I'm a moron?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dawnzig, Aug 27, 2009.

1. dawnzig macrumors newbie

I'm not new to Mac - I had a Performa to start and I retired a G4 two years ago. I currently own an iMac, and Macbook and I just bought a MBP.

My problem: I have this wonderful workhorse HP printer that's been in the basement for 2 years. I HATE the new HP printers I got with my two other Macs cause the ink carts. are so small. So I download the printer driver for this old 810c, only to discover that "Classic isn't supported" when I open the disc on the MBP. I've been looking online, and I think I'm screwed.

Can it be that I really can't use this great printer?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sometimes a generic HP driver will work. It might take some experimenting.

3. Rich1803 macrumors newbie

FOLLOW the suggestions of R.J.S. He has been right on with any directions he has given me.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

You downloaded the driver for OS8/9 instead of X. The link r.j.s. posted is the one for OSX, but note further that it looks like later versions of 10.4 (which you presumably already have if you've got an MBP) already have the driver built in, and I would assume 10.5 does as well. If you specifically didn't install all the print drivers when installing/reinstalling the OS, then you'll need to pop in the OS disc and select the HP printers package, but it's likely just hooking the printer up will work since the drivers are already there.