Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaredisme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
So my family has had an AT&T family plan for at least 2 years (I think actually over 3) but I was only added to it about 10 months ago. So now I want to upgrade my phone to an iPhone 3G, will I qualify for the subsidized price or not?

Also, I have a low end, basic phone.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
People who already have the iPhone are upgrade elibible I know that. I'm not sure what it would take for you to be upgrade eligible while using a non-iPhone.

saxamoophone

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
So my family has had an AT&T family plan for at least 2 years (I think actually over 3) but I was only added to it about 10 months ago. So now I want to upgrade my phone to an iPhone 3G, will I qualify for the subsidized price or not?

Also, I have a low end, basic phone.

By default, no, you won't qualify for the subsidized pricing. You might be able to "steal" a upgrade from another line your family has...but otherwise you would have to wait another 10-14 months before you qualify for that price.

Now it would be great if at&t/apple released the unsubsidized price...but...yeahhhh

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
My last phone died in late June/early July of last year, and the first iPhone was missing two features I wanted, most notably 3G. So I got a Blackjack instead. They put me on a 18 month contract.

Now, I just called AT&T CS today to ask why I wouldn't be eligible, and I told them that if I was going to get the iPhone, I would be upgrading my monthly plan. The rep talked his manager (I doubt he actually did) and said that if I converted to a new plan now they could make me upgrade eligible. So I converted to a plan for the same price, but on the AT&T Nation plans, I used to have a really old plan. Now I'm set to go on July 11th. They didn't renew my contract yet, they will do that on the 11th.

Moral of the story: If you aren't eligible, call them, and tell them you want to spend more money. They will most likely take care of you.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
My last phone died in late June/early July of last year, and the first iPhone was missing two features I wanted, most notably 3G. So I got a Blackjack instead. They put me on a 18 month contract.

Now, I just called AT&T CS today to ask why I wouldn't be eligible, and I told them that if I was going to get the iPhone, I would be upgrading my monthly plan. The rep talked his manager (I doubt he actually did) and said that if I converted to a new plan now they could make me upgrade eligible. So I converted to a plan for the same price, but on the AT&T Nation plans, I used to have a really old plan. Now I'm set to go on July 11th. They didn't renew my contract yet, they will do that on the 11th.

Moral of the story: If you aren't eligible, call them, and tell them you want to spend more money. They will most likely take care of you.

A lot better than paying the speculated unsubsidized price of $400 and $500.

saxamoophone

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Good Points!

Maybe I'll downgrade my plan (drop the data and texts) then give them a call and see what they say ;)

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
everyone is confused about their policy, even those writing it, that's why there are so many rumors floating out there, the story changes by the minute.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
A lot better than paying the speculated unsubsidized price of $400 and $500.

And I need to upgrade my minutes anyway, I've been coasting the last few months on rollover, but I'm almost out of those right now, and by the time the 3G comes out, I'll be out, so the whole thing was a win-win for me.

They aren't going to try and upset people that want to give them two year contracts, so I expect just about anything will get them to make you eligible.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Here's my story on this topic:

I signed a new 2 year contract w/ AT&T in March. I did so assuming the new iPhone wouldn't be subsidized. However, I used my OWN blackberry to sign up... I did not buy my BB from AT&T. (I did not get an iPhone) So since AT&T didn't subsidize the cost of my phone, I figure I'm entitled to the new iPhone pricing/upgrade for existing customers. Right?

Checked my upgrade status the other day... naturally it says I can't upgrade until Nov 2009. Screw that.

Called 611, told them my story. After a little arguing they agreed to make an account note that my phone is my OWN and I'm entitled to an upgrade at any time in my contract. Not trusting the customer service agent I visited a Corporate Store and told them my story. Thankfully the dude at the counter said he could do an early upgrade in my particular case because I used my own phone when signing up.

Moral of the story: ASK. It looks like these drolls in the AT&T stores have the capability of waiving the stupid "wait 18 months for upgrade eligibility" policy if you give them a reasonable excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.