I'm being charged for text messages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maguire, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Maguire macrumors member

I am sending/receiving texts through the SMS Text icon on the iPhone 3G and I am being charged for IMs. ATT says I am using yahoo or aim and I am not. Has this happened to anyone else? I have the 200 messages plan added to my minutes and data plan.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They're saying you're using an IM application? The burden of proof should be on them for that one. However, are you certain you're not exceeding your text message plan using simple SMS?

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hmmm.. makes no sense to me...if you are getting them thru sms icon it should be regular text messages..

4. Maguire thread starter macrumors member

I am sending/receiving them thru the SMS Text icon and I have not exceeded my limit. I called ATT because when I checked my account last nite I noticed there was a red bar under the heading text/IM Pay Per Use and since I am allowed 200 text messages and I am WAY below that I was perplexed.

5. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I don't understand what they said...if you were using yahoo or aim....wouldn't it not be charged at all? It would be over the data plan and not count against your text messages...am I missing something?

6. michalko.j macrumors member

I too am seeing this on my bill. My best guess is that when you IM a phone number in an IM app, you get charged. That'd suck if it were true but it seems to make sense for my situation.

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Nope.

If, however, you set your IM account/client to forward to your mobile number, then you may be charged for inbound messages (if your plan charges you for those) or for outbound messages (if you respond via SMS.)

You will not, however, be charged for SMS messages when using an IM client, for the simple reason that said client doesn't transmit or receive any SMS data whatsoever.

8. Maguire thread starter macrumors member

I'm still confused. I don't IM nor do I use an IM client. I use the SMS text icon. I will continue to watch my account. The ATT client I got today when I called seemed very confused, I think he was new.

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well the rep was wrong. IMs and SMS messages are unrelated.

Sounds like a screw-up on ATT's part. Or you're actually using more than 200 inbound/outbound messages...