iPad Pro I'm a big iPad fan but isn't the Surface Pro more of a "pro" than the new iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Nov 13, 2018.

1. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

The money aspect is certainly valid, but just from a user perspective, I much prefer having a touch-dedicated OS and find the experience of iOS much more pleasant than Windows 10 on hybrids. I used to own a Cintiq Companion 2 which was both a laptop and a tablet, and I never used it as a tablet because from OS to 90% of apps, things just weren’t optimized for tablet usage. I also like how Mac does laptop things - from big trackpads to macOS itself which I vastly prefer to Windows for many reasons.

So, without taking money into account, in a choice between a good Windows hybrid like Surface Pro or Surface Book and a MacBook + iPad combination, I went Apple.

2. huabiao macrumors newbie

huabiao

As a mobile solution for a digital artist I’d say the Ipad Pro / Surface is a winner. but if you want to do digital art you really need a graphics tablet .

I do a lot of digital painting as well, and I've discovered something very interesting about my workflow. If my principal aim is to paint or draw something, the iPad running Procreate and the Apple Pencil still feels the most responsive of all of my systems, even on file sizes exceeding 6000 pixels on one side.

However, if I need to do any heavy-duty image processing, or do some particular detail work on my iPad paintings (e.g., building and compositing 3D elements, or running Maya/zBrush), my XP-Pen Artist 16 Pro Display Tablet monitor ( https://www.xp-pen.com/goods/show/id/251.html ) is incredibly responsive (faster than any Surface machine with a far superior stylus). but Artist 16 Pro need connect to my mac .

3. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Yeah, Procreate and similar apps + iPad are the best for illustration, but for 3D work, I still need my Mac. For Zbrush and desktop Photoshop I use Astropad alongside my iPad Pro. Works really well with Zbrush. I also purchased the Luna dongle so I can use it as a separate monitor, but it worked well even without it.