Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hi,

I've been a PC user for over 15 years and I have decided to take the plunge for a Mac Pro as I produce music in Logic in my spare time. I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer:

1) Can I buy non-Apple RAM to upgrade the system in the future?

2) Can I buy a non-Apple HD (the HD's that ship seem standard) to put into the extra bays at a future date?

3) I am going to run 2 x 19" monitors (I already have these) what video card should I choose? I will be only using the Mac for music production (logic) so don't need any 3D cards etc.

4) Also any other tips\tricks to get the Mac Pro for less. I'm not flush with money at the moment! ;)

Thanks in advance... :)

PS: I'm based in the UK.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
dance said:
Hi,
4) Also any other tips\tricks to get the Mac Pro for less. I'm not flush with money at the moment! ;)

I can't help you with any of the technical mumbo-jumbo, but I can always help with a scam ;).

Make friends with someone in Higher Education...that's all I can say.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
dance said:
Hi,

I've been a PC user for over 15 years and I have decided to take the plunge for a Mac Pro as I produce music in Logic in my spare time. I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer:

2) Can I buy a non-Apple HD (the HD's that ship seem standard) to put into the extra bays at a future date?

3) I am going to run 2 x 19" monitors (I already have these) what video card should I choose? I will be only using the Mac for music production (logic) so don't need any 3D cards etc.

Well first congrats on taking the plunge!

1) Yes you can install non-Apple RAM, but obviously you have to make sure that what you do install is th right specification and has th appropriate cooling.

2)Yes you can install your own hard-drives

3) TO run 2 monitors , you're probably going to need the X1900XT which is a damn fine card and supports 2displays. Plus its perfect if you feel like abit of gaming one day...

4)If you don't want to use too many CPU intensive programs, then maybe the iMac is worth a look, it should be more than capable of taking on Logic Pro. But if you feel like you need that extra horsepower, then stick with the Mac Pro, go for 2.66GHz that'll save you from upgrading in the future, get the 1Gb of RAM and upgrade yourself, it'll be cheaper and stick with 250Gb HD its cheaper again. Just make sure you get BT and Airport installed, its quite useful to have!

Cheers

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dance said:
Hi,

1. Yes, just make sure the RAM is fully guaranteed for use in a Mac by the company you buy it from - and make sure it's the right RAM, those Mac Pros use FB-DIMMs and they need a big heat sink to cool.

2. There's no such thing as an Apple HDD. Apple source their hard drives from current manufacturers (Seagate, Fujitsu, etc.) so long as it's the right type of HDD it will work just fine - might need to be formatted after installation though but that's easy.

3. Go with the stock card (7300GT) it will do just fine.

4. If you can find someone who is a tertiary student you can use the Higher Education discount.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Mac Rules said:
3) TO run 2 monitors , you're probably going to need the X1900XT which is a damn fine card and supports 2displays. Plus its perfect if you feel like abit of gaming one day...

The 7300 that ships with the MacPro as standard can support a 30" ACD plus a 23" ACD, so there's no need to upgrade to the x1900XT just to get multiple-monitor support.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
gauchogolfer said:
The 7300 that ships with the MacPro as standard can support a 30" ACD plus a 23" ACD, so there's no need to upgrade to the x1900XT just to get multiple-monitor support.

Yep you're right, I just checked, sorry about that Dance, just go for the 7300. Cheers

EDIT: All together configured as above you can get it for £1749, plus any discount if you know any HE students. Cheers

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Mac Rules said:

Overkill, the stock card supports one screen up to 1920x1200 as well as a second screen up to 2560x1600 on the second port (dual-link DVI).

For someone who is not going to be doing any 3D graphics and will more likely want a cooler, quieter system, the stock card will be fine and will run both 19" without even breaking a sweat.

dance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
FleurDuMal said:
I can't help you with any of the technical mumbo-jumbo, but I can always help with a scam ;).

Make friends with someone in Higher Education...that's all I can say.

;)

How much discount does someone get if they are in higher education then? :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dance said:
;)

How much discount does someone get if they are in higher education then? :)

It varies, here in Australia it's 10%.

Just go to Apple's education store and price it up for yourself.

dance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Chundles said:
Go with the stock card (7300GT) it will do just fine.

So the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI) is suffice to run 2 x 19" monitors? As mentioned I don't need any fast 3D graphics just a rock solid 2D application card that can power 2 monitors...?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
dance said:
So the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI) is suffice to run 2 x 19" monitors? As mentioned I don't need any fast 3D graphics just a rock solid 2D application card that can power 2 monitors...?

more than sufficient. As I said, it can drive a 30" + 23" monitor.

dance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
gauchogolfer said:
more than sufficient. As I said, it can drive a 30" + 23" monitor.

Thanks! *Runs off to apple.com to buy a Mac Pro* :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.