Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
As a lifelong iOS user I decided a few years ago that I would swap my iPhone-X for a Samsung Note 10+ and give Android a try. I was impressed with with the Samsung hardware, and the Android based OS didn't seem too terribly bad.

After several months of forcing myself to use the Note 10+ I grew weary and went back to my old iPhone.

Last year I took a deep breath and in an attempt to once again switch from iOS to Android I dumped $1,800 on a Samsung Z Fold 3. Very cool phone and it was nice to see how much Android had improved since my Note 10+

But alas, the ZF3 with its clumsy ergonomics, folding screen cracks running rampant, and two different weird screen sizes that fit absolutely nothing I found myself going back to my old iPhone. :(
Now my big dollar Z Fold 3 sits in my desk drawer collecting dust while my old iPhone is once again my daily workhorse.

So now in a desperate attempt to prove that Android is wonderful and the real problem is "me" I dumped another pile of money on a Galaxy Tab S8+ with a bunch of accessories.
Galaxy-Tab-S8-0001.jpg

Come on man. . .
All those Android fanboys cant possibly be wrong!

Come-On-Man.gif

So now I have close to 3 grand tied up in the latest Samsung hardware & gadgets...
...and still, I'm relying on an old iPhone 6S+ to get the job done.:rolleyes:

What am I missing?
Why am I not living in paradise with all the other Android fans? Honestly... I feel cheated!

* About a third of the apps I use on my iPhone look and function like crap on my Android equipment.
* Then there are several iOS apps that simply cant be had on the Android Play Store or the Galaxy store. <frustrating>
* Most of my favorite iOS apps look so blocky and just plain shabby on my Android equipment all it does is tick me off worse!
* My iPads & iPhones could stay on for months without a reboot. It was never an issue. That's not the case with these Android devices.

I really want to be an Android fan but no matter what I try or how much cash I spend I just cant make it happen.
It seems I'm trapped in Apple's walled garden forever. 😥
Apple-walled-garden-0001.jpg

I'm open for any advice from the crew here on what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks... and sorry for the long self-serving post.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
You should try a device that is pure android and see if that works for you.

That said, I use an iPhone and a Pixel and to me Android, even in its purest form just doesn't feel finished. The apps, even the ones that are ports lack the polish, just like the OS.

It is two different user experiences for me, I view the Pixel as a utility tool, I make calls, I use it for maps - work stuff.

Conversely, the iPhone is not just utilitarian at all because it is all tied together - I don't need a workaround for things I use daily. It is a more enjoyable overall user experience for me.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
Why do you even want to use Android in the first place?
Why Android?
From what I read on the Samsung and Android forums it's the most wonderful OS on the planet! They say that Apple & iOS is like being in prison and once you go to an Android device you will be very happy and never go back to iOS.

Ios-vs-Android-0001.jpg

I was just looking for some of that Android glory.

I'm not an IT guy at all, just a standard user that needs reliability, durability, and predictability.
With my current iOS devices (and some occasional help from Windows apps like iMazing) I can do anything I need. IMHO switching to Android adds nothing.

I guess if I never used iOS and only knew Android I would be fine with it.
BTW... Thanks for the reply. ?

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have a 13PM for my work line but it sits on my desk when I'm not working. Main device is an S22U with the Tab S8 ultra and I absolutely love them both in combination with each other. Background on me I have almost every flagship device out there. I just don't see how anyone can not be happy with either unless they are a fan of the other. I love my 13PM and iPad Pro 12.9 but my fav combination is the S22U and tab S8 Ultra. Go with what makes you happy and what works for you.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
Those are all good points cyclingplatypus.
And yes indeed, with Android's file handling capabilities it's a lot more like a Windows Explorer environment so I would imagine an IT guy could really work a lot more "magic" on Android device than on Apple's closed system.

I see that Android also interfaces a Windows PC a lot more naturally than an iOS device.

From my point of view Android is indeed 'different' than iOS but certainly not the Nirvana I was expecting.
nirvana-woman-0001.jpg

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Main device is an S22U with the Tab S8 ultra and I absolutely love them both in combination with each other. Background on me I have almost every flagship device out there. I just don't see how anyone can not be happy with either unless they are a fan of the other.
My Note 10+, Z Fold 3, and Tab S8+ are all mighty nice devices.
I'm guessing if I wasn't raised on iOS I'd probably be just as happy with Android... But I tried to walk away from iOS and experience the glory of Android, but meh... no dice.

This latest Tab S8+ I just bought was the deal closer on my Android fantasy. It's a very interesting device but I see no need to walk away from Apple.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to make the switch to Android but now I see an iPhone in my future (and my current iPad Pro is due for a replacement too)! ;)

Reactions: aggie99 and LFC2020

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Like with anything in life, if you go with it without a reason/purpose, you will end up dropping it.
What's your reason of using Android? Without a concrete intention/preference, you won't enjoy it.

I use both iPhone and Android, and I use Android as my primary driver for specific reasons that simply are not offered on iPhone.

