I'm a web developer looking to make the PC to Apple switch. I have some Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daninspired, Oct 11, 2009.

1. daninspired macrumors newbie

I'm currently running PC's for my web development and design work and as my work becomes more detailed i've found my PC's are not able to handle large photoshop and illustrator files, as well as having all of my development programs open and running at one time.

I'm looking to get the high end 17" macbook Pro.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9375151&type=product&id=1218093607601

I have a line of credit at Best Buy that would allow me to purchase an Apple laptop.

But this is the only 17" model they carry

1. This is the standard 17" set up. Will it handle large photoshop documents? 500dpi 24"x36" canvases? Large flash animation projects? Any help from any of you that use macbooks to do this kind of work would be appreciated.

2.I can't order it from bestbuy with an antiglare screen. I want the anti glare screen because i was told the colors are a lot better, and its easier on the eyes then the normal screen. I will also be staring at the screen for hours at a time, and I've heard the anti glare screen is worth it. is it worth trying to hold out for the anti glare screen? Thoughts?

3. Durability is an issue. I'm a complete cluts. I've dropped my HP laptop out of my satchel, I've accidentaly kicked it a few times, and there was one time it got pulled off the back of a desk at school. How durable are these unibody frames? from your personal experience, not what they claim in the brochure.

4. Apple care vs. best buys plan. from what i've read about Apple care it only covers defects. Best buy covers "Anything" that happens to it within the 3 years and the warranty is extended able. so its like apple care on steroids. Which one?

5.Solid State vs. SATA. I hear that if hte SS drive fails there is no data recovery? is that true? Also i hear the SS drive is a lot faster then SATA that start up shut down, sleep/wake and file access is noticeably faster. thoughts?

6. Is there a question i haven't thought of? I'm going to be using this machine for everything i do with the Adobe Suite to create websites and finish my BS and Masters dregree programs over the next three years. Will a 17" do what i 'm looking it to do? Should i go for the 15" for a few hundred less? any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks for your time

Dan.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I like both screens, but there are those that swear by the anti-glare. I personally opted for just the regular one, there is glare outside, but it's ot as if 99% of the other computers are any better.

They are better then they used to be. I'd put it in a hard shell at a minimum. I would not say that they are Panasonic Toughbooks.

Try these threads.

3. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

First of, if your current PC doesn't handle your work anymore, it's not Window's fault, your PC is just to old. Get a new one and all should be fine. :)

If you want to get a Mac for web design/development, that's cool - I'm doing the same. Mac for web design/development and Windows for the rest.

1. The MBP should be able to work those files fine. My MB works pretty well with Flash CS4 and all other CS4 from the Design Suite. But I never used that huge PS files - my MB might sweat a little with those but the MBP should be able to take good care of those.
    Just one thing, you have a external monitor right? Even 17" wouldn't be enough for me. I have a 22" and that seems nice (wish I had 24").

2. That depends on the person. I am using 24" iMacs in school and don't have any problem with them.

3. I don't have an unibody,...

4. I have AppleCare - no experience with BB's one, so can't say anything.

5. SSDs are much faster then HDDs. Define failing.

6. Do you want to carry your MBP to school/work every day? Depending on person, 17" might be a little "big". :D

4. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

2. I prefer the glossy

3. Pretty durable, can be dented though

4. If you drop stuff, get one with accidental damage coverage (unless your home insurance covers it already)

5. Solid state is the way to go :)

6. I guess the bigger screen would be good for u...

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

My friend got best buy care, and he said it was awesome. Totally replacing it if literally anything happened to it. Just about the only thing good from Best Buy, but I'm probably going to get my next Mac(or tablet) there because of that.

6. daninspired thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick response. Lots of good info. I'm drooling over the 17" anti glare, i wants it so bad!

$2,800 bucks to go

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

For the heavy lifting, you really should get a Mac Pro tower. But the 17 MBP should be pretty capable, just don't expect miracles. It's a computer, after all, and you can bog it down just like anything else if you really try. Just be realistic, and you should be happy.

8. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

not sure why people are moving to mac for web development purposes. macs USED to be the defacto choice for this, but ever since the move to intel, performance between either platform is the exact same on equivalent hardware (except on a pc, you can get MUCH better hardware than any pre-built mac and for much cheaper).

i also bought a unibody macbook for web development/design, thinking it would speed up my workflow. in all honesty i now basically use it for general web surfing/video watching purposes while my pc is still my serious work horse. the inconsistencies and terrible UI choices in mac osx are just awful to work with imo. the fact that you can't even cut and paste in finder is just unbelievable.

ps i would definitely get antiglare of some form. the glare on my glass screen is ridiculous!!!

i would also say the unibody frame is purely for style rather than any form of durability. don't expect your macbook to survive a drop.

avoid any best buy/futureshop extended warranty plans. complete rip off.

also to be honest i'd just get the smaller screen and buy a separate, high quality lcd monitor.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, the 17" is more then enough screen real estate. I use a 15" MBP with PS (occasional user) and found it adequate how much more will the 17" with the larger screen and higher screen resolution handle PS.

The Glossy screens technically have better colors because there's less "filters" in the display panel redirecting the light (to minimize reflection) so less redirection = purer colors. Anyways glossy is a personal preference. Once you calibrate the display it really won't matter which one you pick. I have the glossy and use my MBP for photography and I'm very happy with it.

From dropping? Not very. IT will get dented and possible damaged. .

Read the fine print on the BB warranty, you don't want to get stuck with something you don't want and find you're not covered. I prefer applecare but then I don't buy my computers from bestbuy anyways.

AFAIK, there are no services that are able to recover data off of a failed SSD drive. I'm not saying its impossible, all I'm saying is I don't know if there are services out there like there are for HDs. All you're getting with SSD is speed (and lack of mechanical component). Its much more expensive and you'll be getting a much smaller drive then a hard drive. If you're working with PS then you may need to consider secondary storage (mobile hard drive) to store your PS files if you go with the SSD route.

That question can only be answered by you. The 17" is a larger heavier unit that some find unwieldly to lug around. On the other hand if you're using PS and it will be your one and only unit, then the 17" seems to make more sense.

If you have an apple store (or the BB has them) compare the 15" to the 17" see how they handle, weigh and if the form factor is what you're looking for.

10. rodo macrumors newbie

of course it will. but you better fit 8Gb for such large projects!

Anti-glare screens are much better for professional work for two reasons
    1-colors are more accurate. Glaring screens distort colors. It really doesn't matter much UNLESS you are a graphic professional - that you happen to be
    2-well.... no reflections... depends on your workplace an your personal beauty, but if you work in a sunny place be prepared to see your face over and over again :D

depends on which SSD (===on your budget) There are SSD's out there that are real trash, both in speed and reliability, just like with hard drives. Besides, don't rely too much on data recovery. Just make backups. When an HD fails is a question of luck what will you be able to rescue. And according to Murphy's law, you will rescue everything you dont need, and lose everything you may need :D

well i think if you are into graphic design, 17" is better for you. besides, it has a ExperssCard slot you can use for FAST eSATA hard disk and other fancies. 15" models have a lame SD card reader instead.

11. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I don't recommend any warranty. In the first year you're covered anyways and after that if you have a major hardware failure, it might only happen a few years later in which case you'd want a new machine anyways.

Neither of the 2 warranties cover "everything". For example, neither one covers accidental damage or water damage.

However, the best buy warranty is a scam, and the Apple one is not. Under no circumstances would I ever recommend anyone to buy the best buy warranty! Go do a google search and you'll read tons of horrible things about it...in general people are satisfied with Apple Care.