I'm a web dev, I want to become a designer..

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cmm, May 4, 2010.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Hi all...

I want to become a designer, that is, learn and implement HTML and CSS. Can you recommend some tutorials/readmes/sites for me to take a look at? I've been told to stay far away from w3schools.

Finally, do you think it's possible to become proficient in HTML and CSS over a summer?

Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The W3 Schools is a good place to start and learn the basics. It's a quality site. It won't be as helpful with intermediate and advanced techniques though. You should hit up the stickies in this forum for a number of resources people have recommended. If you have the time to put into it, becoming proficient in CSS can be done over a Summer. There's always new stuff to learn in CSS though. It's very simple, yet somehow very powerful, even without variables.

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

4. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I took a look through and it was good, although it focused on what text editor to write code with (vi, duh :)). Do you have any specific CSS and HTML tutorials online you can recommend? I already bought CSS: The Missing Manuel by O'Reilly Press.

Thanks!

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

First, I'd stop thinking like a developer. Design isn't knowing CSS, html, javascript - hell 4/5 of my graduating class wouldn't have been able to design outside Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG.

Design is knowing what elements will work together. It is studying trends and guessing what will be the 'next fad' or work to make the design 'timeless'.

My suggestions would be to study typography and just brush up on graphic design history.

You have a leg up with your dev knowledge so I wouldn't worry so much about focusing on html/css.

I'd keep this in mind, a person who paints walls in a house knows how to paint and hold a paintbrush - but I wouldn't pay him to create a Rembrant.