Im 16, and I am an existing ATT customer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shanew21, Jul 10, 2008.

1. shanew21 macrumors regular

Hi guys, I'm 16 and me and my friend are planning on camping out for an iPhone. I'm currently on a family plan and I have all of my account information. Will I be able to get the iPhone 3G if I have my debit card with me?

2. Type121 macrumors regular

No. You must be 18. Minors cannot sign legally binding contracts.

3. shanew21 thread starter macrumors regular

but im already a customer. So I wouldn't actually be signing a contract

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

you need an over 18 with you to get the iphone, even with a family plan

5. Omnipotentsco macrumors newbie

Incorrect. A Minor can sign a legally binding contract. However, because companies can get burned extremely easily by allowing minors to sign contracts with them they won't allow you to sign a contract with them, because it would be against their best interest.

So the bottom line is no, they won't let you.

6. shanew21 thread starter macrumors regular

alright, but does it need to be the account holder?

7. Type121 macrumors regular

Yeah, technically speaking they can sign contracts. But the minor has the right to void the contract which is why most companies look for an adult to sign instead.

8. Type121 macrumors regular

Everybody buying an iPhone has to sign a new two year contract.

9. macman4291 macrumors regular

I called the At&T store, and the Apple store, and I had the same Concern, they said as long as you are authorized on the Account there isnt any problem...was I being lied to or what?

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Lots of misinformation!

You need to be at least 18. Period. A contract is a legal document. There is no way around this at check out.

11. macman4291 macrumors regular

you might be right, but I will bitch out tomorrow if they dont let me get one, this is wat I was told, ive invested in probably over 10 K in that store, and all hell will break lose if i wait in line for 2 hours to be turned away...they told, 2 different store, that im good, i better be damn good

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you were 16 and they let you do it you can wait 30-days, and likely cancel without paying the ETF fees.

Especially since Apple has widely publicized that the cost of the phone is $199 without showing much of this as being a subsidized price.

13. macman4291 macrumors regular

Im 17, but not 18, it doesnt matter, i have called my apple store 10 times this week, to make i had all my affairs in order...weve bouth 4 macs from the store, numerous software and ipods, we could have gotten a car from all the money weve invested, i will bitch out if they dont sell me one after already getting confirmation i could

14. bleufire macrumors member

It doesn't matter how many macs you bought from them. You are just another customer. If you spent 10k in a store, cool, you can afford toys like that. Claiming you bought such and such worth doesn't mean *pooP*.

Ive bought three dozen games from my local Gamestop. They should let me walk in and buy a game a day early. Sounds kinda silly huh?:rolleyes:

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, i've been with AT&T for over 10 years, and my phone bill is $150 a month, and it's been like that for a year because of our iPhones, bet before that it was $100+.

That isn't including buying phones from there. I've gone well over $10,000, do you think that REALLY matters? No, they don't care.

You need to be 18. I'm telling you now so you can save yourself time and a trip, but if you think your high and mighty, go ahead and waste your time :)

16. island macrumors 6502

island

Seems like no one thinks you can get the phone, but don't sweat it. If you go to an AT&T store, take your chances and you can possibly do it. It might not be allowed but the people who work there might not give a crap. Since you already have an account, they won't ask for your age anyway and chances are they won't even notice it on your ID.

Worst case you leave without a phone, try another store but I would stay away from the Apple Stores as they tend to be robots by the book.

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

He also needs his parents (im assuming this is their account) their SSN. Which, if you are under 18, under law AT&T (and other companys) cannot accept that.

18. bleufire macrumors member

I know with Verizon i just need the last 4 digits and account numbers. Maybe you can luck out the same?

19. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

OMG, I haven't called anyone an idiot today...but you are serious an idiot.

20. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

If you're under 18, chances are you will run into issues. It is quite that simple, and asking all of us who have zero clue as well, you are just wasting time.

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah but, i know for a fact ;)