Im a lil disapointed on the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x2unleashed, Jul 10, 2010.

1. x2unleashed macrumors newbie

x2unleashed

Okay so lastnight i bought a macbook pro 15'' 2.4ghz model and I had did all the updates and fully charged it but when its on battery use i only only see that it only hold 4 hours of battery with the use of safari and itunes with low light and no light up on key board. what can i do to maximize battery performance?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Your not the only one. There are several threads on this. I'm honestly surprised Apple even touts 8-9 hours battery when most Core i Series notebooks barely get past 3 hours on low settings.

4. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I can manage 6 hours on my i7 with continuous moderate browsing on low-light environment via wifi, backlit keyboard on, display a little over half brightness, some spreadsheet work...

iTunes' taking up much resources...?

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I've managed to get about 7.5 hrs on 3 separate occasions. Have you tried doing any of the stuff from the hyperlink given in post #2? Quite a bit of the stuff is also published in the MBP's user manual.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

See link in 2nd post.

Your MBP can probably benefit from a battery calibration.

7. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Bring up Activity monitor and see which programs are hogging up alot of memory sometimes things like flash may be running in the background when your not using it and can be using system resources.

8. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

My roommate (I got to boarding school) has a new 2010 15" and he gets about 6 hours. He runs his screen at half mast, bluetooth off (surprisingly a huge battery drain), Wireless off (when at his desk), and while only running web browsing(facebook/youtube) Microsoft Office.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The information in the link looks interesting especially in terms of the calibration process. I'll try it. I have a new 15" Core i5 and I can't get anything more than 4.5 hours on half brightness with just surfing with no Flash and Mail open. Thanks.

10. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

My MBP i7 gets about 5hours and 30mins with about 40% brightness taking practice MCAT tests on Kaplan. Wifi and bluetooth are off. Activity monitor shows no programs (except necessary ones) are using up my CPU. Needless to say i'm a bit disappointed.

Also, iStat shows 100% battery health and i only have 21 cycles so far.

11. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

(although I don't currently own one I have done a bit of research for when I switch in a few days) Have you tried turning off bluetooth. Also, turning off the Dashboard can help improve battery life (although slim) and can make your comp run faster by saving CPU load and memory usage even when you are not using it.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you calibrated?

13. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

I do once a month or so. 5 hours and 30mins is still great compared to most laptops i've used in the past, so it doesn't kill me. What bothered me is that apple advertises 8+ hours. When i bought this mac, i searched around this forum and heard that apple is accurate with battery life estimates =(.

Oh i should also mention i used gfxcardstatus, so i know my intel graphics card was in use.