I'm afraid what I downloaded...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hellhammer, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So today I was searching something from Google and opened one page. The site never opened and it's address was changing rapidly. Then it downloaded a file called movie.dmg to my Safari downloads. Of course I didn't install it because I thought it was a trojan and removed it from my downloads folder and reseted Safari. There's nothing found on "movie.dmg" when I search using Spotlight. So, am I safe now? Is it removed permanently? I installed nothing so I think nothing bad happened but I want to hear your opinions as well.

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm sure it is fine
    If you didn't install anything and you didn't enter your Admin Password you are fine

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

You never opened the file, and if it did something bad it would have asked for a Username and Password first, you are fine. If you were using Windows on the other hand it would be game over.

4. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thanks for your amazingly fast responses. Yea, I didn't install anything and didn't type my admin pass.

I just wanted to make sure that I'm fine ;)

Thank you both

5. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

If it were Windows the Antivirus would have caught it and flashed a warning, and if they didn't have antivirus, it would still have been necessary to run this file.

True its possible to execute code Windows without the user's permission, but not in this fashion.