I'm a complete idiot, I need to vent, and I need advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac-mania, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mac-mania macrumors member

Hey guys, if you're up for a long story then please sit down and join in. Otherwise I'm warning you to move on now.

Still here? You were warned. Back in 2005, I got my first Mac, a graduation present, which was an iBook, I got an iPod shortly after, and I was in heaven. However, a time came, about a year and a half later, where I moved on to a Windows PC because unfortunately, I needed to. So, I sat on that HP laptop for a while, and I apparently have ADD. I reformatted literally every week, for nearly 2 years, until after working a whole summer for my uncle (networking, tech support and home theaters) I had enough money to buy again. I got myself an iPhone 3G, and kicked around about my next computer. I had used laptops for so long I was accustomed to them, but unfortunately all the MacBooks at the time only had X3100 GMA graphics, so I shyed away and ended up buying an iMac.

It was different at first, but I grew used to a desktop, and grew happy with it, then later came into quite a bit of money in March and bought a unibody Macbook. So I had both but it annoyed me having both. They weren't in sync and it felt like I had two awesome computers and could only use one at a time. Well, my friend made me an offer on my iMac and I decided I'd sell it and buy a 24'' cinema display. Then with the money in hand, I said hey, why not sell the Macbook too, take the 2100 dollars and buy a really sick desktop pc. Well, eventually I bought a netbook, a cheap monitor and waited, and waited and just received an awesome Alienware desktop.

The problem is, I hate it, but I've jumped around so much, and been so indecisive I look like a tool to my friends and family. If I return the Alienware, I eat about 250.00 in restocking fees, not to mention then need to do something with this big monitor, and razer gaming keyboard and mouse I bought. But I don't want to keep it out of penny pinching, it was a stupid mistake yes, but that's not worth keeping it is it?

I mean, I spent about 400.00 on my netbook, and 1700 on the desktop, for that money I could buy a Macbook Pro instead of this huge loud monstrosity, but am I just being indecisive. If I want to return it I have to ship it back and wait weeks to receive my money back.

I don't know exactly what I'm asking for here guys, I guess I just need to talk to someone other then my family and friends who think with all the buying and selling and stuff that I'm off my rocker. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it, I'm out of my head.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Therapy
    2) ADD/ADHD medication
    3) You've slept around/dated both Mac and PC - grow up and commit. Or - get a Mac and you can run OS X and Windows on the same machine.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The therapy would likely cost a lot more than the computer or the restocking fee.

If they think you need therapy, let them pay.

Otherwise a MacBook Pro is likely cheaper therapy than either meds or counseling.

Edit: But then again, the drugs the shrinks have available with prescriptions can alter your view of the world.

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

It's your money so you are allowed to spend it how you want to so don't listen to your friends and just do what makes you happy and I would suggest getting a midrange 15" MBP.

ChrisN

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think the OP is secretly my coworker....

Also ADD medicine doesn't work all that great : / (At least for me)

First off, you have to ask yourself (and tell us) what you want a computer for. To me it sounds like you like hardcore gaming (although I'd stay away from Alienware and build yourself a nice computer if gaming is what you want)

If you want it for productivity and such I would suggest the mac. It also sounded like you were a lot happier with the mac. I use my mac for gaming all the time (the mac in my sig). If its not a mac compatible game I boot into bootcamp and play it on windows. With a mac I can have the best of both worlds :D

6. bentvalve macrumors newbie

I am going to suggest an atypical antipsychotic medication such as Risperdal, Seroquel or Clozaril.

7. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

Take a cleansing breath my son!

[Settle down. It seems like you are on a conspicuous consumption tare. stop what you are doing, and think about what it is that you want out your computing experience. Really think about things, and don't settle. Stick with your decision- that is commitment.

sek

QUOTE=mac-mania;7801285]Hey guys, if you're up for a long story then please sit down and join in. Otherwise I'm warning you to move on now.

