I'm a Mac n00b

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bob Loblaw, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

After recently selling my iPod Touch to get ready for the new iPhone, I am completely without any Apple products. I'll be buying an iMac (my first ever Apple computer) as soon as I get a job. Needless to say, I'm going crazy here. I'm not sure if reading up about everything Apple is helping or hurting!

Any advice on satiating my craving for the iMac or general advice for a person who is completely unfamiliar with Apple computers?:)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go to the apple store and start playing.

Go to the library and start looking at Pogue's Missing Manual for Leopard.

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You could go to Best Buy or an Apple Store a couple times a week and use the ones there just to get used to them. They always have a lot on display at Best Buy.

EDIT: Beat me to it. haha.

4. Bob Loblaw thread starter macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

Yeah, the closest Apple store is two hours away. But good call on the Best Buy. I usually spend a minute or two on them every time I go in there, but their sales people won't leave me alone and I feel kind of awkward spending too much time on one. Screw it I guess!

I'm going to Best Buy soon to pick up a DVD that's on sale (and it's tax-free weekend here in Virginia), so I'll play on the gorgeous 24" iMac. At first I was going to sell my Dell laptop and get a MacBook, but after seeing those iMacs, I'm keeping the Dell and adding one of those babies.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Or you could get a macbook and an external monitor to up your desktop real estate....

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

My best advice would be hurry up and get that job ;)

7. Bob Loblaw thread starter macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

haha... that's the best advice yet! My problem right now is that I graduated college two weeks ago and I can't even get a minimum wage job right now! It's ridiculous!

And right now, I have just enough cash for my iPhone and this months bills.

8. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Great book, fun and learnful to read. I purchased it to get the most out of my Mac experience. But I think it's better to read and test it out directly. Otherwise, you will forget some of the hints. But then again it's great to look up something.

9. Bob Loblaw thread starter macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

I just looked at my library's webpage and they don't have that book. I'll stop in Barnes and Noble when I go to Best Buy and flip through it a bit.

10. stolen laptop macrumors newbie

save $$

if you're in virginia think about a road trip to deleware. No sales tax.