I'm a little confused about "restore" after JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by philip in al, Oct 19, 2010.

1. philip in al macrumors regular

I am running 4.1, used GP to jailbreak and TU to preserve my bb, and I want to restore my apps from my last iTunes backup prior to the JB, because I'm having issues with some of the apps crashing and not remembering my settings.

What is the difference between running "restore as a new phone" and "restore"?

Will one of these (whichever one) help me get my apps and their preferences back, without screwing up my JB and all of my Cydia apps? I'm familiar with pkgbackup.

Thanks

2. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

You will lose your JB no matter which you use.

3. OhioLefty macrumors regular

"Restore as a new Phone" sets up your iPhone as it was "out of the box" with an existing iOS or a new iOS while a "Restore" restores your iPhone's iOS (old or new) while leaving your apps and settings intact but you do LOSE your JailBreak using either method.

I think what you are looking for is a "Restore from Backup" option in iTunes AFTER you JailBreak. With your iPhone connected to iTunes AFTER you JailBreak, right click on your iPhone on the left side of iTunes and click on the "Restore from Backup" option. It should be right below the "Backup" option and it will contain your most recent backup and settings. It will not contain any of your non-Apple apps (Cydia, .debs, etc.) and your Jailbreak will stay intact.

Good luck...

4. declandio macrumors 6502

Are you sure about that? I could be wrong, but I don't think you're correct. Restore from backup will reload a virgin OS and then restore your settings, messages, App-store App's, etc, but will not re-jailbreak or keep the phone jailbroken.

Whichever type of restore is selected, the phone will have to be jailbroken again afterwards.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The op is correct. The options he gave on right clicking on the phone and selecting restore from backup will only restore the data that Itunes backs-up evertime you sync. You are thinking of the restore button under the summary screen and right below the update button.

Why do you think itunes does a backup of data if there was no way to restore it.

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

nebo1ss is correct. I use the 'right click to backup', upgrade, jb, then 'right click Restore' for every jb I've done. It's too bad Apple used the same word, Restore, for both the 'bring back my apps and their data' and 'take my phone back to stock' functions.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Why not keep this in the old thread? There is no need to create a new one...

No.

Wrong. Reloading from a backup doesn't rewrite the OS files.

OP, again. itunes uses a lot of similar terms and it tends to confuse people. When installing the OS you have two options Restore or upgrade. When setting up the OS for use you have two options. Restore from backup or setup as new. Restore from backup is often confused with the OS restore.

Like I said in your last thread, the one you've seemed to abandoned because you refuse to look up the information yourself, that you have a couple of options. Delete them then resync from itunes if you don't feel like installing them all again by hand or restore from the backup. Deleting them isn't necessarily going to cause you to lose your data since a lot of don't store this data with the app itself. but you don't really have a lot of options since they are not opening so you can't use that saved data anyway.

Either way this is basic itunes stuff. Learn what your doing or give up on jailbreaking. You can't rely on people to teach you every basic aspect of owning a iphone.

8. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

Ok and thanks to all. So the end result is that I can't use any method
    To restore just my apps without losing the jailbreak? In the words, I
    Should have done the restore prior to the jailbreak? Thanks again.

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

OMG I give up. You should have restore to 4.1 but you upgraded. That's where this all started. I've given you options and if you don't understand them, then good luck with what you do. You shouldn't expect people to hand hold you through basic processes.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

If you right click on your iPhone in iTunes and select Restore you will not lose your jb. I don't know how much plainer I can make it.

11. OhioLefty macrumors regular

:eek: Read my reply to your post again, SLOWLY...

I'm guessing I'm missing something from another post that TMar is referring to, but even if you upgraded your iOS I would think iTunes would have still made a backup before starting.

12. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

What you missed is that his original question in this thread is asking how to do something I told him he needed to do in his last thread from just this morning. He didn't try to find the answer himself, instead he just created a new thread on how to do a simple backup restore. Apparently he refuses to do any research and want every simple thing handed to him

13. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

Guys, that's so untrue. I do search and try to find an answer, read these forums every day and try to bookmark issues that I think I may have in the future. I never ask a question that I haven't searched for. Maybe I missed the answer to this one or just didn't understand the answers I found.

14. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You know we can see your past post correct? You have 63 post and 14 threads created by you, most of which have been asked and easily answered with a search. Of your 63 post most are questions with many being about basic stuff. Now asking questions isn't necessarily a bad thing by any means but you can see where you either have ALOT of questions where you answer most by way of search or your searching skills are lacking and you don't find most your answers there.

The thing is you were given an answer to a question in the other thread of yours at @7:30 this morning. You then proceeded to create (@ 10:10) this thread asking questions about the answer you were given from the last thread.