Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I'm very impressed by this.
I installed BeeJive and IM+ at the weekend while they were discounted.

My first impressions of push on both are good. :)

For me, IM+ wins, as most of my contacts are on Skype, so Skype chat is essential.

I also noticed that the BeeJive server kept losing the connection to the Google Talk server, whereas IM+ seems to keep you logged in for longer.

Interfacewise, BeeJive is cleaner and more Mac-like, and once BeeJive support Skype (and fix their server problems) I will probably switch to it.

For now though, I am blown away by how well IM+ and its push notifications is working.

MaroW

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Gee, why didn't I think of turning push on? :rolleyes:

It took 12+ hours for me till IM+ started pushing my twitter DM's and replies and it still doesn't push some of them...

seems to be a problem related to twitter... cause icq and skype push instantly...

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
I bought IM+ today, had Beejive already installed. Deleted the latter right away. It never worked properly anyway.

IM+, on the other hand, works like a charm. It also supports Skype.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I've been extremely impressed with IM+ since the update. I have yet to receive a push from Twitter but everything else is perfect.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I am having one issue with skype chat and push. The account seems to be going offline, about an hour after I exit the app.

My options are set to stay logged on for a day.
My gmail account is remaining logged in and doesn't seem to have this issue. Anyone else?

jman800

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Cheaper doesnt mean better. That took no common sense. If you make an app 5 dollars compared to 15 dollars, yes it will outsell the more expensive one. Doesnt mean its better by any stretch of even a warped imagination.

Their the same price you moron.
$9.99 and $9.99

Oh and I didn't remeber this thread being about which App is better. But of course, everyone has to come in and preach about how they think Beejive is so much better to make themselves feel better of their $10 dollar purchase.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Their the same price you moron.
$9.99 and $9.99

Uh, you might have been misinformed. The price of the app that bbplayer5 was talking about was
the less expensive one, there was a moment they priced it at US $0.99, up to a range
of US $9.99 - which shows now.

Here's their price fluctuation link

As long as an app works I'm fine with it, no need to use that kind of language though

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
I am having one issue with skype chat and push. The account seems to be going offline, about an hour after I exit the app.

My options are set to stay logged on for a day.
My gmail account is remaining logged in and doesn't seem to have this issue. Anyone else?

I have the exact same issue. I've sent customer support an email about it. Let's see what they have to say about it...

docradio

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
Same problem here. I get disconnected from skype chat and icq 10-20 minutes after closing the app. Is this a server problem?

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Same problem here. I get disconnected from skype chat and icq 10-20 minutes after closing the app. Is this a server problem?

It must be an issue on their servers. I have also sent an email to their support and I suggest others affected do the same.

This problem rather limits the usefulness of push notifications for Skype, but I suspect it can be fixed at their end, and will not require an app update. Let's hope they sort it soon.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
I have IM+ and like it. But I do have a qustion. Is it not possible to automatically set myself as away when I close the app? If so, where?

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I have IM+ and like it. But I do have a qustion. Is it not possible to automatically set myself as away when I close the app? If so, where?

I think you have to disable "push". :-(

You are right. There should be a third status setting for when the app is closed and push is enabled.

deetle

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
A lot of people were blaming this on Beejive and it wasn't them. I had friends on PC's tell me their AIM wouldn't work, same for Facebook IM. I had the same problem with AIM on iChat as well.. so it was AIM/Facebook more than it was Beejive. All third party clients were having problems with Yahoo, too.

A good app should still shine in a non perfect world. It's should
not be something new that a server might have issues once in a while. Beejive gave good excamples what one should not
do when their are server issues.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
well i really get droped out alot on beejive with facebook the twitter push is handy and i have to say i think the push is a almost instant on IM+ i think beejive has a lil delay

palu

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
I've got the same skype issue. I go offline after about 20 mins after closing IM+... I've bought the application as soon as It has been released and the first days skype remained connected. I've got this disconnecion problem since 5 days more or less... let's hope they'll fix it soon!!

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
I got a reply from shape services (makers of IM+):

---------

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting us.

Due to technical restrictions on Skype servers, your Skype
account remains connected only for 15 minutes after you
have closed IM+.

Please feel free to contact us if you need any further assistance.

--------

Not a very helpful reply. My reply was to ask if it will get fixed. Let's see what they answer...

palu

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
I got a reply from shape services (makers of IM+):

---------

Hello ,

Due to technical restrictions on Skype servers, your Skype
account remains connected only for 15 minutes after you
have closed IM+.

--------

Not a very helpful reply. My reply was to ask if it will get fixed. Let's see what they answer...

So... it seems not to be a technical problem od Im+ but a rescriction by skype... I don't think it's fair... MAybe skype wants to have the monopoly with his own app to offer a real push service... It's a shame... I bough Im+ just to use it with skype...

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
So... it seems not to be a technical problem od Im+ but a rescriction by skype... I don't think it's fair... MAybe skype wants to have the monopoly with his own app to offer a real push service... It's a shame... I bough Im+ just to use it with skype...

I got a slightly different response:

We have designed IM+ to disconnect from Skype in 15 minutes
in order to avoid sending duplicated history.

Sounds like a bug work around to me....

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I hope they fix it soon. I would love Skype to always be on and get push notifications when I'm on the go.

Absolutely! Google Talk is staying logged on and working perfectly, but unfortunately most of my contacts are on skype...!

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
I just got another email from them:

Hello,

Our developers managed to increase Skype push session to 1 hour.

They continue working on increasing the time of push session.

Well, at least it's getting better...

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Is anyone else having problems with their buddy icon? Mine (and someone on my buddy list) is stuck as the default icon and won't change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.