I'm 18, an Authorized User, and At&t customer...Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spongey817, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Spongey817 macrumors regular

To preface, I've tried using the search function, but have come up empty handed as to an answer to this SPECIFIC question. Thank you...

I am 18 years old and on a family plan with At&t with my parents. I am also an authorized user to make changes to the account. On Friday, I plan to walk into an Apple Store (by myself), add the $30 data plan, and walk out with my 3G iPhone.

Considering I have a valid photo ID, the last 4 digits of the primary account holders SSN, and know the name of the account holder, should I be okay?

I called an Apple Store, and of course, they were clueless...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thank you...

2. acrafton macrumors 6502

I posted a few minutes ago. . .I went into an Apple store today and asked a few questions about adding a phone to a family plan, activation, etc. . .and the Apple employees (3 of them) were like deer in the headlights. They had no clue and finally suggested I go to the ATT store in the same complex. They answered my questions, had a few suggestions, etc and know the process.

My advice is unless you have a simple single phone buy/activate/new plan the ATT store will probably be a better choice. Anything complex and the Apple guys will be lost. The ATT store guys do plans, activations, etc. all day long. The Apple store doesn't and it is obvious.

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Agreed, Apple stores are going to be chaotic come Friday, to no fault of their, they just aren't familiar with phone plans, activating, authorized users, etc,etc...

Unless you're doing a basic activation, ie, main account holder and a new customer, you'd probably be better off going to AT&T..

And I'm sure there's going to be quite a few customers who are going to give these poor Apple store employees a hard time should they pull up account info that the "customer" feels is incorrect... not upgrade eligible, etc,etc..

4. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Luckily my apple store said no problem being an AU as long as you have the info. My store would be the one at the Streets at southpoint in Durham NC.
    personally I think people are making this WAY more complicated than it need be.

5. Spongey817 thread starter macrumors regular

I think you're right. Believe me, I'm fairly educated when it comes to this iPhone stuff. However, it's the mixed messages sent by both At&t and Apple that have people somewhat confused.

In any case, I thank you for the responses. It seems At&t might be the better option, but I fear their stock will not be as plentiful as Apple's. I'll give At&t a call and see what they suggest.

Any other suggestions?

6. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

Hey rablat, Im from Cary. Do you think the apple store at Southpoint will be packed? Did you go last year?

7. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Even if AT&T were to sell out on Friday, they'll be getting more in on Saturday and on a regular basis after Friday...

It's not going to be impossible to find a phone should you want one..

Alot of people are making the iPhone out to resemble the Ninteneo Wii or a hot gaming system...

Oh'Noes, we'z gonna have an iPhone shortage!!11!111!!!!

8. Spongey817 thread starter macrumors regular

As an update to those interested...

I just got off the phone with my local at&t store. The rep (who seemed very knowledgeable) assured me that I'll be able to upgrade to the iPhone without the account holder present. This, assuming that I am an authorized user over the age of 18 with the last 4 digits of the primary account holder's SSN.

Looks like its off to at&t come Friday. Hopefully they'll have a fresh stock of 16 gb White iPhones for me...:rolleyes:

9. Spongey817 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to comment on this post...

Both the Apple store and at&t stores locally reported shortages in my area shortly after the launch, so my worrying is based on previous experience.

Also, last year the 8 gb model sold at a much faster pace then the 4 gb model. Considering I'm buying the white 16gb iPhone...I'd say I have reason to be a bit more cautious.

10. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I think you will be safe most are gonna go for the cheap.
    And i think the 16ers will go for black for the most part.

kovalchuk71
    You got PM

11. CIrawI3riCIge macrumors member

Maybe they should be trained to handle relevant inquiries and issues. I mean, they are coordinating the in-store activation process. They know exactly what to expect Friday and should be able to handle it wisely.