I'm a bit scared. Are all the Nvidia 8600 chipset defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doppiabeo, Jul 14, 2008.

1. doppiabeo macrumors newbie

Good morning to everyone. I'm really concerned 'bout my new MBP. I've read on some forums and also some articles, that all g84 and g86 (nvidia 8600GT) chips are defective. Is it true? My MBP becomes really hot (about 77-80°C) when I play old games like Warcraft 3 or World of Warcraft... is this a clue of a defect of the graphic chip? Apple censored a post (exactly) like this on their support forums, so I post here looking for a feedback from the community.
    Thanks in advance for the repley.
    G.

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. doppiabeo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm reading... and I'm reading also the article from the inquire. It's really impressive. There are a lot of posts here. Customers are scared (they're right IMHO, I'm scared too), and Apple should give them a repley. At least.

5. doppiabeo thread starter macrumors newbie

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well if you research the forums, having idle temps in the 60's is normal for mb's and mbp's and having them in mid-high 80's under load is also common

7. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hmm...

My MacBook Pro with the 8600m GT was made last year, I think (it's a June 5th '07 revision but bought in January), and it's absolutely fine. Our family actually has three of the same generation, all with the same GPU, and all of them are just dandy! ;)

8. bart rijksen macrumors regular

mine are much lower, under full load, the highest they go is 80. Also my idle temp is much lower when i unplug the power, 10 degrees Celsius cooler

9. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Not everyone is having the issue. I don't think its quite as widespread as many people think just because there have been no huge stories/articles in the media. I mean, there could be some nvidia coverup like some are saying, but think about it, if 100% are defective and so many people are really having issues it would be in the news. Think of all the people at the New York Times, The Washington Post, The Chicago Sun Times, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX, etc who have Macbook pros with these GPUs, I'm assuming a lot, and if 100% of them had dying GPUs someone would be like hey... what's going on here?

But then again look at what passes for news these days... so much for investigative journalism.

10. magallanes macrumors regular

I wish the fail will be present in any machine, cause Apple will be forced to send a replacement part for free.

In my case, and controlling the fan speed, my mbp runs at 35ºC idle and 60ºC at 3d gaming.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

what speed do you set your fan at?