I'm a little bit confused about switching to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j.larsen, Aug 28, 2008.

1. j.larsen macrumors newbie

j.larsen

Hi All,

I want to switch to Mac, and I actually wanted to do so for almost a year now. Finally I have the money to buy one :D but as the rumors and the Buyer's Guide says, the MacBook is about to be updated. Probably already 9/9.

But Apple have this offer: Buy a Mac and get a free iPod (http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/). The offer last until 15/9
    And now I start to think:
    Is it common that Apple have an offer that last between a Mac revision? :confused:

//Jonas

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

No, it's the backto school one right? Helps clear out old stock before the update.

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

That's the name of the game ;)

It depends which you want more, a free iPod or (potentially) an updated Mac. Both are nice options.

4. j.larsen thread starter macrumors newbie

j.larsen

Ohh, I had not thought of that. But still, if the rumours are true then you can buy a new Mac with the old offer?

However, it makes no difference to me as I don't live in the USA.

Thanks for the quick answer. I think I still should wait some time before I buy.

//Jonas

5. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

The offer will stop before the update is announced.

It's mainly to clear old stock to make room for the new product line(s) and a good opportunity for students to get a good deal before they return to university.

6. j.larsen thread starter macrumors newbie

j.larsen

So you are saying, that I can be pretty sure that there won't be an update before 15/9?

Well, I do need a new computer for school so maybe I should buy anyway... That's a tough decision

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely and well put. Bertpalmer makes a good point, too, in that the offer is intended to clear out old stock before the new updates/upgrades are issued. Whenever you buy, you'll get a great computer. If you buy now, the educational discount will apply. If you wait until the updates, and buy one of the just discontinued models, you'll also probably be able to avail of a generous discount. Cheers and good luck with whatever you choose.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no way to tell.......seems to me that last year they introduced new ipods while the offer was still in effect but they weren't eligible for the rebate, only the old ipods were. So if there's a new Macbook introduced before the offer expires, it probably wont be eligible (the back to school offer identifies the specific model numbers of the products involved)

9. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

You'll have a week to decide which one you want if it does come out on the 7th.

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I think it was last year with the back to school season: the new iPods came out before the deal was over, so people got the new version. Personally, I'd wait, it's just a couple more weeks and you'd be glad that you waited if it cones out before the end. MacBooks and ipods included.

11. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I agree this is what I am doing

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I don't think that people got the new updated iPods for free last yr if they used the B2S deal. If your read the conditions pertaining to the rebate it clearly has the model numbers that are eligible. The new iPods will have different model numbers than the current ones. They also state they can discontinue the rebate at anytime.

13. j.larsen thread starter macrumors newbie

j.larsen

Thanks for all the answers. I finally took a decision, bought a MacBook and boy - I'm in love with it.

If Apple updates the MacBook this Tuesday, then I can turn this one I have now in, and get the updated one. This is what I call a super service :D
    If Apple updates it later than that, then I'll be happy any ways because I got rid of my old PC :D

14. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Good move Congrats

15. integragsr macrumors member

I agree, I was hoping to get the a new ipod before the back to school promo ends but the conditions states specific models. I asked people here and they also told me I wasn't going to get the new ipods because the new ipods will have a different model muber..