I'm about to throw this thing!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shaunymac, Aug 18, 2008.

1. shaunymac macrumors 6502

This is my second attempt at typing this. Mobile safari is garbage. I love macs but this iPhone crap is beginning todrive me nuts. First the price gouge, still lacking features and I still can't "surf the web" if I needto without being kicked back to the home page. This thing is really close to going on CL or Ebay. I should have just got a card for the mbp and a cheap phone.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Appparently the coming software update fixes the unusual amount of Safari crashing that you are describing.

3. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I have the same problems, waiting to see if the next update fixes these bugs

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Safari crashed a lot when the first generation iPhone with the 1.0 software was released. Apple released updates that made it a lot more stable.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to fix Safari on the 2.0 software.

But seriously, if it's irritating you that much, I'd suggest selling it now and coming back in a few months when everything's way more stable.

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

I'm about to throw his thing!!!!

through it in a box and mail it to me :p

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Why don't you try to fix the problem instead of complaining about it?

Try restoring the phone, but then setting it up as a new phone (which won't extend your contract) that way the problem (which is likely software related) won't be restored from your backup. Or Call Apple and have them help you fix it.

TEG

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, I haven't had this sort of problem with my iPhone. I hope you get it fixed soon.

8. nima macrumors member

nima

mmmm i disagree the new software wont fix that problem because no one has addressed that to apple yet.

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

mmmm I disagree read the first 5 posts or so from this thread.

10. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

I don't think I have experienced a safari crash yet, and I've had the phone since launch day. The only problem I have is that if I don't turn my phone off and then back on in the morning for some reason I don't receive my emails. I suspect that it is due to a handoff problem between 3G, Edge, & my home wifi network.

11. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

12. ballen420 macrumors 6502

I haven't experienced a crash since 1.1.4 on the 1st gen phone. And even then, it would only crash if it was trying to load too many images over the Edge network.

Haven't had a problem on the 3G (w/ Safari, many other problems with apps!) I would try to restore it like TEG suggested. If that doesn't work, maybe swap it out for a new one.

13. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

I used to have the problem on 1.0, but none really now.

perhaps you should restore?

14. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

to TEG...I'm not complaing, I have just had this problem with my iPhone since the get go. I have had mine swapped twice and I still expierence the problems. I am more so just releasing some steam that was built up inside. Now that I am on a real mac :apple::) I can finally get to a page and type something.

I expierenced all of the crashing of safari in the early stages of 1.0 and now it seems as if it has crept back in 2.0. I dont understand that. I know others have had the problems also, some just try to forget about it or others just look past it. Heck, some people dont even know what our phone does! I had to help two people out, freinds of the family, the other day with their new macs and iphones. Dad and son both got maxed out MBP's 4gb or ram etc. and they have never touched a mac in their life! Oh, and they cant really get around on the iPhone either. Wow.

This is why I feel apple should stick to their core values and please the true mac people and let new people come aboard if they are willing. Wait and see, apple is going to turn into sometihing uncontrolable bc of this iphone crap now bc "everyone" in the world "needs" one! Ridiculous. They are not nokia. They are a computer company.

15. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

oh, i failed to mention, I am downloading 2.1 and it is installing as I type. Hopefully they will address the problems. Peace guys:cool:

16. profetto macrumors regular

17. svndmvn Guest

what 2.1? why not 2.0.2 just like everybody else?
    edit: btw, safari crashed on me a couple of times, i believe restarting your iphone once in a while is good for it,since it's some sort of computer and it only has 128MB of RAM, I remember somebody saying Macs should be restarted once in a couple of days..and emptying all the safari stuff once in a while should help as well

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

What is this gouge of which you speak?

19. CharQuake macrumors member

I feel sorry for whoever is getting his thing thrown, Im glad you're not throwing my thing... :D

20. bluedevils macrumors member

I disagree. My mac mini goes months without a powercycle. In fact the only reasons I powercycle are updates and a flooded basement.

21. Wakakanada macrumors regular

So is the iPhone crap or not?

Trying to decide whether to get 2 iPhones for our family. I'm trying to decide if they would be worth increasing my phone bill by $120/month for two phones...is anyone happy with their iPhones...one would think there must be, but the online community sure has a hate on for it. Does Safari work on most pages? I know I have only found one of four iPhones on display which can access www.yahoo.jp the others say the server cannot be connected to. Is this just a matter of clearing the cache? (is that easy to do on iPhone?) or is there a real problem accessing webpages on the iPhone?:confused:

22. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Last two trys of Safari when I needed it crashed multiple times, 2.0.1.

When I tried to make a post hear, during the first week of 2.0, it crashed halfway into the message, didn't bother ever again.

I hope it gets fixed soon. Haven't tried it with 2.0.2

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

This thread is getting pretty ripe. Flames, threadjacking, I laughed, I cried...

24. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, im sorry, i am downloading 2.0.2 like everyone else:), must have been typing a little to fast.

It seems as if my thread has brought some peoples thoughts out from hiding. Safari does indeed crash often or it will give you the pleasant dialog box to the the extent of letting you know that it can't access a server.

TimB, i know how you feel about making a post and then it crashing. My inital post was from the iphone and it was pretty lengthy, as I had some thoughts built up from the frustration. And then bam! welcome to the home screen again. So much for trying to remeber what i wrote for that post:(.

I could understand if it happened every so often, but all the time! It gets to the point where i dont even want to open safari and check macrumors out or a few other sites that I hit up on a regular basis.

Pnutts- The price gouge i speak of is the initial price of $500 or so and now they are what $150? Now every single teenager in 5th grade is probably walking around with a phone capable of email....Is this really necessary?

Profetto- mine is a little different looking than every other 2g/1st gen iphone out there. About a month after I got mine, I took it apart and painted it black to seperate it from the pack, and what do you know they come out with a black one:D. Mine still looks better though. The kept the chrome bezel which I didn't understand. Mine is very sleek looking compared to it and far less distracting while viewing.

I guess we shall see what the new update brings everyone! Hopefully everything went smoothly and everyone is up and running. I guess they figured out there server issue :). I had no problems. Let the testing begin.

25. nima macrumors member

nima