I'm Back!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottsjack, Dec 17, 2014.

1. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Did it but just couldn't live with it.

A couple of months ago I sold my 2010 MP 3.2 quad, 24GB, 5870. I just got tired of "old", whatever that means and was not having good luck with USB3. It was time to join a more modern USB3/TB world.

I replaced the MP with with a 2012 mini 2.6 i7, 16GB and installed the 960GB M500 from the MP. For storage I bought an OWC Thunderbay 4 and put the MP's four HDDs in it.

That was really an excellent hardware combination assuming I did not try to do too much heavy duty stuff all at the same time. I could recommend that setup to just about anyone and since I'll probably be selling the mini and Thunderbay I definitely will be recommending it.:)

The problem was it wasn't a Mac Pro. I just bought a really clean, true 2012 in stock condition, i.e. 3.2 quad, 6GB, 5770. It definitely needs RAM, a CPU and a GPU but it feels great to have that stupidly huge hunk of aluminum back on my desk. The M500 went back into a MP and after entering a few passwords I'm back in the saddle.

Sure the Geekbench 3 scores suck but it seems to work better than the mini. Compared to the Intel HD 4000 the AMD HD 5770 isn't too shabby either!

2. Verdenshersker macrumors member

Welcome back on the "big market" :)

Are you going for Dual CPU board or "just" a big 6 core?

Tell us about your plans and what you're gonna use it for :)

3. scottsjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Not all the much really. Light Photoshop work, a little Aperture, EyeTV and a lot of fiddling around. Last night I did a couple Canon 5Dm3 three-frame HDRs without remembering that the poor beast only has 6GB RAM. It worked just fine.

I do want to get a six-core though. There are apparently plenty of used 3.33s and 3.46s on the market.

4. Verdenshersker macrumors member

Ahhh so the plan is 12-16 GB memory? Assuming you are not going crazy with work :) Myself I have 32 GB in my 2009. Yeah there is a bunch of those on the market - I look at them when I wanted to upgrade from my 2.26 Ghz, but I went with 2.93 Ghz Quad Cores - so it doesn't sound like a huge upgrade but the speed difference is huge... And the cost was $75 for both incl. shipping... So a fairly affordable too

5. scottsjack thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll probably go with 24GB of OWC memory. That's what I had on the last one and it worked out pretty good.

6. Verdenshersker macrumors member

Gotcha...

Can you tell a lot different if you are running triple or dual channel?

I mean, I would rather have 4 x 8 GB (32 GB) than the 24 GB kit

7. EdDuPlessis macrumors 6502

It's only worth going for 2 or four sticks if you are going to use a lot more memory. 64GB for example. That's when you won't care if you aren't runnin triple channels.

8. Verdenshersker macrumors member

Ahh I see, so 24 GB Triple Channel will be better than 32 GB Dual Channel?

I have 32 GB (8x4GB) in mine, but that is the dual CPU - so is that a difference?

9. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

It doesn't drop to dual channel with more sticks added. It's still 3 channel but bandwidth is shared on the 3rd channel amongst the added memory.

For example, on a single CPU machine, slots 1-3 are on independent channels, if you put memory in slot 4, that stick will share bandwidth with slot 3.