Still here? You were warned. Back in 2005, I got my first Mac, a graduation present, which was an iBook, I got an iPod shortly after, and I was in heaven. However, a time came, about a year and a half later, where I moved on to a Windows PC because unfortunately, I needed to. So, I sat on that HP laptop for a while, and I apparently have ADD. I reformatted literally every week, for nearly 2 years, until after working a whole summer for my uncle (networking, tech support and home theaters) I had enough money to buy again. I got myself an iPhone 3G, and kicked around about my next computer. I had used laptops for so long I was accustomed to them, but unfortunately all the MacBooks at the time only had X3100 GMA graphics, so I shyed away and ended up buying an iMac.

It was different at first, but I grew used to a desktop, and grew happy with it, then later came into quite a bit of money in March and bought a unibody Macbook. So I had both but it annoyed me having both. They weren't in sync and it felt like I had two awesome computers and could only use one at a time. Well, my friend made me an offer on my iMac and I decided I'd sell it and buy a 24'' cinema display. Then with the money in hand, I said hey, why not sell the Macbook too, take the 2100 dollars and buy a really sick desktop pc. Well, eventually I bought a netbook, a cheap monitor and waited, and waited and just received an awesome Alienware desktop.

The problem is, I hate it, but I've jumped around so much, and been so indecisive I look like a tool to my friends and family. If I return the Alienware, I eat about 250.00 in restocking fees, not to mention then need to do something with this big monitor, and razer gaming keyboard and mouse I bought. But I don't want to keep it out of penny pinching, it was a stupid mistake yes, but that's not worth keeping it is it?

I mean, I spent about 400.00 on my netbook, and 1700 on the desktop, for that money I could buy a Macbook Pro instead of this huge loud monstrosity, but am I just being indecisive. If I want to return it I have to ship it back and wait weeks to receive my money back.

I don't know exactly what I'm asking for here guys, I guess I just need to talk to someone other then my family and friends who think with all the buying and selling and stuff that I'm off my rocker. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it, I'm out of my head.[/QUOTE]

8. mac-mania thread starter macrumors member

I think therapy would be worth it at this point.

Anyways, the truth of the matter is, I'm nothing. I'm a computer guy, and it's not that I'm a sham it's just I never actually need the worlds fastest computer, and yet I talk myself into it. I decided I wanted an overly powerful windows computer to (no fanyboyism intended or anything) prevent it from acting like my past experience with windows.

It's funny, the most I really do with my computer is browse the web and maybe play World of Warcraft.

9. Lipstick macrumors member

Boy, people are never really happy. :rolleyes: Browsing and World of Warcraft only... why did you buy an Alienware in the first place? I say suck it in and keep it OR take the loss. (restocking fee and everything) I mean, only you can make that decision. Money just doesn't grow on trees. Be happy with what you have and be glad you're not a struggling student trying to get a Mac.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

None of this is an actual indication that you have ADD. ;)

Just pay the $250 restocking fee and fix this mistake while you still can. It's better than keeping a computer you hate for another year. It appears from your track record that you'd end up selling the Alienware PC later in order to fix your problem anyway, so you may as well do it now.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that describes me but i get fast computers, just not the fastest and i dont play computer games

seriously, i just use my quad core pc for freaking macrumors and email these days as i no longer have school work to do on it lol

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you buy prev gen refurbs, you'll save enough $$ for the therapy bills:D

13. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Honestly, get/keep the computer that works best. Stop switching and just because the MacBook Pro's are now cheaper does not necessarily mean that you have to get it.

Get what you need. If you need a Desktop and would use Windows more than a Mac OS, then get a PC. If I were you though, I would avoid alienware and custom build your own desktop... like literally build it yourself. You will save a lot of money and get to know your computer more. I custom built mine two years ago and its still with me :) working as if it was new.

I know everything about it, whats in it and any future upgrades I need which wont be for another year or two.

14. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Most likely for the netbook your answers are here. Not sure about the Alienware, but they may have the solution also. http://www.insanelymac.com/

15. moez macrumors regular

Ill also barge in:

Send the computer back. Ask for a reduction in restocking fee but if they dont then its okay... its only $250. Better than regretting for the next year or so.

Buy a macbook pro (13 or 15") and use the monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. externally. You would have to buy an adapter but is workable.

