I'm afraid I may have a problem. Ideas?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by huttjos, Nov 14, 2010.

1. huttjos macrumors newbie

I am running an Intel Core Duo 17" iMac 1G. I got it a little after it's initial release in 06'. The other day on my screen, a strip of vertical pixels turned a light blue color. Today, (2 days later) a second vertical strip appeared.

Is my screen going? Or is this something that can be fixed by software, or a long shut of period.

I know I'm long over due for my iMac upgrade, but up until now this baby has rocked solid using intense apps and solid computing.

Funny enough, I'm also still rockin' an iPhone 1G! It's so upgrade time, but I'm holding out to see what verizon is soon to be offering with an iPhone.

We all know it's coming very soon...

Thanks for any help!

2. jim.lynch macrumors member

Sounds like a "graphics card" issue - although it will probably be a mobile chip on the board rather than a changeable card. Unfortunately I suspect it might be cheaper and easier to get a new mac :(
    On the upside you will be getting a new mac :)

3. lcseds macrumors 6502a

If it is a thin line, like a piece of string, then the LCD is bad. Likely not economical to repair.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If you have an Apple Service Provider in your vicinity (have a look on the Apple site for addresses) it may pay you to pop it over to them. They'll certainly be able to tell you what it'll cost to put right.

5. MacHamster68, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

very common problem , have the same iMac 1st gen intel, they seem all to get the lines sooner or later (the white intels if you look on ebay you find lots of white intel iMac with lines on screen ), mine was lucky to get them within apple care , like the powersupply too and the logicboard and the harddrive and the optical drive , in mine only the outer shell is from 2007 and some wires inside i suppose , other then that its just a year old or less inside

if you can find one with a good display then make one out of two , trouble is you wont know how long that will last , best option get a new display , but either way it wont be cheap ,
    you could sell ,but with stripes its not adviceable if you want money for it to buy something faster then a eMac ,the trouble is with the lines its not worth much, as everybody knows the display is 2nd most expensive part after the logicboard
    so your only realistic option to get a usable iMac will be to pay for the new display and hope that the logicboard/powersupply is not going too soon

or use as is far as long as it takes you to save for a new iMac , the strips are annoying , but the iMac will still be usable .., cheapest option would be to connect a monitor

6. iMacC2D, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017