I'm an Idiot!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, May 16, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I thought my car plates were due next month and I got pulled over, and was given an ticket for $580.00 for having experired plates. Plus I have to register befrore I can drive agian. O well let that be a lesson for me I guess.

* Can anyone top a $580.00 ticket?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can top that.

Some idiot wanted to start a thread titled, 'I'm an idiot'. Instead, he wrote 'I'm and idiot'.

Can you beat that? :p

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Get in the habit of parking where you can look at the plates and the tires.

Amazing the number of people I see with flat tires on the driver's side that get in the car and drive away.

---

Usually try to leave a message on the driver's window, but when it gets over 110°F you think -- they'll see it and never do.

4. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Um, totalled my moms Jeep a couple years ago.. Thats pretty bad. It wasnt my fault so it was resolved.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

$580 for expired plate:eek:

what state ware you in?

6. acurafan macrumors 6502a

..."and" you have no grammar skills! (grammar police) :D

damn, that is "an" expensive ticket! at least no points right. :eek:

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

A state of poverty at the moment...

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ya, its ridiculous how much it was, the ticket is in Canada.

9. samiwas Suspended

Experired, huh? Anyway... I got pulled over for the same thing in Atlanta, GA , a few months ago and the ticket was only about $200, if that. $580 seems really steep for a minor infraction, unless there was something more going on.

10. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

In Texas if you get a ticket for that you can usually get it rescinded by getting a new registration right away (since its not a moving violation they are usually pretty easy going about it, unless its been expired for a long time), but I know some states can be real sticklers about it, not even letting you drive the car away. So you get stuck with the ticket plus tow and storage fee's, plus the whole day you waste trying to get it out.

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Weird I know, the ticket reads offence under section no 57 (1), Operate Unregistered vehicle.

a voluntary payment option of $580.00.

Do you think I can get plates on my car right away then the court will reverse that high ticket?

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If expired plates costs you $580, what does a speeding ticket cost up there? :eek:

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Driving with expired plates means your driving without insurance. That's not a minor infraction. I pay extra on my insurance for "uninsured motorist protection", so that I'm covered if someone without insurance hits me.

That still sucks, though. I would register the vehicle immediately, then go talk to the officer that issued the ticket. You might get lucky. :)

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

In MI, you renew your registration on your birthday, so it is pretty easy to remember. That sucks.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not necessarily. My insurance policy is a 6 month policy that expires in May and November (and is if course automatically renewed). My insurance is still valid even if my plates are not.

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

Were you in BC? As someone mentioned, that's driving without valid plates and driving without insurance, so two infractions.

If it was BC, then I don't have a lot of sympathy, ICBC sends you a letter reminding you to renew. Other provinces, I don't know about.

Due to a string of circumstances, my renewal date is about a week after the date that is noted on my plates. I leave it that way because I will often leave the renewal 'til the last couple of days - reminding myself of the due date by looking at the plates - and if I miss the renewal date by a couple days, I'm actually still legal.

But a month? Well, as you found out, that's "criminal" :D

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well not completely true there. In Texas if you let your registration leaps you get fined 100 something you have to pay in penalties. It might be only if you get caught and you are out side you 7 day window. or if you just are late by 7 days.
    I had a friend who got in trouble for it and had to pay the extra fines.

18. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

I think every county has there own individual rules about that because I was once given a ticket for expired registration, was a couple of weeks behind and when I went to renew it they asked me if I had received a ticket and I said yes and they gave me a letter to take to the court to get the ticket rescinded. This was in Denton County, TX and I am not sure what the rules are in other counties, but I am sure glad I don't live in Canada since I am very forgetful about Inspection/Registration even with the reminders.

19. bartelby macrumors Core

Are you sure your insurance isn't voided by having expired plates?

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think so...I've never been in that situation though, I always renew my plates on time

21. bartelby macrumors Core

You might want to check, just in case...
    :)

Having looked on the web, apparently you're insurance should be fine. I'm surprised at that, I'd have thought an insurance company would have found any excuse to void your insurance...

22. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

I believe here it is the other way around, you can't renew your registration without valid insurance.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

No because most if not all states will not register your car unless both the state inspection and insurance is up to date.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes...I have to provide proof of insurance every time I register a new car or renew my plates.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

One of the good things about Texas is they now have a state wide data base that insurance companies are required to keep up to date on all the cars they are insured in the state. When renewing it is pretty easy to get sticker for that because my car is in the data base as good.

Reason for this is currently in the state of Texas people can and will be pulled over and have the car impounded for driving with out insurance. Do not forget cops some times just sit on the side of the road running plates to see if the people driving have a warrant out for arrest, car is stolen, no insurance ect.