I'm about to upgrade to Leopard...some questions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Joeytpg, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Hi guys, I'm about to upgrade from tiger to Leopard. I'd like to know if it's safe to do the normal "upgrade" (where you don't have to back anything up and install the OS from scratch pretty much deleting the previous version) ???

Some one told me Leopard crashed a lot when he installed it by simple updating, and then had to reinstall the os deleting tiger.

is this true??

2. ETID macrumors regular

I installed leopard over tiger and it was completely successful and a lot less time consuming , especially as I didn't have an external drive to hand.

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I purchased my MBP and it came with Tiger installed. The Leopard DVD was included with the purchase. I upgraded after first turning on my MBP and it's ran perfect ever since. It took no time at all to upgrade and everything went smooth.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Worked fine for me.

I still backed most things up though - just in case.

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

If you have the hard drive space, the best thing to do is select "Options" partway through the installation and choose "Archive and Install." This will make a second partition for all the data in your home directory, make a completely new install of Leopard, copy all your home directory data into the new installation once it's done, and then delete the old partition.

This way you essentially have a fresh install, but also keep all of your data exactly as it was before. If you can do this, I strongly suggest this installation over the default "Upgrade" installation. Everything may go fine, and for lots of people it hasn't given any problems, but there's still the chance you might be unlucky and run into some bugs if you go that way.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It worked fine for me, not for my brother. He had an issue, which the Apple Store fixed, without touching his files....also he could boot into target disk mode, so he grab some important files he was working on.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

safari wouldn't open in my attempt, archive and install is recommended. direct update, especially for a Tiger that has been used for quite a while will sometimes produce subtle but annoy problems and you don't know how to fix, and it can be anything...

8. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Depends how long you've had it and how much you have on it.

I didn't have an awful lot on my iMac and had only had it for about 3 months when I upgraded to Leopard with no problems.

If you've had it a while, Archive and Install might not work but apparently Adobe apps don't like Archive and Install (An Apple Employee told me this)

9. jdwingnut macrumors regular

In a word YES.

Although there are many who have had no issues with Apple's "upgrade" process, it is a known issue within Apple Support that the "Archive and install" is the recommended procedure for moving from Tiger to Leopard.

I myself, did the upgrade when it first came out and had issues after that. Apple support told me I need to either do an archive and install or an erase and install.

Another thing. BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST before doing anything else. I actually cloned my Tiger drive and can now actually use it as an external boot drive for Tiger. Just my 2 cents. Proceed with caution would be my advise. :)

10. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

How can I clone my tiger drive? I have an external HD I can use for this.

11. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Boot from the install disk and go into Disk Utility. You can clone from there I believe, however I'm not 100% on that.

12. jdwingnut macrumors regular

I use a free 3rd party app called Carbon Copy Cloner, but believe there are a couple of others as well. Give a quick search of the forums. I can't recall what their called.

CCC has served me well, but there is one downside I have come across. The drives have to be identical in size or at least drive to partition. I've not cloned to a partition yet, but believe this to be possible.

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

save yourself a hassle and do an A&I. Upgrade gave me the BSOD...