1. Dual physical SIM slot. This has been the standard on any Android phones in my country for decades. iPhones in my country are essentially single SIM as the top 3 operators are not supporting eSIM.

2. Twin apps. Meaning I can have two different whatsapp account in one phone. This is a must have for me, and it's standard feature on most Android skins (OneUI, MiUI, ColorOS, etc). iPhone cannot do this.

3. Call recording. Standard feature on OneUI and MiUI, but again, not on iOS.

4. App selections. Due to the majority of marketshare of Android, many institutions in my country focus on making Android app first. Government apps are usually available on Android first or only.

5. Less conspicuous in the public. Not a big deal in the capital city in my country, but outside the capital, flaunting an iPhone in the public can attract unwanted attention. Meanwhile, Android design is a dime a dozen, so less conspicuous. :D

If you are an iPhone user, the best way to play with Android is not by buying the expensive phones. You are just wasting money. There are plenty of great Android phones to toy around with in the $200-$500 price range. Right now, the Samsung Galaxy A52s is one of the best overall bang for the buck mid-ranger. Want Super AMOLED 90Hz on the cheap? There's Redmi Note 11 for less than $200. Want to try the cheapest but decent Android experience? Galaxy A03 for just around $100. The beauty of Android is there are plenty of choice to get what you are looking for. Of course, you have to know what you want first. If you're going in blind, you won't appreciate the advantages of the platform.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
The beauty of Android is there are plenty of choice to get what you are looking for. Of course, you have to know what you want first. If you're going in blind, you won't appreciate the advantages of the platform.
Thank you for the detailed reply.
There was a lot of good information in your post. Good perspective. :)

It seems apparent to me now that Android doesn't necessarily replace iOS just like iOS doesn't necessarily replace Android.
I'm also beginning to see that there are quite a few people that use both Android 'and' iOS devices for their needs.
Regards,
-Jake- ?

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Why Android?
From what I read on the Samsung and Android forums it's the most wonderful OS on the planet! They say that Apple & iOS is like being in prison and once you go to an Android device you will be very happy and never go back to iOS.

Ios-vs-Android-0001.jpg

I was just looking for some of that Android glory.

I'm not an IT guy at all, just a standard user that needs reliability, durability, and predictability.
With my current iOS devices (and some occasional help from Windows apps like iMazing) I can do anything I need. IMHO switching to Android adds nothing.

I guess if I never used iOS and only knew Android I would be fine with it.
BTW... Thanks for the reply. ?
Just use whatever works for you. I used to love Android because of Vanced, but now it's gone. Vanced was so much better than YouTube premium and had many features.
Samsung doesn't really have the best Android experience. You should've tried Google Pixel.

Reactions: Electrojake

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You should try a device that is pure android and see if that works for you.

That said, I use an iPhone and a Pixel and to me Android, even in its purest form just doesn't feel finished. The apps, even the ones that are ports lack the polish, just like the OS.

It is two different user experiences for me, I view the Pixel as a utility tool, I make calls, I use it for maps - work stuff.

Conversely, the iPhone is not just utilitarian at all because it is all tied together - I don't need a workaround for things I use daily. It is a more enjoyable overall user experience for me.
Ironically, stock Android/Pixel at this point is probably the most barebone Android experience. It's good for basic phone use and if you rely a lot on Google Assistant.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Just use whatever works for you. I used to love Android because of Vanced, but now it's gone. Vanced was so much better than YouTube premium and had many features.
Samsung doesn't really have the best Android experience. You should've tried Google Pixel.
I agree with your first sentence. But the last couple, man idunno. I have a Pixel 6 Pro and its a great device but I also have an S22 Ultra and it's by far the best Android experience if not the best smartphone out there right now.

Jetscreamer

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2021
You can’t just go cold turkey from iOS. You have to slowly wean yourself into Android. Start over with the Galaxy S22 Ultra and then sell or throw out your iPhone, then you won’t be tempted to go back to your old fix. Remember, your body will resist and you will have withdraw pain and anxiety. But you can beat this addiction if you stay strong and join a support group. Good luck.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I have also tried android a couple of times and always went back to iPhone. For a while I had two phones one was an android for my work and the other was an iPhone but even then the android was just used for phone calls so that clients didn't have my personal number.

jinx.pt

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Like others have said, you need a reason. If you're only going by what you perceive some notion of popularity, you are bound for disappointment.

See it this way:
- The core thing an Android device gives you over an iPhone is that it has more configurability, tweak ability and generally it's a much more hackable device (hackable in terms of allowing you to do more with it).
- The core thing for an iPhone is it's simplicity, ease of use and overall stability/polishness. As time went on, the iPhone has become increasingly useful but there will always be some "things" you can do on an Android that you can't on an iPhone.

Now this is probably one of your issues. "Android is great", "not a walled garden", etc are phrases that mostly come from tech savvy users, about features you don't know nor want to know anything about. Which means the main things you are looking for (ease of use, simplicity, polish) are the main things that are not there.

