iLounge article reveals death grip on Verizon iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Feb 10, 2011.

1. oplix Suspended

oplix

2. BriChi macrumors 6502

yes but they didnt redesign it to fix that issue, the antennas were moved around because they had to be for the CDMA antenna

3. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Seems like many websites must have been misinformed since they were pointing to the redesign changes as a fix for the issue. As far as I was aware, I thought they had introduced a revision to the antenna which isolated it to prevent the death grip issue.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

But unlike with AT&T, it requires a whole massive grip, not a one-finger touch.

5. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

I'm not really sure what you are trying to get at. Are you saying they attempted to fix it, did a half ass job and called it a day?

6. ace198 macrumors regular

It's quite annoying and I only had it since Monday. I now got one of Apple's bumpers because I rather not get a case.

7. bisnicks macrumors regular

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No, I'm just saying in my area it was easy to kill the AT&T signal strength but much harder on my Verizon iPhone.
    I was actually just trying to be funny.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

10. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

these threads make laugh because my verizon iphone doesnt have any kind of antenna issues. ive tried to hold it all kinds of ways and even used both hands to completely hug it and the most signal drop i saw was 1 bar. i did the same to my gf's mytouch 4g and it did the same thing. it happens to most smartphones so try not to blow it out of proportion. im sorry for those folks who are having these issues but it shouldnt be a deciding factor in your iphone purchase

11. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still can't replicate this. Urban legend. Lol.

12. bisnicks macrumors regular

Guys, how can you deny it being there? I just posted a video of my own Verizon iPhone 4 doing it. Does that mean it's a bad phone? HELL NO! It's the best phone I've ever owned! It's just a problem that Apple needs to address in the iPhone 5!

13. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I have the antenna issue when I just simply put my finger on it and watch the bars go down. Thankfully... it's fixed with a case.

14. ace198 macrumors regular

Than you are lucky. I had 5 bars and dropped a call. Didn't know I was doing the death grip till after the fact. When I did it on purpose my signal went from 5 bars to 1. So it's there. FACT!

15. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

This is what is known as trolling. This happened when the ATT iphone 4 came out too. People would deny there was an issue even though it clearly existed.

16. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

A band-aid is not a fix.

17. cjddrum1 macrumors regular

18. Vihzel macrumors 6502

You know what I mean.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Antennas don't have to change when going between ATT GSM and Verizon CDMA. They use the same frequency bands.

From the teardowns, it sounds like they changed things partly to give an extra (diversity) antenna for better phone reception, and partly to give the GPS a bigger antenna.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Has anyone actually returned their phone over this, or just complained a lot?