I'm buying a used original iPhone. Need data plan? Activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doc69, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

My wife wants an iPhone but I see no point in paying $30 per month when she's not going to use the internet features. I already have an AT&T family plan for both of us. If I buy her a used original iPhone, can it be used without a data plan? Does it need to be activated? If so, what's the activation procedure?

2. angel1286 macrumors member

it is activated through itunes and the minimum data plan for the 1st gen is $20. i do believe that you have to have a data plan when the iphone is activated with att.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The data plan is required with the iPhone activation which can only be done through iTunes. There is no plan offered that doesn't include a data plan.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can always unlock the 1st gen and use no internet.

5. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

If you buy a used 1G iPhone then you can cancel the data plan, for a total bill of $47/month, after you activate it through iTunes. I, and many others, have done this. There is now a way of cancelling the data plan online on AT&T's website under "Manage Features" in your account settings.

6. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I plan on holding off on the 3G iphone and buying a used or refurbished gen 1 iphone. If I purchased a RAZR phone off ebay and had it activated I wouldn't have to sign up for a contract. Im curious if I purchase the gen 1 iphone if I will have to sign up for a contract or if it will work like the RAZR?

I figure the old data plan ($20) will be gone when the 3G iphone comes out. Thats not confirmed but I wouldn't think they would offer the gen 1 plan anymore since they no longer sell the phone.