I'm buying used Mac Pro (2013) what should I check?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by freshe, Aug 30, 2015.

1. freshe macrumors regular

I'm buying used Mac Pro out of warranty, seller is giving me 14 days warranty, how and what should I check to see if it's in good working order and that there are no hidden faults?

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Your head!

Just kidding, I couldn't resist. Sorry...

Run some diagnostics/benchmarks for memory, SSD, and graphics for starters. My apologies for not being more helpful, I just felt like being jovial.

3. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Fan noise, SSD speed, RAM slots (for damage) , internal screws (signes of dissasebling), both of internal GPUs present (recognized by OS X), AirPort, Bluetooth, both of LAN ports, Thunderbolt outputs, USB ports and HDMI.

4. bokkow macrumors regular

bokkow

And dust in general, did the seller smoke next to the machine, check the serial for any information online. Then I think we covered all possible caveats :)

5. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - what other info than model and warranty will I be abel to check online ?

6. chama98 macrumors regular

Make sure that it is not nicked! Ask to see original bill of sale.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Who keeps that stuff. I have a macbook pro, macmini, Ipad and two iphones and do not have the receipt for any of them.
    I may be able to look through my email and find the latest Iphone receipt since I remember Apple emailing me the receipt.

8. chama98 macrumors regular

thats silly! What about home insurance? You should keep all bills for you electronics to the point of where the equipment breaks and is no longer able to be repaired. Trust me if you need to make a claim to a insurer they will ask for bills. It will also help if you make an inventory of your possessions when making a claim. Less of a headache.

9. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

For the insurance best is photo and detailed info of the hardware. They come up with their own guesstimates anyway - so if you back it up with photo incl. specs thats best way to go imho. I maybe had receipt for one of my apple gear so far.

10. Ulenspiegel, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Hardware in general as bax2003 posted. Software wise see for yourself the general performance (boot up etc.). Last but not least as bokkow said check the serial number online.
    Good luck!

11. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Hello! Welcome to the *cough* Mac Pro *cough* forum. We don't have charger cables and batteries here I'm afraid! ;)

Who doesn't! This is an expensive bit of kit. Anyone in their right mind should be holding on to that receipt.

I have a place where I store the receipts for everything I own. Once a year I throw out the ones no longer covered by warranty.

All this talk of recklessness is causing me to have quite a turn. I think I'm going to have a sit down.

12. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

My bad. Sorry for the inattention (took it for a MacBook Pro). Corrected.

13. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

any diagnostics program I could run that would report on any hardware issues etc. ?

14. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Apple Service Diagnostic Version 3S159 is for Mac Pro (Late 2013).

15. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

This was a godsend - thunderbolt ports faulty, saved myself few quid. Thanks.

16. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Faulty TB ports on Mac Pro that somebody was selling ?

What is excact error message from ASD ?