I'm 2 hours from ordering a Macbook SR...bad idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babond, Nov 17, 2007.

1. babond macrumors member

So I really need a new computer and although I love Macs I'm not dead set on them. I have $1400 to spend and was planning on getting a new Macbook but I'm scared because of all the bad hype. Have all the previous Macbooks got this much negative hype? What do you guys think I should do? White Macbook with 2gigs of ram or something else?

2. Mangolda macrumors newbie

I would definitely get one if you can im loving my only had it since thursday and have has no problem i have the 2.2 and 2 gig of ram it runs amazingly quick, make my PC look crap with is 3.4 and 4 gigs of ram, you will not regret it.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

don't worry. only people with bad apples post. most are very happy. You should def buy since they've just been updated.

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I love mine :) get the ram from the link below soooo cheap

5. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

wow your confused? either you want to buy it or not remember its your money , are you really looking for permission? j/k:)

look macs have there problems but either your a mac user or not.

the new macbooks have to got through the small glitches that every other machine has to go through.
    i love my mac glitches and all!

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I don't know if you are a current mac user, or an admirer who fancys the thought of a Mac. (I was one of those for years) But most people who like macs, tend to use them, and want to stick with them. And for those of us who "need" windows, we use bootcamp or parallels.

But honestly - coming to a Mac forum looking for advice on whether you should buy an Apple or something else... Is like going to GW and asking him his opinion on the war in Iraq. You're going to get seriously biased feedback, and a lot of fluff.

From a hardware standpoint, you get more for your dollar in the PC world. From a finished hardware standpoint (integration with OS - ease of use and "style") Macs seem to have the upper hand. But you pay for that. What do you need it for? Intended use?

7. Osprey macrumors 6502

I can't specifically speak for the MB, but I can tell you that I made the switch this summer and was worried to death for six weeks to wait and see if my new MBP would have a yellow screen. I had returned a beautiful new laptop that had Vista because I couldn't get Vista to work well. I really love my MBP and intend on buying my husband one as well. I still use Windows at work, but I can't begin to tell you how much more stable my MBP and Tiger have been. There may be some issues in Leopard that still need to be worked out, but I believe they will address them as soon as possible. I can't tell you what to do, but having come from Windows, I won't buy another Windows machine unless Apple totally messes up somehow.;)

8. dantherevelator macrumors regular

I just picked up my new 2.2 blackbook two days ago, and I'm loving it. The screen is astounding, the keyboard is clickaliscious and battery life has pleasantly surprised me. I say go for it!

9. babond thread starter macrumors member

well i have an ibook that is four years old but has seen its last day as of earlier last week. i just want to make sure all these glitches are fix(able) through leopard updates and what not. ive had an amazing experience with my ibook and LOVE the whole mac interface but i need another laptop that will last me four years and still be able to hold its own like the ibook. i use my computer for the basic college kid stuff (browing the web....photos....MUSIC!!!...writing papers). i do a very tiny bit of recording and photoshop on the side. i am in desperate need of another computer and while i considered a desktop i really dont want to lose the ability to take my computer to class and on vacations.

10. Romulus macrumors regular

Think about buying a pro... In retrospect, that's what I would have got now... You get more performance, a bigger screen, a quieter machine, in the same WEIGHT package... yes, macbook slightly smaller, but weight is almost the same... and that's what counts when you move this thing around.

Otherwise, for everyday stuff, I love my macbook. Only complain in 1 year plus of operation - it could be quieter and lighter...

11. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, BIG mistake ... you will regret it for years and keep thinking, "I could have bought a Gateway notebook for so much less." :eek:

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

The Pro is quieter?? I don't know about that...I can't remember the last time I heard my Macbook.

The Macbook is slightly smaller? It's quite a bit smaller, seeming as the Macbook is 13.3" and the Pro is 15.4"...that's over two inches smaller...quite a bit of real estate, IMO.

Weight is the same because its almost the same machine.

There's NOTHING wrong with a Macbook. 9 out of 10 times, subjective reasoning will determine what an individual purchases when comparing these two machines.

14. iViking macrumors 6502

With the Santa Rose platform, I have been in possession of 5 quiet MBP's, and 3 noisy MB's, so I'd agree with the original poster that the pro is much quieter.

15. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

The pro is not quieter then my macbook and the keyboard is much better then my pro.....

16. minutePulsation macrumors member

minutePulsation

I find my pro is mildly louder than my macbook...

17. unixfool macrumors 6502a

So, that makes the opinion more objective? I can say the same when comparing friends' and coworkers' Pros to my Macbook...but I didn't say that because I'm trying to prove the point that each person is going to have different experiences. For instance, I certainly haven't been through 8 Macs in such a short timeframe...does one person going through such a high number of machines mean that faulty machines are commonplace? No. Does one person experiencing 3 noisy Macbooks mean that ALL MBs will be noisy? No.

In the end, people are gonna have to judge for themselves and not let biased opinions get the best of them.

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

Except all the "college kid stuff" the OP was talking about could easily and effortlessly be handled by the MacBook. Plus, the OP's budget is $1400. So I'm not sure why you would suggest this. :confused:

19. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I agree. Pure bias is why people suggest this. It's basically the same machine as the MB, minus the aluminum and the graphics card. Unless the OP is a multimedia major, he's prolly not gonna need a Pro.

20. D4F Guest

D4F

What bad hype?
    This is a whiners forum. **** I whine too:p but I love my SR MB.
    It has glitches... but... ever seen a PC without any??
    I do get pissed off on the WiFi issues but hopefully they will get fixed.

The value of SR MB and it's specs make MBP look rather funny in my opinion.
    Only thing i miss is the firewire 800 port but besides it I would never spend $500 more for a MBP.

I got a 24" monitor at home and with 13" the MB is a master of portability.

21. harrymohan macrumors member

My macbook SR is working perfectly fine, I got it like 3 days back and it boots up in 15secs and shuts down in 5 secs. Config is 2 gb ram , 4mb cache, 120 gb hdd. Wifi has no problems at all and its totally quiet.:)

22. MBM355 macrumors newbie

Guys please excuse the stupid question but... what does "sr" mean?

Thanks.

23. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

24. MBM355 macrumors newbie

Thanks, so if I just purchased a Macbook pro does it have it?
    Sorry for getting off topic.

25. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If "just purchased" constitutes: Bought new, legally, sometime recent (in this year), from Apple. Yes, you should have one.