I'm Buying Tomorrow !!! First Macbook Pro/Ipod Touch/Iphone/Wireless Printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ste1989, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ste1989 macrumors member

Hello there everyone :)
    Tomorrow I'm going to the apple store to use my brothers student discount to buy a macbook pro 13"
    I am a light user (Internet, Spotify, Word Processing, sort of thing)

Question 1 : Which macbook pro 13" is for me ? I assume the lowest processor 2.26ghz, but what about hdd and ram. Cannot afford SSD but I would like a quick booting machine, and a fast machine. Do I need the 4gb ram/ bigger hard drive ?
    Thanks

Next: I will take advantage of the almost free ipod touch offer. I really want it because of the apps/games that I will be playing, aswell as listening to music (obviously )
    However, I am stuck at the moment with a 1st gen Ipod Mini, and a Sluggish windows Mobile phone. (urgh - HTC touch dual)
    I am wondering should I get an iPhone ? to do this I would sell the New iPod. this I need to decide on quickly because I dont want to open the iPod box and use it if im going to sell.

The only issue with geting the iphone is that Im tied into an orange UK contract and so I would have to unlock the 3gs when possible to begin using it as phone. can i use it without sim while I was waiting for safe unlock?

Sorry about long post, But thanks in advance as I cant wait for my first apple stuff. :apple:

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

1) from what you say, you should be OK with the default spec. You will always be able to upgrade the RAM and HD, even cheaper than apple. I would think 4GB RAM is more than enough for your needs. SSD is amazing, but you should be fine with higher end rpm.

2) if i were you, i would go with the iphone. And yes you can use it without a sim card. And then when software unlocking comes out you can use it as a phone and an ipod.

Enjoy the purchase, you won't regret it ;)

3. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

thankyou very much I cant wait. :D will post back what I finally get tomorrow later on.

I not sure if I will be able to get the iphone tomorrow, because I dont have the money for it until I sell the ipod really :p

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Base MBP is fine for you, HD and RAM can be upgraded later on.

2. Get touch -> sell it -> buy iPhone

5. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, this seems to be the best option. cant wait for my iphone and Macbook Pro then !

Wireless printer, not so excited about :p

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Sorry i meant, you should buy the iphone after you sell the the ipod ;)

7. Nintenmac macrumors newbie

Because it is your brothers student discount you either have to bring him with you and make sure he has his student id or you have to order it online (in store they will most likely ask for proof and online you don't need anything). Also if you have enough money I would recommend the next level up because it already has the upped ram and HD and the faster CPU(which won't make much of a difference but whatever). However if you don't have enough money then the base will suit you fine.

8. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Well, ste1989, we seem to have something in common :)

I too will be doing a total :apple: buying frenzy soon. I will, however, be spending quite a bit more than you seem to (which isn't exactly a good thing...) I'll be picking up:

2.8GHz MacBook Pro 15" - 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, and iWork preinstalled
    Free Printer Deal - Canon MP620 which isn't exactly free, but only 50 bucks.
    Free iPod touch - keep/sell I don't know yet..
    iPhone 3GS 32GB Black with new contract with AT&T, individual line with unlimited text messaging.

Lots of money right there.......don't even WANT to add that up...:rolleyes:

Cheers

9. drossad macrumors regular

I agree with the others... you will be fine with the base MBP. You can upgrade later for a lot cheaper.

10. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

I got it !!!
    Typing on my macbook pro now actually :p
    Ended up buying the base mbp, an 8gb ipod touch, an 8gb 3g iphone, and a HP wireless printer.
    I think the total cost was around £1300, however I am yet to claim my £145 for Ipod touch and £60 for printer back.
    With that deducted it cost Around £1100 . Including applecare and iWork

Adjusted to it straight away, and absolutely love it. seems so much lighter than my old hp laptop, even though it is not a macbook air. Glad I didnt get the air as this weight is great for me.

Starting to get a little warm on my knee, but I dont mind :p

11. suekitch macrumors regular

Last week my apple store (Kingston) told me that they had stopped doing the printer rebate in stores :( Doh. Oh well, grats on your purchase!

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on your MBP, iTouch, iPhone and printer. Enjoy the MBP and give yourself time to get used to it. May both you and your MBP live long together and prosper.

Cheers and good luck

13. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

one question, didnt want to start a new thread,

When i downloaded messenger for mac, Its in my dock and applications folder, however it also shows the disc image thing on my desktop.

All my other apps which I downloaded don't do that. How can I make it so messenger runs without that mounted image thing

14. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

That's because the disc image is still "mounted". Drag it into your trash to "unmount" or remove it.

Take some pictures of your shiny new Mac :)

15. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Just delete it. Once you put an application in your application folder, you are free to delete the disc image (.dmg).

16. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I think he is referring to the "mounted" disk image on the desktop, not the .dmg itself. I could be wrong though.

17. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

yeah you're right, any solution?\

sorry didnt read earlier post. Will try trashing it now

18. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

congratulation

19. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Usually I eject it. Then from my downloads folder, I trash it.