Carrier I'm at my wits end with "Apple SIM"!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sterl1002, Oct 29, 2014.

1. sterl1002 macrumors newbie

So yesterday I decided to activate the data on my lovely iPad Air 2 wifi+celllar and chose T-Mobile because of their 5GB data deal. So when I entered all my information, created a new account, it said "activating" then popped up "couldnt activate cellular data on network." I called Apple and was put on hold for a half hour so I hung up and called T-Mobile. Recieved a rep who was very nice and needed the ICCID number, however because my phone failed to activate properly, I never recieved a ICCID number in my About menu (my guess is when you activate on a carrier it encodes the SIM with a ID number for that carrier, because my SIM didnt activate properly, mine was never properly encoded). Everything was set up correctly in T-Mobile's system, I had a plan, account, phone number, etc. I wanted to start over with the setup, but the card wouldnt let me. The iPad registered as having been activated and gave me standard enable/disable LTE menus and such, but carrier was "unknown", still no ICCID number, and it just said "Searching..." in the top left side. The rep said I would have to go to the Apple store.

So today I went to the Apple store and after waiting a hour explained the whole complicated issue and got them to give me a new SIM, the Cellular menu reset to "Set up Cellular" and balance was resored... so I thought. There was no way to connect my prepaid plan I set up with the old SIM to my new SIM via the menus! :mad::mad: I called T-Mobile again and the rep was very rude and insisted that I needed to get a T-Mobile SIM card and that my previous SIM was a T-Mobile card and he was looking right at a T-Mobile SIM number and I was wrong (I'm guessing that a T-Mobile number was generated during my "half activation" yesterday). I asked to be trasfered to T-Mobile tech support and tech support said she can only enter a ICCID (which I didnt have because the new SIM wasnt coded as T-Mobile) or a T-Mobile SIM number. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

So here I am day 2 of paying for data I cant access. There's a T-Mobile store about 15 min walk from my apartment so I can get a card, but I'm just frustrated that my very expensive product doesnt work as advertised. :mad:

----------

I should also add nobody knew anything about how the Apple SIM worked. Including a "Geinus" who said "this is my first time actually seeing on of these".

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Sounds like your problems are with T-Mobile. So why not take a nice walk over to their store, get the card, and get it activated while at the store?

Then enjoy your new iPad.

3. Stein357 macrumors 6502

The ICCID number and the CSN number of the back of the box (it's 30 characters) are one in the same.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Yep, the number is also found under settings, general, about, ICCD.

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

So first of all, I get your frustration. Now, the problem lies with Tmobile. Your issue here is with how TMo is activating (or not) the sim. Carriers like ATT have further bastardized this sim. As another poster said, go to the TMo store and just get their sim. Hopefully carriers will iron out kinks soon.

6. sterl1002 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought but that number kept coming back invalid (tried with two different reps).

Probably what I'm going to end up doing. This post was part a exercise in venting and part adding to the knowledge about the Apple SIM since it seems like info is still limited.

----------

Tried that and SIM 1 didn't even have a box for that (just listed IMEI then MEID, modem firmware, etc.) SIM 2 has the CSN number, which didn't work when the rep tried it.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge guys :) I'll probably just hit up TMobile tomorrow and get one of their cards.

7. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Also call Tmo CS and ask for a credit for the days you were charged but couldn't access your data.

8. sterl1002 thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update. So I went to the T-Mobile store and the guy scanned my Apple SIM CSN and a few seconds later it worked! I asked what he did and he said he said "I just did a normal activation of the card."

Not sure why it didn't work when I gave the CSN number to the 2 T-Mobile CS agents on the phone, but I don't really care. Just glad I can fully utilize my new iPad now! :D

9. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

All's well that ends well. Glad to hear that it worked out.
    Now, if Apple could only push the carriers to utilize the Apple SIM as they want it utilized.

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It's a pretty sight isn't it? #

Attached Files: