I'm a student dev, should I buy Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by angemon89, Jul 11, 2009.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

How long after the release of a new OS does Apple takes to deliver the OS to developers? Because I was wondering if I should just purchase SL using the "up to date" promotion, or just wait for my free copy to arrive.

If they arrive at relatively the same time why spend money when I don't have to.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Don't developers already have a seed? I'm imagining they'll send you the final product a few weeks before it's released to the public, just so they can make sure everything is fine for the Mac world.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Student Developers do not have access to Snow Leopard (or any software) beta seeds.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean, it depends how imperative you think the update is? I guess more specifically it depends on the software.

5. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

macintoshtoffy

How far are you through your degree? I ask this because if you're at the end you might want to gradually focus on Snow Leopard as developers gradually move and make it exclusively their development platform. If you're at the beginning of your degree then you might as well learn Snow Leopard and all its features from day one so that in 3 years time (assuming you're doing a typical degree lasting 3 years) you'll be well versed in all the features of Mac OS X such as Grand Central and so forth. I know that I'm going to be focusing on Snow Leopard as my platform of choice over the next couple of years given that the focus will gradually move to that as the basis for future developments.

6. glasserp macrumors regular

haha what degrees can you get in 3 years? sorry to hijack...

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You can always take classes over the summer and there are associates degrees.

8. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

9. ethical macrumors 68000

In the UK the standard degree at university takes 3 years..... then there are medical and dental degrees that take 5 years, and some courses that include a year in industry take 4.... but the most common in a 3 year degree.

/hijack

10. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

macintoshtoffy

You're correct; New Zealand, unlike America, we don't have funky names for our schools; its primary, intermediate, college then you choose to either leave college and go to polytechnic or stay until 7th Form/Year 13 and go to university.

For me, I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts which is a three year degree; my brother did an engineering degree which takes which is shorter than degree courses overseas because Canterbury University tend to pile on the work load requiring 50-60 hour study (study + Lectures + tutorials) per week.

11. glasserp macrumors regular

Okay I see all of your points. I was just curious. In the US four a bachelors the standard is usually 4 years, but you are taking a pretty heavy load of course all the time and quite a few summer courses. Point: I feel it's becoming more common to be there for .5-1 more years. That's all.