Some additional context: I work in IT. Without going into details, I do extremely complex work around the Big Data area. I use an iPhone, because while Android does give tools that aren't available on the iPhone, what I actually need is to work with remote machines, not on my phone - there's plenty of tools for iPhones for that for an emergency. I have enough complexity (and windows ?) in my life - thank you very much - so I use MacOs and iPhone as my personal devices - simplicity, polish, and actually working features and a fully integrated ecosystem (I also have a couple cheap Androids on a drawer for when I want to do some twinkering/hacks/bots).

It feels like what you need is the iOS ecosystem. No shame in using the best tool for the job.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
How do you know you are using the right platform , without trying yourself ?!
Because there are some who have a romance with Apple. We have seen others come into this forum, telling us that Android, “just needs to go away” and leave the business to Apple. What they fail to realize is that “competition is good” and it’s good for the consumer. Without competition things get stale. We are now at the point where the biggest features of the iPhone are the new limited colors and slight yearly hardware upgrades. The same goes for tablets, computers, operating systems.

It’s the same in the videogame business. To their credit, Nintendo is the only company who “ALWAYS” thinks outside the box.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Interesting thread.

A point worth noting is that experience is worth hoarding religiously. If you’re an iOS user and then switch to android you’re throwing all that experience under a bus. Every switch you make and every decision you make which means scrapping knowledge or having to learn something from scratch is a social and personal disadvantage.

I made the switch from android to iOS back in 2015 because the android devices of the era were unreliable and untrustworthy at best. When I lost a week of holiday photos on a Motorola device because of SD corruption that was the final straw. So I bought a 6s. At that point I found the 6s thoroughly frustrating to use because it wasn’t what I was used to. Eventually, after nearly a year, I reprogrammed myself to use iOS. Now 7 years down the line, iOS is perhaps weirdly an extension of myself and allows me to flow through life in total order with a massive social and personal advantage.

I will say that even the die hard android fanboys in my social group are now iPhone owners. They had excess income due to no commute during covid and decided to spend on a new phone. Thus the motivation was cost.

Ergo the two things to note:

1. If you’re going to switch, it’ll take you a year to become proficient in anything.

2. People seem to use android with the expectation that it’s cheaper or not apple and that apple is in some way bad. Not because it’s objectively better.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
On topic: Just stick to what you like, don't mind the hype from others.

Kind of on topic: I help out neighbours and others with their Androids and I find Samsung being the worst. Just the fact that there are two native App Stores are a bummer. The settings are scarily unintuitive. There are a lot of silly apps you can't uninstall or deactivate. And so on, and so forth.
But then, I am an AOSP guy, a LineageOS kind of geezer, Vanilla and Pure Android fan. At least, if I hadn't preferred iOS. Because I do. Why? It is easy, you can't customize it in every detail, which actually is relaxing, and the Apple eco system makes your daily living easier.
I used to program Androids, to root them, and to fiddle with them under the hood. Some customizations are wonderful, like AccA (although I used to use the Terminal version), which will make your battery last much longer. But all of that makes my brain hurt in the long run.
IOS is easy, it makes the phone being merely a tool, which it should be.
But that is what I think, and that only applies to me, not to anyone else.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
1. Dual physical SIM slot. This has been the standard on any Android phones in my country for decades. iPhones in my country are essentially single SIM as the top 3 operators are not supporting eSIM.
Decades? I'm sorry, Android as a Phone OS is barely 15 years old. You probably mean Symbian OS and all the predecessors. I haven't seen much dual SIM slot phones until China started to flood the market with cheap phones, probably around 2009(?).

I had my share of Android based encounters too, but with every device that comes along I still got this feeling that it makes it an unfinished product. Phones and even media players (with Android TV). iOS itself isn't perfect (I have my share of annoyances) but on iOS there is way more attention for visual detail.
The base line here and now is still the same as with desktop computers in the 80ies and 90ies: bad user interfaces, ease of use. And it is a really difficult thing to make. It is an art. That's why there are so many crappy applications out there, on iOS, Android and especially on Windows.

Last edited:

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
You simply did not have any reason to switch and that's why you never liked Android, imho. In 2014 I switched from the Galaxy S3 to the iPhone because I was just terribly frustrated with how unreliable Samsung's Android was at the time. I didn't regret it, the learning curve was not really there as I already had an iPad as well. In 2020 I got terribly bored of iPhone and was very disappointed with the 12 Pro (by that time I had already been using my X for almost three years) and, at the same time, I tried out the Galaxy Note20 Ultra which I ended up buying and that I've been using ever since. To me the change was a breeze (never had any issue with learning the new OS) and I'm very satisfied. Of course there are minor annoyances (actually, just two of them - Samsung's password management is a bit worse than Apple's and if I wanted to be able to open the browser bookmarks from my iPad on the Note or the other way round, I would have to use Chrome, which I refuse to), but in general I'm very happy with my choice and looking at the 13 Pro my bf is using, I don't feel like missing out on anything. At the same time, I still love my iPP and MBP and do not have the slightest intention of switching to Android/Windows (although I think the tablet software offered by Samsung is more capable than the iPad OS).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.