I'm 99% sure my upgrade date changed, AT&T disagrees...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mopppish, Oct 9, 2011.

1. mopppish macrumors 6502

Hi.
    So, I've had an iPhone since the 3GS launch day.
    My girlfriend got one the very next day, and we had a family plan from that point forward.
    Come iPhone 4 launch, I was eligible for an upgrade and she was not. Too bad for her, but it made sense since i was the primary account holder. I upgraded to an iPhone 4 only a couple weeks after launch (had to reserve one and wait a bit).
    In the summer of this year, I'm almost totally positive that I checked my upgrade eligibility (in anticipation of a new one being announced) and found that I was eligible for an upgrade again. I liked the plan of buying each iPhone as it was released and selling the old one to essentially break even.
    Alas, now that the 4s has actually been announced, my upgrade eligibility is 03/2012!
    Two things have happened since the summer. One is that I consolidated my Uverse and wireless billing, which has caused other minor billing problems, leading me to believe that it wouldn't be too far-fetched to suspect that this somehow messed up my upgrade date. The other is that last month, we cancelled my girlfriend's line (she's doing grad school in Ireland).
    The AT&T rep told me that neither of these actions should have changed my eligibility. He also said that customers paying $100 or more a month (which we were) get eligibility in a year, otherwise it's 18 months.
    None of this seems to add up. How can it be that paying $120 a month earned me a 1 year upgrade cycle, canceling the girlfriend's line in September supposedly doesn't have an effect on that, and yet now I'm still not eligible until 03/2012?
    I'm fine with not upgrading every time IF I'm not eligible. However, I probably would have purchased applecare for my 4 at the last minute if I knew I wouldn't be eligible until March of next year. So, of course, I would very MUCH like to upgrade if I'm supposed to be able to.
    What a pain...

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The more you spend, the more they'll bump up your upgrade. All these little changes do affect your eligibility including axing your girl's line.

3. sqreone macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with them once. They refused to do anything about it in their stores and over the phone. Terribly rude customer service representative no less. I canceled and switched to Verizon as soon as I could earlier this year. If I were you I'd cancel and switch to Verizon for reliability or Sprint for the unlimited data.

Trust me, you don't want to stay with ATT when you could just pay the ETF and move on.