I'm a F***tard...help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thebrain74, Sep 26, 2008.

1. thebrain74 macrumors regular

okay, so I was doing laundry today and I pulled out the pair of shorts that I had been wearing earlier today and I say the iconic white earbuds sticking out of one of the pockets. Not. Good. Attached to said earbuds was my 1st gen 16gig ipod touch. Very. Not. Good.

It was in an incase protective sleeve (the rubber thing) and my earphones were plugged into it.

When I picked it up it didn't leak out water or anything, but there was a little water between the metal back and the inside of the case.

It is currently on a shoe-dryer where it will remain for the next several days.

Is there anything else I can do.

P.S. I assume taking it to apple is worthless because A:the ipod doesn't have applecare, B: isn't there a sticker in there like computers that shows it has gotten wet?

thanks for all your help guys.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iPods have Apple Care for the firs year. Also, there is a dot at the bottom of the headphone jack that changes to red if exposed to water.

You are screwed, but might be able to get home-owners, car, or renters insurance to cover it. Perhaps say that it was near an open window when it started raining.

TEG

3. Sean5150 macrumors newbie

Try putting it in a bowl of rice. the rice will absorb the moisture

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Dry rice, not cooked :p

Also, let it dry out. I've heard numerous stories of iPods going through the wash and being perfectly fine.

5. seamustry macrumors member

I saw somewhere that rubbing alcohol can helpin these situations...

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

He'll probarbly screw it up when he opens it.

7. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

NO, NOT RUBBING ALCOHOL! And whatever you do, don't turn it on.

Get some cat litter and put it in an airtight container, then bury the iPod. Change the litter daily for several days.

Here's a video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCNiSFfm6w

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

[​IMG]
    "And next time be more careful! Kids, what ya going to do with them?" Judge Smails.

9. Aeroplane macrumors member

hygroscopic easy dry

theres this product called easy dry, it's these little white balls (caution, don't touch them as they're toxic!!!!) that essentially suck up all the water in the ambient...you could put a plastic lining and put your ipod in the center and surround it with this product (not letting the product to touch the ipod) and put another plastic cover and leave it for one or two days, it absorbs water like you have no idea...hhaha, i have friends who've let their cellphones drop on water and they're fine after they dry..i also once let my stereo outdoors and after it rained i took it in and it worked after it got dry..but i don't know about such delicate piece of electronics such as the ipod... :(
    anyway good luck, at least i think you'll learn your lesson and we'll check the pockets of our pants before putting anything in the washer machine. I know i've done that myself sometime...with bills and stuff.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Your best bet is drying it out as much as possible and hoping it will work after drying, if not, your **** outta luck.

Once that indicator changes color, your screwed.

Good luck

11. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Whatever you do, I don't recommend the oven or the microwave.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can use Isopropol Alcohol, not Rubbing Alcohol. The former has no water, the latter has water in it. But try the balls that pick up ambient air, or use a heat lamp.

TEG

13. madfresh macrumors regular

If this doesn't work I suggest drinking as much alcohol you can handle!

14. beeh macrumors regular

The problem with the iPod Touch is that it is truly never totally "off". Most cell phones can be completely turned off with a power button, but the Touch is only "sleeping", so the electronics is either always on to tick the clock ( and do whatever else you have set up - mail, etc. ) or it is periodically woken to do these things. And since you cannot remove the battery, there is no way for you to stop it from doing these things, right? So, it will keep trying to wake up and have many more chances to damage the electronics.

That being said, your best chance is to let it dry out for many days, fan, vent, dry rice, whatever ( keep it away from anything with heat though ) and see what happens.

You did have it in a case, with headphones plugged in and in your pants pocket, so it has a good chance of being functional.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out, good luck.

15. Fimo macrumors newbie

Fimo

Don't worry, I've had my 2G iPod Nano go through the wash cycle and and 1G iPod touch drop into "CLEAN" toilet water....ha ha.. talk about clumsy, lol anyways on both occasions they have come back from the dead and work perfectly as of today with no major issues, although initially i had to press really hard on the screen and my audio would be stop randomly, but 6 months later they both work fine.....

Also, I made sure not to turn them on and dried them and put them near a fan or in direct sunlight and it seemed to work for me, YMMV, good luck though!

16. angels lust macrumors member

If you wait till it's completely 100% dry before you try turning it on there is still a good chance it'll work fine. If you already tried turning it on it's toast.

17. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

yes, wait before you turn it on, for at least a few days, otherwise you'll short it.

18. thebrain74 thread starter macrumors regular

The ipod touch is currently in a zip-lock with two desiccant pouches and a little pouch of calcium sulfide,ate(something I'm not sure, friend got it for me from the lab, gotta love being at a Uni)

Weirdly I got an email today from the tech department here and they said there were some DHCP problems with my ipod today. (I washed it yesterday)
    so I guess its probably working or it just ran current through the wifi circuitry and fried the heck out of itself.

19. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Ah, yes, commit insurance fraud! That's a great suggestion! ;)

And Americans wonder why their economy has collapsed...

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes, because fraud only occurs in the US....

21. thebrain74 thread starter macrumors regular

If I were to go the insurance route (like my laptop is ensured), but the deductible cost more than the ipod so nope.

I also don't think we need any discussions about insurance fraud in or out of the U.S.

22. coconut. macrumors newbie

coconut.

haha ditto! cheers! :D

23. djbob macrumors newbie

Contact info.

To: thebrain74
    Could you please contact me via PM. I'd like to discuss a previous thread you had that is now archived.

Thanks

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Why didn't you just send this in a pm yourself? :confused:

25. thebrain74 thread starter macrumors regular

djbob, your profile will not accept pm's or emails so I don't get how I am supposed to contact you?