I'm an engineering student - need help buying a MBP.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigballerb3223, Jul 19, 2009.

1. bigballerb3223 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.
    So I just finished my first year of school as an engineering major. In addition my 13inch black Macbook is reaching the end of its life... it's time for me to upgrade to a new Macbook Pro.

I'm pretty set on the 15" size, but I'm unsure on what other specifications I need/should get.

My price goal is under $2000 (including student discount), but the cheaper the better.

I'm an Operations Research/Industrial Engineering major. Will probably be doing a lot of computer programming, maybe some design work.

So far I'm thinking 4GB Ram, but I have no idea what's the best processor or graphics card (and what is L2 Cache). Also, I'm open to an Apple refurbished computer, but I'm unsure if it's worth the cheaper price.

THANKS!

2. miiles macrumors regular

I have no idea what kind of processor power you will need so hopefully others will be able to help you out with that. However, don't go buying the RAM that Apple sells, its waaay overpriced, and an aftermarket upgrade from an authorized reseller will be the same quality for a fourth of the price.

I suggest looking at Crucial, OWC, and Newegg.

Hope this helps. :)

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

4. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

The refurb 2.4GHz uMBP is probly the best bang for the buck.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why, if you're only doing programming and "some design work" is the blackbook nearing the end of its life? IMO you should just wait until early next year when the MBPs get upgraded to Arrandale processors.