I'm able to send heartbeat to contacts without Apple Watch.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ashton18, Apr 26, 2015.

1. ashton18 macrumors regular

ashton18

I have my father added in the friends list and I know for a fact he doesn't have an Apple Watch but I still see the option to send him my heartbeat or a digital touch.

Whenever I send him a digital touch/heartbeat, a few seconds later I receive it on my watch.

We don't use the same Apple ID. Not for iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime. Nothing.

He doesn't have an Apple Watch. Even if he did, it still doesn't explain why I'm receiving everything I'm sending.

I also checked in the contacts app on my iPhone and my iMessage/FaceTime/iCloud address isn't added under his contact name.

I don't understand why this is happening; it's probably a software bug, but still, no other contacts in my friend list have this problem.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. monaarts macrumors 65816

This might sound silly but do you guys have the same name?

3. ashsong macrumors newbie

ashsong

This made my day.:D

4. ashton18 thread starter macrumors regular

ashton18

Haha, no we do not.

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Check your Contact card for the both of you. You may be sharing some information (home phone? address?) that causes your father to be recognised as “you”.

6. ashton18 thread starter macrumors regular

ashton18

I double checked and we don't share any information.. Bizarre!

7. Simonrb macrumors member

Any luck finding out the problem? I think digital touch uses iCloud ID as my wife and I share one and I had the same problem as you.. Shame as we like our camera roll synced and share iCloud storage.

Be nice if digital touch used your email address or/and phone number like iMessage.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I have not used it yet, but I hope this is not another mess like iMessage was, and that took years to resolve. Wonder what apple is using as the unique identifier for touch

9. Simonrb macrumors member

I'm 99% sure it's your iCloud ID.

10. monaarts macrumors 65816

It wasn't meant to be a smart @ss comment... My dad and I have the same name and when I had his name and my name both stored with the first name "Joe" my iPhone would keep switching back to his every time I synced it with iTunes. I had to change his name to "Joseph" to get this to stop.

11. rkb37 macrumors newbie

This same thing happened to me with my wife. She didn't have her apple watch yet, but it allowed me to send digital touches to her. They came to me, really. Now she does have her apple watch now and when I send her DT messages I get them too. She doesn't use my apple ID, but we do use the same account for iTunes. I ended up blocking myself when I received the messages I sent to her and that seems to help. I still can send her DT and I still receive hers.

12. jfischetti macrumors newbie

Are you both connected through iCloud Family Sharing?

I've narrowed it down to that connection as to why the digital touch option shows up for my wife and daughter in my friends menu on the watch when they don't have watches, and why i receive my own DT messages when i send messages to my son's watch.

i think DT messages are incorrectly going to all parties connected to iCloud Family Sharing.

13. die444die macrumors member

My husband and I use iCloud family sharing, but he does not show up on mine, as available to receive DT messages, so that must not be the only criteria - maybe iCloud family sharing *and* something specific in the contact that I don't have?