I'm about to install a seagate momentus xt drive but I need some help.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by negro napoleon, Sep 5, 2012.

1. negro napoleon macrumors member

I'm about to install a seagate momentus xt drive but I need some help. Should I clone first and then upgrade the OS or upgrade the OS then clone?

I'm running an early 2008 black macbook on OS 10.6.8.

I've been using the original 320 GB but since thats getting full, I'm running low on space and I'm about to install the Seagate Momentus XT 750 HDD/SSD.

I was wondering if it would be better if I cloned everything to the new drive first and then upgrade the OS once I dropped in the new drive into my laptop...

OR

...Should I take the new and blank harddrive and install the new OS on it, then copy stuff onto it?

OR

should I ...do something I haven't mentioned?

What would you all do and which process do you recommend?

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

First, update the HDD firmware in a windows machine ^(bootcamp will do).
    Then fresh install.Had a 500Gb one, nice drive after the firmware updates.

3. negro napoleon thread starter macrumors member

Do I have to use a windows PC?

4. Bilalo macrumors 6502

First make sure of the HD format, I made mine into Ex-Fat so it would be 100% compatible with both mac and windows but not on consoles. So if you only use macs format it to the MAC format and if both you either have to partition or make it into exfat.

5. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

That, or a bootcamp instalation.I think if you burn a cd with the firmware iso you can update it on your mac too.

6. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

No you dont. I installed the same drive couple of months ago used my macbook to flash the fw of the drive.

Here are the instructions - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401972

Great drive btw!