This way, you dont 'waste' your money and get a system you like!

16. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Definitely pay the restocking fee, and buy something that will make you happy.

When you compromise, you end up paying twice. (Once for the compromise, and a second time when you actually buy what you wanted)

I'm also a very indecisive person when it comes to expensive purchases as well. I will sit and stare at the checkout screen for a good 10-15 minutes sometimes, just going back and forth in my head. (I used to run wild with my music obsession, but recently I've been saying "no" to myself more and more often :p )

Good luck with whatever you end up buying!

17. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

My advice is to think about what you want to do and stick to it. Otherwise you are going to end up losing a lot of money

18. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I'd go with the option of sending the Alienware back and getting a 15" MBP and running boot camp on it. That way you get the best laptop and the best of both worlds.

Btw, Ritalin never worked that well for me, I'm extremely indecisive too, don't worry, crazy is just a burden that intelligent people must bear.;)

19. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I`d love see you with a Mac. But first try and give Win 7 a try(in case you are using Vista). I havent tried it my self but it seems to getting a hell lot better reviews than Vista. The RC is available for free and you can use it for atleast 8-9 months before shelling out the cash for it. See if Win 7 improves your experience with Alienware. It wont help the loudness of alienware but still give it a try. If you still arent happy with that then welcome back;). Get an MBP with 9600 GPU. 8 hours of battery life combined with Snow leopard should keep you happy for a couple of years. And you yourself admit you were always happy with your Macs compared to the Win PC which you hated. Accept it. You ARE a Mac.:D

As far as the monitor, Keyb etc are concerned eBay is always an option to recover atleast some of your financial losses.

IMO you dont really need therapy. Maybe a vacation every now n then to cool things off. Just my 2 cents. Still if you dont feel great then take a look around you. You`ll see a lot of unfortunate people who cant even get food/shelter for themselves, let alone a Mac or an alienware. That should help put things in perspective. Do anything which makes you feel good.

20. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Sounds like you already know what you should do. You just don't like
    what it will cost.

Everybody screws up. Buy a nice MBP 15 and enjoy. Calm down (play less games).

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. Second previous comments about taking the time to find out what you really need and eating the restock fee...if you mess around with a computer you don't want and sell it later on, you'll take a bigger hit on the sale than the restocking fee.

2. Once you've done that, look at the apple resale store, or CL to get what you really want for a discount...I'm starting to be convinced that only suckers pay retail for electronics. I've been suckered myself a few times.

3. IMO, ADD can be aggravated through diet, especially sugar and foods with a high glycemic index. Try cutting out the white stuff before you fill your head with a bunch of meds.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Return it...If you hate it now...just wait...

23. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

That was a long story, here's your short answer:

Why should you care what people think if the money you are spending is yours? Are you the type who needs other peoples approval to feel good about yourself?!? Just return and pay the restocking fee and buy what you want. Or, would you rather keep everything and be miserable just to keep others happy? Sheesh!

$250 is a small price to pay for happiness and piece of mind. Call it the price of a lesson learned.

24. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Hhahah-You are exactly like me.

June 2006-Bought first Mac-White MB. Used it for 3 months-missed Windows-returned and bought a Dell Inspiron 6400

June 2007-Bought a MBP, Sold dell Inspiron 6400. Missed Windows-Amazon would not take back MBP-Sold it on craigslist-bought another Inspiron 6400 from craigslist.

June 2008-Sold the Inspiron 6400 and bought another Macbook Pro from Apple refurb store. Missed Windows-Returned for 10% re-stocking fee-Bought a Refurbished Dell Inspiron XPS m1530.

June 2009-Sold XPS m1530, bought Unibody MBP. NOT GOING TO RETURN IT-LOVE IT AND GETTING USED IT.
    Reason-Borrowed a friends Mac and used it for 3 months before buying this one.

P.S-When I started typing this, I thought this would be funny but I think I'm an idiot. Hhaha..

But this time my mind is made up-or is it?

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well get MBP. I rarely use my iMac. Been using MBP mainly.

I have a PowerMac G4 with 6 harddrives in it as server / download machine.