I'm a dozy **** and I need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marky_Mark, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Ok, my MBP was on a bed, open, and I go and sit on it. Result, the right hand leading edge has compressed a little and the CD slot is now *just* slightly too narrow to easily allow a CD to slide in. The CD slot is bowed in the middle so it's still slightly wider than a disk, but it's too snug a fit, with just too much effort required, to risk putting a CD all the way in because the drive eject mechanism won't be strong enough to exert the force needed to get the disk back out.

Yes, I DO feel a complete twonk for not paying attention.

Short of doing the obvious, which is a complete bottom case replacement, anyone have any ideas what would make a good tool for spreading the slot apart again on my CD drive? It has to be strong enough to spread the slot, soft enough not to damage the metal, thin enough to fit in the space, shallow enough to not reach into the drive itself...I've discounted pencils, screwdrivers, cold chisels, coins...then ran out of ideas.

I would welcome your thoughts, guys. No rubberneckers asking for photos of the damage, serious suggestions only, please. As one will appreciate, this is a rather upsetting time... :(

Thanks

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can't see anything good coming form this. Bite the bullet and replace the bottom case.

3. chex macrumors regular

pics would actually be quite useful in trying to figure out what to use

4. kolax macrumors G3

Permission to laugh?! That made my day!

Seriously though, sorry to hear that - you are just wanting to sort out the slot drive?

I'd take it to Apple or a qualified repairer and get advice first - see if they are willing to point in directions for any DIY stuff. Worth a bash.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. Marky_Mark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Right then. I just looked on PBFixIt and the prospect of parting with $249 plus labour spurred me into decisive action.

A thin brochure slid into the slot, with a metal ruler up the inside. A couple of judicious twists (which sounds more brutal than it was) has spread the slot back, and I made sure I used the ruler at a very broad angle (almost parallel with the edge of the MBP) to spread the load and ensure the slot didn't get mangled around the edges. A finishing touch with a shaving brush ensured no particles of paper went inside the drive.

Thank the lord that little nightmare is over. I was starting to panic a bit. :eek:

Note to self. Don't leave your MBP on the bloody bed! :rolleyes:

7. kolax macrumors G3

Hehe.

Any pics of the surgery or finished surgery?

8. Marky_Mark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Nah too late at night to start now, and frankly I'd rather just put the whole sorry episode behind me. It's far too expensive mistake to make and I'm still kicking myself about it all.

If I'd sat down like a boulder falling off a cliff like I normally do, or if I hadn't jumped straight up again as if I was sitting on a hot plate it could've been even worse!

:eek:

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Did you learn your lesson, then? Look before you sit. Anyway, I would have suggested a clean piece of wood or the tip of a screwdriver wrapped in a thin cloth....but your method worked. :)

10. dannewell15 macrumors regular

scaled down jaws of life? :)

What about a pair of needle nosed/crocodile pliers? You could try putting them in closed and then pulling the handles apart.

disclaimer:I accept no responsibility whatsoever for the welfare of your MBP

sorry to hear your bad news dude.

evidently the bird of misfourtune is hovering over your head waiting to crap on you.

11. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

What I would do is take a screw driver, (flathead) and wrap something soft around the end. Stick it in between and twist. Do it very lightly. If you wrapped the end of the Screw driver with a think towel or something it should keep it from gouging the metal. But do it very softly... not all at once... just little twists... move it around and do it in many places ...not just in one. If you are gonna go spend the money to get it replaced you might as well TRY to fix it yourself first... can imagine it doing any harm... just don't damage any thing that hasn't already been bent.

B

12. kolax macrumors G3

Haven't you guys heard...he's already fixed it.

Might be an idea to read a topic before posting? ;)

13. janibrooke macrumors newbie

warped cd slot sort of fixed

My husband decided to fix the warped cd slot, so he (brace yourself) used a butterknife to open the slot just a wee bit. I tested it and the cd goes in and out okay. Unfortunately he scratched it up a bit. Nevertheless, it works now. Another recent problem I had was the same MacbookPro blacked out/ slow speed, unable to start properly. The perfect cure was inserting "Disk Warrior" into my newly usable, scratched up cd slot. My computer is happily working again and all is right with the world. Do they have purple hearts for computers?

14. one1 macrumors 65816

This would have been my answer. I type it out anyway unless this came up in search for someone else.