I'm All In!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soop53, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

I just ordered the beast...mac pro!!! I have been using a Powerbook G3 Lombard since August '99 (still going strong). The last desktop was a Centris 650 back in '92. I switched to PCs so my son could play games. We got into building some but he moved on. I am so frustrated with the dark side. I finally made the full leap back into the light!

My Mac Pro:

Part Number: Z0EM
    AirPort Extreme card (Wi-Fi)
    One 16x SuperDrive
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    2GB (2 x 1GB)
    320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    Accessory kit
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)

$2,874.00

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro --- $199.00

Estimated Ship: 2-4 weeks
    Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours

After reading many reviews I decided against Apple Monitors right now. Will look at other alternatives until I see any updates. Plus 3rd party RAM, harddrives...etc.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Congrats. You should notice a bit of a speed increase over your Lombard. :p

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

wow what a step forward ...

I'm on a powerbook G4 and I'm already looking to ad some speed.
    What took you so long ?

4. Soop53 thread starter macrumors regular

Soop53

Yes, I agree with the bump in speed...Ha! As for the wait...well lets see, Jeep Rubicon, Harley Davidson Heritage Classic, 5 grandkids...ah, you get the message. Not bad for a old man!!! Really, when people complain about efficiency I continued to enjoy my G3. My son-in-law went through 5 Dell Laptops in that time span. He even is waivering on a switch over.

5. LostSunrise macrumors member

Something in the Middle...

I'm sure this is a over done comment but for a guy like you its too bad there isn't something in the middle. I'm the recent victim of a serious relationship and got stuck at my girlfriends place a few nights a week. Luckily she recently purchased a 20 inch aluminum iMac which I proceeded to install shake aftereffects and photoshop CS3 on. I have to say I was amazed at how responsive it was for those apps. Especially considering I was crunching through 1920x1080 10bit log DPX frames at 7.9mb a piece. Previously I had been working on DP Power Mac G5s and this little thing smoked those. So for you a high end imac would of been ample speed jump. Its just ashame there isn't something inbetween the highest end imac and the lowest end mac pro that allows 2 drives an expansion card or two and full size RAM dimms.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That jump is going to blow your mind no doubt!

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Hmmmmm, I would think it would be switching to the dark side with all that money we put down. lol. ;)

Anyway, you have no idea what you are in for. It's the greatest machine ever. I love it! I do need to get a lot more RAM though. :D