Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
There isn't much to see in terms of screenshots in the app store but from what i can see, ui doesn't seem all that great. i remember tinkering with this app on my old blackberry and wasn't impressed but others might enjoy it. and you can't beat free.

Here's the link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=285688934&mt=8

also, never hurts to have more than one IM app on your iphone in case one of your IM apps' servers are down (*cough* mobilechat)

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
There isn't much to see in terms of screenshots in the app store but from what i can see, ui doesn't seem all that great. i remember tinkering with this app on my old blackberry and wasn't impressed but others might enjoy it. and you can't beat free.

I don't see it. Link please!

jsep

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Carlsbad, CA
love it

Loving this app. Super simple and super solid. Only problem I see so far is that I can't tell which chat client i'm talking to. Outside of that, this is so much more stable then MobileChat. Not as many bells and whistles, but if all you want to do is chat, this is it ... for now.

Hmmm ... maybe i spoke too soon. My phone went to sleep. When it woke back up, the app disconnected from the chat servers. Then when I reconnected it crashed. Then when I went back into the app, I had to setup all my chat clients again. Outside of that ... is great ...

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
i just like the ability to sign on to accounts individually and so far only palringo does that for me. i guess its more waiting. i did install this one check it out and it seemed fine. just dont know what service your contacts are on and you have to sign in to all accounts or out at the same time.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
@Digipimp
Not true. You turn them off or on in the settings and it logs you on or off of them.

yeah but i have to turn an account on or off, i cant just change the status of an individual account to go on, off, away or something?

jsep

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Carlsbad, CA
Yes, true. You can turn an individual chat client on or off but you can't set an individual status. Hopefully BeeJive will be out soon!

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
I know, I know, Palringo is a piece of crap. But how does IM+ compare to it? Since the 2.1 update, Palringo has been really reliable for me... Does this crash a lot from what you guys can tell? Are there any benefits of using this over Palringo in terms of extra features and usability?

Thanks in advance

Justin

p.s. the only reason I haven't downloaded it for myself is I need to make sure something is pretty decent before it touches my iphone.... plus I'm really neurotic and OCD and all that jazz.... :eek:

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Does it store credentials on their server? Or is it direct contact to each IM service?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Does it store credentials on their server? Or is it direct contact to each IM service?

Direct contact I believe as you don't need to register for an account with them and there is no background functionality.

kickpush

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
New York
I like the interface a lot better than Palringo and it's more reliable than Mobile Chat (so far) and it's free...

It's crashed on me once and I had to re-enter my credentials for my account, and it doesn't store messages, bummer.

I really wish someone would release a solid IM program..

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Still has the same typing bug as AIM.app Can't type under a suggestion bubble without closing it.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
I like the interface a lot better than Palringo and it's more reliable than Mobile Chat (so far) and it's free...

It's crashed on me once and I had to re-enter my credentials for my account, and it doesn't store messages, bummer....

Thanks for your insight. Well, I ended up downloading it and I was pleasantly surprised. Although there are still some kinks to work out (no landscape, a few bugs, no saved conversations, no distinction between what im client your buddies are on), I thought for a 1.0 version, it performs swimmingly... :)

IM+ were pretty good on my old nokia n95, so I'm glad to see they are still creating solid apps. And I'm sure they will eventually sell it like all of their other ones, so this is a good deal (sort of :rolleyes:). As long as they issue standard updates every now and then to improve some things (like the things mentioned above), this will really be a killer IM app. No beejive, of course, but definitely still a contender.

Hope that helps whoever's interested... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.