I'm about to click order...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ghsNick, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I have the base price MBP 15 inch laptop with AppleCare and B2S promotion in my cart and it's $2066. I'm about to hit submit...but have my final questions.

1) I'll get Lion for free DL when it comes out?

2) Is it better to wait for Lion pre-installed on it (in July)? The reason I ask is b/c I just want to make sure having SL installed on it and DL'ing Lion won't take up more Hard Drive space then just having Lion pre-installed in July.

3) Is their shipping safe (packaging) and do they require signature when delivering?

4) If I buy Apps (while using SL) will they work on Lion?

5) Or should I just buy this in store? (I want the newest manufactured date lol)

Any advice would be awesome...because I'm salivating at this submit order button.

Edit - And one more thing...where can I find this "wristguard" thing that this guy has in this video?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

1) Yes.
    2) It's up to you. It seems silly to wait in my opinion. It will probably take up a little more HD space, but I imagine it will be very little difference. Besides, how would anyone here know, since the final version of Lion hasn't been released :)
    3) Packaging is fine. Stop worrying. I don't know if they will require a signature. Read their site :)
    4) They should. But, I doubt anyone here can guarantee that is true for every app :)

By the way, before you hit order, check out Amazon pricing. You might find you can get it cheaper there, even after factoring in educational discount and 100 dollar b2s.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

You'll get Lion for free, there's no difference if you order now and update to Lion later, shipping depends on which carrier Apple uses in your area but should be fine, the apps you buy now should work on Lion.

4. ahdickter macrumors 6502

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can get a free upgrade to Lion, just make sure you apply for it.

2. It truly depends. When you download Lion from the Mac App Store, it will just replace the Snow Leopard installation and you won't loose too much space.

3. Their packaging is safe (not too many complaints), and they do require signature delivery. Which is good, you don't want your $2066 MBP to get taken from your doorstep.

4. Buying Apps now or later won't make much of a difference in terms of compatibility. Most apps should work just fine. If not they will be updated.

Just click submit and enjoy! :D

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Yeah definitely triple-check pricing. I got my 13" (that's what she said) from Apple but they matched a great $999 MicroCenter price from the website.

Either way, buy it. Steve loves you.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

if you can wait for lion, i.e. you don't need a mbp right now, you might as well wait considering it's coming next month. this way you could just get a mbp with lion on it instead of having to have an apple id to get it.

up to you though, i mean if you want it now then obviously go for it now. no harm in having sl on it at first and then upgrading, you'll get lion either way for no additional cost.

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I could get the same deal on Amazon for $1966 ($100 less) but I'd rather get everything through Apple and the $100 App Card will make up the difference.

Plus Amazon has shady shipping (I've had problems with them before).

8. palpatine, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011

palpatine macrumors 68040

LOL. Thanks Michael Scott :)

If I were you, this is what I would do:
    1) order from Amazon. it might be a better deal. $1,709.97.
    2) sign up to become a Prime member (better shipping). it is free for you.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info
    3) sign up for the credit card. that is 30 dollars off.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html
    4) don't get applecare. there is absolutely no benefit to purchasing it now. put that money into a cd for the next three months (duration you get free phone support) and make some money. purchase it anytime during your first year.

You ought to save a bunch of money this way.

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I don't NEED it now...but I just wanted to make sure it won't take up much more HD space.

And when I say that I mean...2 OS's on a computer (SL and Lion) technically would take up more space than one OS (Lion). But from reading the reply's it overwrites SL. And I have no idea when in July lol. If there was a date I might be able to wait...but not knowing is killing me.

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

fair enough then just get it now and you'll have to download it later off of the app store. not a big deal, your concerns aren't much to worry about.

11. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

If I ordered it through Amazon and wanted to get AppleCare from the store. Would they allow me to use it since I ordered it off of Amazon and not through Apple. If I do what your saying I'd get it for $1679.97.

I wouldn't get the $100 App Card but who cares.

Would I have to file for the $0 tax at the end of the year from Amazon? I live in Florida.

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

applecare can be purchased anytime / anywhere during your first year. it doesn't matter where you purchase it or your computer. you are obligated to file, but how many people do? you are also obligated to drive the speed limit...

13. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Dang-it!
    Ok, so I would have got $40 off. And every $1 spent on Amazon gives you 3 points. Every 5000 points is a $50 credit. I would have earned 5007 points and got another $50 back.

So it would have come out to $1669.97...But a $50 credit means $1619.97.

I submit my application for the credit card and they said "unfortunately they're going to have to get back to me within 30 days."

So I can't buy it from them...I have to wait to get this MBP now...because I'd be pissed if I bout it on Apple.com and got approved and had a credit card I didn't get to use and don't really want. :mad:

14. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Consider Squaretrade - it's about the same price and includes 3 years of total coverage, including an accidental warranty to protect against spills, drops, etc. I think you have to buy it within 3 months of purchasing the laptop.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

too bad. but, you gave it a try, and now you know!
    it's always good to use a discover card or some kind of card that gives points. points add up quickly if you pay everything with it. i think discover is something like 3% back.

anyhow, you seem to be far more patient than me! i would have driven down to the store and bought it by now :)

16. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I want this thing bad. But now knowing I could (or could not) be approved I feel like I have to wait for an answer. I'm screwed either way.

If I buy it tomorrow and get approved in 2 weeks I have a credit card I don't want and spent way more money than I had to.

If I wait and get approved I wasted 2 weeks waiting.

If I wait and don't get approved I wasted 2 weeks waiting.

The only way I'm good is if I buy it tomorrow and get denied for the card. That would be my best case scenario. But man I'm pissed.

17. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I know it's hard, but just wait the two weeks and save a bunch of money. Patience is a virtue :D

18. ghsNick, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

1) I don't know if I'll be approved. (I have a good amount of money in my Checking Account but have never had a Credit Card)
    2) Will I still be able to get Lion for free if I ordered it through Amazon and not Apple?
    3) I may get approved...but I can't see it for being more than $1000

19. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

1) If you've never had a credit card, then it's good that you're getting one.
    2) Yes.
    3)You never know. In college, I had two cards that had $500 each. Soon after I applied for another card and was approved for $6k.

20. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Well I can't wait anymore lol.
    If I get the card I'll start building credit which will be a plus.
    But I highly doubt I couldn't use it to get the MBP so no use in waiting to get that.

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

how are you buying through apple? with a card? on a two thousand dollar item, i wouldn't want to waste those potential points. maybe your parents can use theirs and at least someone is getting cash back.

22. xdbuix macrumors 6502

RIght now I would wait a bit just in case Amazon does decide to match Apple's back to school promotion in some way. But I would buy from Amazon. IMO its a better deal and cheaper.

If youre going to buy applecare buy it at bhvideo. It's going for around $150 and it's completely legit. I got one for my 15" and it's great esp with the instant $100 off of retail.