Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a certifiable iPhone addict and I admit it and think I need help! Well not really but I am quite crazy. I love technology so I'm always buying, selling, trading phones for the latest greatest etc...

Every year I get the new iPhone on Launch day. I'm on of the geeks who stays up til midnite and orders then meticulously tracks the progress (or lack thereof) of my phone. Then every year I end up being tempted by the latest Android offerings. But I ALWAYS come back to my iPhone. The longest I lasted was with a Galaxy S7 where I lasted 2 months.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've been through like 5 or 6 iPhone 6s Pluses. I'll get an Android, be all pumped, sell my iPhone on Swappa, then realize I miss my iPhone and buy one again. I've done this with the Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p, Galaxy S7 Edge, and Galaxy S7. I'm losing money doing all this swapping but a lot less than you'd think. I really feel crazy sometimes for having purchased 5 or 6 iPhones in the last year alone at or near full price and the same amount of Androids.

I've decided to turn over a new leaf this year and I'm buying a new iPhone on day 1 (as always), then buy a new Nexus when it's released, and finally a Galaxy S8 next spring. I intend on keeping all of the devices for once and not trying to minimize cost to me. I'll use some money I came into recently to do this and be able to keep 3 flagship devices at once and not just keep 1 and constantly sell/buy etc...

Does anyone else do this and do you always come back to the iPhone like I do? I want to make sure I'm not the ONLY crazy one here. Something about iPhones that keeps me coming back but Android is improving each year. Must be that Magic that Steve and now Tim always talk about. :)

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah…we generally buy our iPhones with the max capacity and stay with them for 2.5 to 3.5 years.

We don't sell. The older iPhones just get used as media devices. I know what I like…and it's not Android.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
I don't know if you qualify as a true addict.

Like you, I've gotten every iPhone on launch day. I camp out in line, arriving the day before launch (it's fun, I enjoy the company and the 'event' of it, and I'm fortunate enough to have a flexible enough schedule with my career as a software engineer to let me do this), and always get the maxed out phone. I never consider an Android phone because ... why? It won't integrate all the services cleanly with the rest of my devices ... that alone is a deal breaker.

Every time I've had a chance to fiddle with someone's Android device, I've been amazed anyone puts up with them.

So, if you want to be a true addict ... try not buying those Android things. ;)

Last edited:

BruceButtcheeks

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2015
Wow, I thought I was the only one. Maybe not as bad but I am a tech addict, my wife always thinks I bought a new phone every time a package comes.. It's true about 70% of the time lol.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
hen every year I end up being tempted by the latest Android offerings. But I ALWAYS come back to my iPhone. The longest I lasted was with a Galaxy S7 where I lasted 2 months.
Well, your better than me. I can't even consider using Android. I also upgrade every year, and I love it. Some say it is too expensive to do that, but it honestly isn't. If you put it into your yearly "budget", it is not that much more money. I then keep the old ones in the original box and store it for whatever strange reason.

BruceButtcheeks

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2015
Well, your better than me. I can't even consider using Android. I also upgrade every year, and I love it. Some say it is too expensive to do that, but it honestly isn't. If you put it into your yearly "budget", it is not that much more money. I then keep the old ones in the original box and store it for whatever strange reason.
I always fall for one Android or another, currently lusting over an HTC 10. No matter what I always come back to iPhone, it's nice to have iMessage and handoff with my MacBook.

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
Well I'm making the switch to iphone this year. Coming from a Note 4. Its done me well but I'm sick of all the late updates and been with Android since the S1. I fancy a change now.

TEWest

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
MS
I don't know if you qualify as a true addict.

Like you, I've gotten every iPhone on launch day. I camp out in line, arriving the day before launch (it's fun, I enjoy the company and the 'event' of it, and I'm fortunate enough to have a flexible enough schedule with my career as a software engineer to let me do this, and always get the maxed out phone. I never consider an Android phone because ... why? It won't integrate all the services cleanly with the rest of my devices ... that alone is a deal breaker.

Every time I've had a chance to fiddle with someone's Android device, I've been amazed anyone puts up with them.

So, if you want to be a true addict ... try not buying those Android things. ;)

And to think, I was an Android addict for about 2 years. Parts of the OS are clean, but some of the apps just seem to shout "lets throw something against the wall and see what sticks". I was a huge proponent of Hangouts, so much that I made many of my contacts mad when using it. For the so many things it got right, the very few that it got wrong were the important ones. And, now that I've been out of that camp for a while, it seems they still don't have a "definite" messaging solution (2 new choices, whatca gonna do with hangouts). I don't want to buy into an ecosystem that uses its consumers as a test base to say... well this works, no that doesn't work so let's eliminate this little part of the app. All great apps must start with a clear objective, then build upon it.

Sorry for the rant. I do enjoy my iPhone though!

Reactions: eoblaed

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
That's a lot to spend on phones, but hey...your money and you can spend it on whatever you please.

I might buy the Samsung S8 new year provided the following:

- uses the Exynos CPU (better performance and battery life than the Snapdragon)

- carrier unlocked

- hopefully less bloatware

- 64gb as the new base would be welcome, but not a necessity

- full CDMA band support (Verizon)

Reactions: ABC5S

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Honestly I have no desire to upgrade to the next iPhone this year, still really satisfied with the 6s. Now the new Nexus device might be another story.
I also am very satisfied with the 6s. I can only see myself upgrading for full waterproof or better battery life.

