I'm at a loss for MS Paint equivalent

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ARF900, May 30, 2010.

1. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

People say that macs are really good at graphic design type work, which I rarely do anyway, but now there has a come a time when I need to do a graphic design project, and... I'm doing it in MS Paint. I just cant find a mac app that I like more than paint. I can't believe it.

I Have tried:
    Image Tricks
    Paintbrush
    Toyviewer
    Seashore
    Gimp

Any help?:confused:

2. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

its on the list.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

ARF, I'm just like you, and I'll tell you right now, we MS Paint users don't have anything on the Mac. Sorry. I've had to install Windows in a virtual machine JUST for MS Paint!

All of these people claim that this and that is the same, but they aren't like us, so they don't fully understand.

4. calb macrumors 6502

With Pixen and Pixelmator, you should have most bases covered.

5. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Seriously? The OP has already tried Paintbrush and doesn't like it, so your suggestion is to use it anyway?

7. Mirabella macrumors regular

How about the Adobe Creative Suite software, especially Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign?

8. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Pixelmator

I stumbled onto Pixelmator a few months ago after a search similar to yours. I really enjoy it, it has lots of capabilities but is straightforward to use. Also there are lots of tutorials on YouTube and elsewhere.

9. Baycon macrumors member

In all honesty, if Paintbrush doesn't fill the "gap" you need for the MS Paint equivalent, I'm not sure what will.

Someone mentioned Pixelmator, you should try it out. Otherwise, I would strongly suggest investing a few hours of your time, and learning the basic functions of Gimp / Photoshop (Element if you want to go the cheaper-yet-still-paid route). I can't really see any "design work" where MS Paint would be superior to any of these softwares.

10. striker9 macrumors member

I dont see where MS paint would be acceptable for ANY design work.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

See what I mean? People just don't get the unexplainable x-factor of MS Paint.

12. striker9 macrumors member

Name one thing MS Paint is good for compared to a legit design program. If you really want it you could probably just run Wine and port it to your mac.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You already have iPhoto. You may also want to try GraphicConverter.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Curious.

What would it take for Paintbrush to be a replacement for MS Paint? Is there a particular feature missing or something else?

15. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

toke jopic?

because honestly what can you do in mspaint that can't be done in paintbrush/seashore/gimp etc...?

lets hear ONE thing that mspaint can do and those three free alternatives can not do :rolleyes:

16. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm not going to bother trying to explain something that can't be explained. Like I said from the start, people just don't get it.

17. hoodgyno macrumors newbie

Cropping for one thing.