I'm about to buy a MBA.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by orzogen, Jul 31, 2011.

1. orzogen macrumors newbie

I'm about to purchase a macbook Air. I'm seriously considering getting the base 11 inch model. I like how small the 11 is and I actually prefer the aspect ratio to that of the 13. I really only need to browse the web and write, and cost is the biggest factor, so the MBA 11 seemed like a good fit. However, this is going to be my only computer for 5+ years, so the small hard drive might become a problem. I do not have a meaningful amount of music (I download podcasts to my iPhone), but I do watch quite a bit of TV on it. However, since I decided to no longer use iTunes (because it is terrible), most of this will be done using streaming from Amazon. Do you think I should invest in a larger hard drive, or would 64 be enough for those things?

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I picked up the 128gb 11" and I think that would be a wise choice, especially if you are wanting to keep it for that long as your primary computer.

The 11" is my primary computer and it's great, I'm also planning to get a thunderbolt display as I also really like using a big screen at times.

If you can spring it, always up the storage. If you can't go to 256gb at least go to 128gb - the jump from 64gb to 128gb will give you a lot more breathing room. After iTunes, Lion and apps, a lot of that 64gb will be gone.

Not to mention the increase in ram to 4gb, which is so important if you plan to use the Air for that long. 2gb is already pretty much obsolete, 4gb should be minimum for any computer today.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

2 gb is a mistake IMO. 64 is probably a mistake. Scratch up $200 more if possible.

4. aleni macrumors 68020

the least you should get is 11" with 4GB of ram and 128GB SSD because you can't upgrade the ram later. and the resell value of the 4GB and 128GB SSD model is probably higher.

5. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

Get the base 13"

if it is going to be your only computer for a while why not get something a little bigger that you will have a more enjoyable time looking at? plus it comes with more ram and a bigger hard drive and a bit faster processor so you won't have to worry about the future that much.

6. orzogen thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I'm thinking about it, the 128 Air looks nice. The boosted ram is a plus also.

7. Kilgore-Trout macrumors newbie

11" quickly gets too small, especially when you're surfing the web and writing -- you'll be doing a lot of scrolling. If this is to be your only computer for years, I'd get the 13". Once you add the 2GBs of extra RAM that you'll certainly need, and the more storage, you'll end up with the same price as a 13".

8. misterneums macrumors 6502

@ the OP

If your'e looking at getting a MBA for your only/main computer--I'd highly suggest getting the 13" if you can afford it. Regardless, you'll definitely want to get the higher up version on the 11". I don't have much stuff installed on my new 13" MBA--desktop manager says that I'm using 1.5 GB of RAM. So you can figure, with a fresh install of Lion, you'll be using at least 1.25 GB, more than likely ~1.5-2 GB at all times. Get the 4 GB of ram and the 128 GB SSD.

I know you were originally intending upon get a 999 model, but for 1199 you'll get the better 11" model through Apple. If you have a Best Buy around, they have been running a sale on the new MBA's. ~1139 for the 11/4gb/128gb.

But, honestly, if you can swing it, or maybe get a Best Buy credit card... I'd highly suggest the 13."

I was like you when I started, but for me, I realized while the 11" might be super ultraportable--the 13" just has more benefits to go with it: Larger screen, higher resolution screen (more workspace), larger capacity battery/longer life, SD card reader, and a better processor (100 mhz faster normally, but it turbo boosts ~300-400 mhz more.)

Edit/PS the 13" 1.7/4/128 costs 1239 right now at Best Buy--it's pretty much the best deal out there right now.

Just my two cents!

9. i0Nic macrumors 65816

If you like the 11", get the 11".

The base 13" may make more sense on an economical basis, but the 11" can certainly be your main computer. If you like the form factor, go for it.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

The 11" can certainly be a "main" computer. However, I'd recommend going with the 4GB RAM and 128GB storage if you intend to keep it for a while. Most new notebooks of any kind ship with 4GB and 2GB is pretty limited these days. Unfortunately, the RAM isn't upgradable later, so get 4GB now.

11. scarred macrumors 6502a

Base 13 inch is a far wiser choice for an "only computer".

The 11 is great for travels. It is great for a secondary computer. It is a slick computer, but I would never recommend it as the only computer (unless you get the ultimate and pair with an external monitor, but now your $ investment is much higher).

In fact, if you went to the Apple Store with those requirements, I'm positive they would steer you away from the 11, especially the base model. 2gb and 64 gigs is no where near enough for you.

For an "only computer", you may also want to consider the Pro line. Those have a bit more longevity built into them (upgradable ram, Hdd, and replaceable battery).

12. Mhotep macrumors member

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Definitely go with the 4GB model since you can not upgrade RAM later on.

14. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I just bought a base 11" and it should be delivered today. I already have a 27" iMac though so it is not my primary computer. It is sufficient for my needs and I only plan on keeping it for about a year so I guess I'll keep it. You guys are making me want to return it though! To the OP, if you have the money, I think it is worth upgrading to the 128/4GB model.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

If you are only going to keep it a year, you are OK with the base, as it will retain more of its value than the $1100 model with 4GB/64GB SSD or the $1200 model with 4GB/128GB SSD. I'm guessing you'll get about $600-650 for it next year (assuming they drop the price of the refurb 2011 to $750 like they did with the 2010s last week), while the more expensive models would probably get an extra $50 or so for each $100 of initial outlay.

Do you upgrade every year, or is there a particular feature of Ivy Bridge (e.g. USB 3.0 or the promise of better graphics and lower power usage) that you are looking for in 2012?

16. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

No, I don't usually upgrade every year. I recently sold my 2009 white MacBook unibody to buy this machine. I got $700 for it (bought it for $770 a year ago) and didn't want to put that much more towards a new MacBook air so I chose the base model considering I already have an iPad and an iMac.

The reason why I will most likely be upgrading both my iMac and my MacBook air is because I am going into college and will probably need more ram and more storage space.

My white MacBook was running perfectly with Lion installed and it only had 2GB of ram and 250GB Harddrive so I expect the MacBook air will be sufficient in a year as well but I still might upgrade depending on what next years model offers.

17. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

I've the base and its great, the ram while only 2gb is fine especially if you dont plan on keeping it for more than 2 years tops. I have a Mac mini with storage so had no need for anymore than 64gb. Trust me the base model is grand, I have had more than 10 apps open at once with no slowdown !

18. cityathrt macrumors regular

Goodness, if the poor soul says he wants an 11"... don't hassle the guy for a 13". ;) I was going to purchase a 13 inch, and walked out of the store with an 11 inch, for what my opinion's worth.

Definitely get the 4GB ram anad 128 GB SSD. You'd have to monitor your storage v-e-r-y carefully with the 64 GB, and the 4GB ram is pretty much the minimum anyone would recommend one get these days.

19. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I just got the 11" 4GB 128GB. Like the others are saying in this thread, the 4GB vs. 2GB is major and the 128GB SSD should be better for you in the long run. It's amazing how fast this computer is, especially the SSD.

The backlit keyboard is great. Sure the 11" screen is on the small side but I find I'm taking it everywhere (because it's so small, light and portable). For me the days of "I don't think I want to lug along my laptop" are gone.

20. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would get the high-end 11'' as is. The low-end is a goof with 2 GB RAM at $999.