Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the next iPad mini have a retina display?

• yes

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • no

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I have a hunch Apple won't include a retina display on the next iPad mini. I think they will disappoint everyone by waiting until the third generation mini.

Anyone else agree?

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
No...

The 2nd Gen Nexus 7 just opened a can of whoop ass... Apple isn't going to take that lightly.

Plus...It is very feasible for the Mini to have the same resolution as the regular iPad. There is only 2 inches of screen size difference. I still don't understand why the Retina iPad isn't packed with more pixels as it is considering the iPhone has a much higher PPI. The tech is there.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
No...

The 2nd Gen Nexus 7 just opened a can of whoop ass... Apple isn't going to take that lightly.

but appledoesnt seem to care what the competition releases. if going by specs, apple is always last

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
My vote is yes. I'm not sure I understand the point of releasing a new mini without a retina display. Faster processor and better camera surely are not enough to get me to buy one. I won't be getting a mini until it does have a retina display, and I am sure I am not the only one who feels that way.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
but appledoesnt seem to care what the competition releases. if going by specs, apple is always last

Certainly not. Not, at least, in the mobile category. Apple has usually been one step ahead in every facet of specs with all of their mobile products. Its only until the last few years that companies have been pushing speed and screen size on Android devices, as the market has become more mature. Apple has to adapt.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have a hunch Apple won't include a retina display on the next iPad mini. I think they will disappoint everyone by waiting until the third generation mini.

Anyone else agree?

Apple does not want to disappoint everyone and Apple can't afford losing people to Android tablets. :apple:

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Apple does not want to disappoint everyone and Apple can't afford losing people to Android tablets. :apple:

This. Im assuming apple wont be so foolish as not to release a retina mini and disappoint a generation of fans.

Once retina mini release, who cares about nexus 7 fhd. The former will become the best tablet ever.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
There are 7 inch tablets out right now with IGZO Displays.

If Apple can do it, they will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.