I'm About To Throw My ****ing HP Printer Off The Deck

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RealMadrid15, Aug 12, 2012.

1. RealMadrid15 macrumors member

I've been trying to set-up my POS HP wireless printer all day. And I finally did it except one problem.

The HP printer decided that it wanted to start it's own wireless network.

It named it HP-Setup-61-Deskjet 3050.

Fantastic. So all of my neighbors can just join the unsecured wireless network of my ****ing printer.

----

Please does anyone know what to do. All I want is to have my Time Capsule be the center of my network with my computer connected to my Time Capsule and this POS wireless printer connected to my Time Capsule.

Currently my printer is connected to my Time Capsule and just happens to also function as a wireless router.

----

Hmm usually when I'm at this stage of anger and it's with a game I can bribe people on the forums to answer my question with in-game currency or gifts.

What do you guys want.

----

I'm so sick of this if I don't figure it out by 10:00 PM EST tonight I'm just throwing it off the deck. Maybe I'll post a video.

2. 156457 macrumors 6502

I won't answer because I don't know but also because I want to see a video of this thing being thrown.

3. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

I have the same printer, I just want to throw it away too.

AWFUL.

4. selfinfliction macrumors newbie

Get a Brother printer, they work flawlessly in every way with network scanning, printing and everything else. We switched from Dell to Brother last month thanks to some recommendations on here and we'll never own another brand.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree!

I had an HP PSC 2510 wireless printer. I know. Old. It had 700 Gigabytes of drivers for windows XP, PLUS you had to download a nasty 2 Gig heaping spoonful of MS .net. The driver for OS X was 30 MB. That's tens of megs versus hundreds of gigs.

I decided that HP (inkjet "windows printer") software just plain sucked and decided it was time to look for a new model of printer. I started by examining logos on the outside of printer boxes. That's when I noticed OS X and Linux logos on the outside of Brother laser printer boxes. SOLD! I bought one and it has worked flawlessly ever since. In fact, I've bought a couple more and I'm very happy with each of them. The ONLY down side is Brother cartridges have a built in mechanical "counter" that needs to be disassembled and manually reset if you ever buy raw toner instead of a cartridge.

I use a Brother 7440 as my network scanner. It is very reliable and I've had it for so long it needs a drum. I was relieved to find the drum isn't that expensive so I'll be keeping it for a while longer.

Go with Brother for OSX. In fact, I suggested a Brother 2270DW to a friend of mine who uses Windows and it has worked flawlessly for him as well. The last time I checked, it was selling for $99.

6. stchman macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken, a wireless printer connects to a wireless router and does not act as a router.

I would assume it would be as easy as telling the printer to connect to your wireless router and input the passphrase (if encrypted signal). Your router will assign the printer an IP address. I would recommend a static IP address for the printer.

7. JoeBlow74 macrumors regular

Do it. But, before you do, video it and post a link to YouTube.

8. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

HP + Mac = No go

There is a way which a guy I know did. He took about 3 days looking on the interweb for a solution and downloading new drivers etc... Eventually the printer just died and he returned it to HP... Refund. Done. Brother all the way...

I have an old HP which sits on my desk. I connect it straight to my Mac with the cable which turns to USB. It works fine and when I want to print something, I just plug it in and away it goes. Dont mess around with a Time capsule or whatever. If you want to keep the printer, just plug it in the old fashioned way and set it up.

(this should work but i'm not guaranteeing anything...)

9. AlphaCenturia macrumors newbie

My Officejet 4500 just won't pick up papers at the right time so I need to stand beside it and manually push in the papers...it will often screw up everything while doing manual duplex...

10. WSR macrumors regular

I've had good luck with HP printers. My current one is a HP C310a wireless printer w/ AirPrint ability, and it works great.

When you say it's setting up it's own new network, I assume you are seeing it when you click on the WiFi icon in the menubar. Also, I assume by the printer connected to the Time Capsule you mean a physical USB connection.

One note with my printer, it doesn't work with both USB and WiFi at the same time. Thus, mine isn't using a USB connection. It's 100% WiFi.

Since you should be able to set up the WiFi printing through the Time Capsule, you might try turning off the printer's WiFi ability and print through the Time Capsule instead.

Another thought, since it's naming the network "HP-Setup-61-Deskjet 3050". I wonder if is a temporary network it sets up to configure the printer through WiFi, and once the WiFi is configured, it will disappear. Thus, make sure it is fully configured.

Also, look at this page:http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printe...RINTER-WIRELESS-SSID-amp-quot-HP/td-p/1404707
    I think it confirms it is a temporary network.

11. stchman macrumors 6502a

Don't tell my HP Color Laserjet 2605dn and my HP Laserjet 4050tn. They both work perfectly. Now OS X could not find my 4050tn until I inputted the IP address manually, but after that it worked fine.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Does any printer just work on bluetooth and you sit at your computer or hold your iphone and just pick the printer in range or do you always have to set up a network using a wireless router and go through that to get to the printer?

13. WSR macrumors regular

They do exist. Just search for "bluetooth printer" on Google or Amazon and you'll get some as well as bluetooth printer servers that I guess you could attach a printer to. I doubt you would find one that is just bluetooth.

14. PrinterMan macrumors newbie

Yet another outrageous thread defaming and advocating violence against our kind. We printers are NOTHING like the annoying, ink guzzling, hard to connect, short lived, expensive, noisy, slow, inefficient machines you people seem to portray us as. I mean printers are people too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgDFcTih3RA

If you could send through an apology, I'll queue it whilst I fix this spool jam.

Yours, sincer...PC LOAD LETTER