Reactions: Jetcat3

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
My first smartphone was the iPhone 5, before that I just used net 10 flip phone. When the 6s came out I
got a little crazy. I originally ordered 128 GB 6s rose gold on launch day. Returned it a day later because
I didn't like the battery life. Exchanged it at Apple store for a 64 GB gold 6s plus. I got bored with it and
gave it to my niece for Christmas. I had purchased a Note 5. The Note 5 is a great phone, don't get me
wrong, I still have it, but was missing the 6s plus for some reason. I purchased a 128GB silver 6s plus on
swappa. Lost the phone! Purchased another one from swappa a month later 64GB silver 6s plus, made
sure to turn on Find my iPhone this time. Oh, and I also purchased the SE from the Apple store. So, I
consider myself phone crazy lately, but I do not want to continue, because it cost a lot of money! I have
to say though I really love this silver 6s plus, and I don't know why I got bored with it.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I'm a phone addict but still don't go through as many phones as you do. In the past year, I bought a Moto X Pure Edition, Galaxy S7 Edge, and an iPhone SE. I don't sell my phones after getting new ones, though. I just keep them all.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'm a certifiable iPhone addict and I admit it and think I need help! Well not really but I am quite crazy. I love technology so I'm always buying, selling, trading phones for the latest greatest etc...

Every year I get the new iPhone on Launch day. I'm on of the geeks who stays up til midnite and orders then meticulously tracks the progress (or lack thereof) of my phone. Then every year I end up being tempted by the latest Android offerings. But I ALWAYS come back to my iPhone. The longest I lasted was with a Galaxy S7 where I lasted 2 months.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've been through like 5 or 6 iPhone 6s Pluses. I'll get an Android, be all pumped, sell my iPhone on Swappa, then realize I miss my iPhone and buy one again. I've done this with the Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p, Galaxy S7 Edge, and Galaxy S7. I'm losing money doing all this swapping but a lot less than you'd think. I really feel crazy sometimes for having purchased 5 or 6 iPhones in the last year alone at or near full price and the same amount of Androids.

I've decided to turn over a new leaf this year and I'm buying a new iPhone on day 1 (as always), then buy a new Nexus when it's released, and finally a Galaxy S8 next spring. I intend on keeping all of the devices for once and not trying to minimize cost to me. I'll use some money I came into recently to do this and be able to keep 3 flagship devices at once and not just keep 1 and constantly sell/buy etc...

Does anyone else do this and do you always come back to the iPhone like I do? I want to make sure I'm not the ONLY crazy one here. Something about iPhones that keeps me coming back but Android is improving each year. Must be that Magic that Steve and now Tim always talk about. :)

I'm with you OP. In the last 3 weeks I've had a Nexus P and a Nexus 5X. Back to my iPhone 6S. Those phones were great! Not many complaints about them. But here I am again. I think it's nice to have a quick break just to see what the difference is but I just prefer the iPhone. I'm going to stop trying to stray from my one true love. I've tried to leave more than 10 times. Lol

tuukka87

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2012
The Colony,TX
Im on my third 6s Plus. Bought on launch, got the s7 then back to the 6s plus, then got a nexus 6p, now back on 6s plus. I enjoy android for like 2 months and then always start missing IOS.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I have no idea what magic you are talking about but all i got were some -isms into my mind.
Yup. Hedonism.

People love to collect just like physical media when digital eliminated some of the need for it. Select and collect.

Find a better hobby though if you don't want to build up clutter in your house with gadgets you barely will use. Eventually, all material collections gets boring. My mother was into buying $1000 Louis Vuitton bags before she got bored of it. I have alot of hobbies and it isn't just phone collecting since 2004. But the thirst for knowledge (intangible) never gets tiring for me, right Phil Connors?

OP might still be too young or just needs a hobby to spend money on. That's cool. When you keep fulfilling that will always look half empty is when you stop. Like becoming greedy in gambling. Hedonism can only please you to a certain point. Watch the movie, Groundhog Day (1993). Bill Murray used it for good later learning different things like being a pianist and ice sculptor..

ae6dfba87a53c1d362e4bf54b8161c98_1024.jpg

Reactions: akash.nu and ABC5S

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

You should do what you want as long as you are happy and you are comfortable buying all the tech.

I know people with multimillion dollar hobbies and I think my camera equipment is expensive.

But there is something special about Apple and the way they release products that I haven't seen other companies duplicate, IMO.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The worst I've ever done was two iPhones (not counting purchases for immediate family members).

As I always say, if you have the means, do what makes you happy. Id personally constnstly swap cars if I could afford it.

Loco Emperor

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
lol I'm the same way. I cringe a bit every time I use android. Funny how I use to be a big android fanboy till I stop buying the hype

Actually I used to be majorly addicted lol. 3-4 phones per year during my android addictiOn.

I was the same with my windows phones but Microsoft isn't releasing a ton like before so I can calm that down though I am going to spend $700 on a new windows phone.

Then here comes me in June buying my iPhone 6s Plus and probably the 7 plus in September lmao

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Usually I change my phone once a year but the iPhone 6s Plus for me didn't bring enough to the table to warrant upgrading from my current iPhone 6 Plus.

I'm not needing the newest phone released. ;)

I need one that ✔️'s my wants and needs boxes. :)

I sell my current phone depending on disposable income. I generally save each month throughout the year.

I've used both iPhones , Android and Windows so am comfortable with what each brings so do not suffer from buyers remorse.

To me it's a tool and if it works and meets my current needs in regards to specs and features then I see no reason to swap / change it.

Reactions: AppleFanatic10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.