I'm a total Newbie to Macs, I have some questions, Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PammyLZ, Dec 23, 2007.

1. PammyLZ macrumors newbie

Hello:

I just acquired a Power Mac G4 PowerPC yesterday. It has OS 9.2.2 on it. I'm fairly proficient with computers, so I was able at least reinstall the OS, and upgrade it up to 9.2.2 again. But, I really don't like the Classic OS. I was eyeing Tiger for this machine, but I'm such a newbie to macs that I don't know if my G4 can handle Tiger...

I've tried searching on the forums here and on the web, but I'm probably using the wrong search terms as I didn't find the answers I was looking for. So, thanks for your patience and help..

The specs of my G4 are as follows:

450mhz CPU
    128 Rage Pro AGP
    30GB HD
    768 RAM
    DVD-Rom

Also, I have a widescreen 20" LCD monitor, and the resolution is all blurry, especially on text. I can't select anything higher than 1280 x 1024.... Is there something I can do until I can get a more compatible monitor?

Thanks!!

-Pamela

2. jroad macrumors member

Hi,

Congrats on your first Mac. Based on the minimum specs for Tiger: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301341, your G4 should handle it. I do not have real world experience with that setup, so I can't give an idea on performance.

I have no further info about the monitor issue you have. Perhaps you can post some model info and someone else can help out.

3. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Frist of all I would like to say welcome to MacRumors Forums!You can intall Tiger on your Power Mac but not Leopard and why not get a Cinema Display?

4. PammyLZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! Thanks! There was a Cinema Display with this Mac, but it was sold way before I was offered the computer. I can't really afford to get a new monitor for this Mac. I might be getting an old CRT for free that will work. But, for now it's sharing my 20" Benq FP202W Monitor with my Windows Machine.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The display is blurry because the graphics card is really bad compared to the other specs and can't support the higher native resolution of your 20" monitor.

It should be able to run Tiger perfectly decently though.

EDIT: You might be better off with a CRT as LCD's are bad if the resolution isn't native, but this isn't an issue with a CRT.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

Welcome! Although I have no direct experience with that model, I can tell you that Panther (10.3.x) will give you better performance than Tiger (10.4.x) on that machine (or any machine for that matter), but either one should install and run well. Also, unless you want to upgrade the video card, I would suggest a CRT monitor, because the video card is not capable of LCD native resolutions.

7. PammyLZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know... I figured the card was old. I didn't even think to look at Panther.. I will check it out. Thanks!!

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

If you do install Tiger instead of Panther (although they are right, that operating system should work better for that model for sure) I would TURN OFF dashboard.

even on my 867 Tibook I had before my current set up, whenever I would accidently click on the dashboard icon, all hell would break loose, aka beach ball galore, fan happyness... just not good. So I would suggest turning that off, otherwise it should run fine.

Congrats on your mac! :)

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Tiger runs more software though, a lot of software requires Tiger to run as it added lots of new features. Also most Mac users use it (or Leopard) and developers are lazy.

10. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you mAxDaRam to 2GB AND get a bit better video card, Tiger will run just fine on that machine.....been there, done that, firsthand :p

Granted it wont be like running a DP2.7/G5, but still no problem for the average everyday stuff

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I agree on upgrading to Tiger, simply because too many programs require 10.4 or later. However, I would caution against spending exorbitant amounts of money restoring an obsolete machine. As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't spend more than $200 on repairs for a computer more than a few years old. $500 would get you a fully-functional Windows laptop capable of doing everything modern computers do, while a refurbished Macbook could be had for $900, if you wished to have the latest Apple stuff.

12. PammyLZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. I wanted the Mac to, well, have a Mac. The last Mac I ever really did anything on was in school...before they had a GUI. I really don't mind it being slow. And I don't think I'll have even $100 to spend on any computer, any time soon. So, I just want to learn about Mac's and hopefully have some fun on it.... as soon as I can snag myself a copy of Tiger on eBay. :)

13. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    Hey,

Good luck with your new mac!!! Hope it works!!!

IMcD23