I'm a little confused about this AT&T upgrade thing.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozzyman500, May 30, 2010.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I just purchased a 3GS in October and used another person's line for the upgrade. I just checked AT&T's website today and they said when I clicked on the iPhone page that it's at the subsided price for $199/$299. Does this mean they whipped my 2 year contract and let me upgrade when the new phone comes out? I'm a little confused here. Someone mind helping?

2. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Actually you answered your own question. You used someone elses upgrade, so they signed a new contract, not you. Your contract should have been left untouched.

Check the other lines upgrade eligibility. You should find theirs isn't upgrade eligible.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you used someone else's upgrade, then that won't affect your line's eligibility or extend your contract. It extends their contract and resets their eligibility. Presumably you've not upgraded your line in the past 12/18 months (depending on your monthly bill) and are now eligible for a full subsidy.

4. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well what I did was that I switched the upgrade eligibility to my line. I guess I'm able to upgrade my number since it said $199/$299. So I'm free to upgrade when the new phone comes out if I used someone elses?

I haven't upgraded my actual line since October 2008. But in October 2009 I used someone else's upgrade for my line...sorry if I sound confusing.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You sound confusing because you are confused. You didn't switch the upgrade eligibility to your line. The person whose upgrade you used upgraded his phone and extended his contract to two years. The transaction had nothing to do with your line. Its as though you bought the phone from your friend outright -- and at cost (a really good deal...even if your friend didn't want to upgrade, he could've taken the upgrade himself and sold it for nearly $400 profit). That you then put your SIM card in the phone is irrelevant.