I'm cheap, convince me to buy now!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kashmoney2006, Dec 12, 2007.

1. kashmoney2006 macrumors regular

I am a first time poster, but have been using this site for awhile. The dilema I am having is... I have had the same phone for about 3 years now and with christmas coming soon, I have the option of getting the iphone now or waiting for v2.0. My main concerns I have with the current version is 1. the small flash drive size (I would like to hold about 1,000-1,500 songs plus movies, e-mail, etc.), and 2. the EDGE connection it uses. I dont NEED the iphone yet, but it would be a nice upgrade from my ancient phone. What does everybody think I should do? Get the iphone now and regret it when v2.0 comes out, or wait.. which could possibly be awhile? what do you say?

2. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Buy it now.

I went from a full iPod to an iPod nano, and it wasn't a bad experience (the loss of GB I mean). You just have to think about what music you actually listen to and what you don't. I would LOVE a 16GB iPhone but I'm not waiting around another month for a possible upgrade. I have 22GB on my iTunes but I have a playlist with about 6gb of music that fills my needs just great (I listen to music depending on what mood i'm in, so I like a variety). Also have room for a movie or two.

As far as EDGE, I don't think i've even heard any negative results from users. The consensus seems to be, depending on where you live, it's useable and in some cases almost as fast as 3G.

iPhone 2 is many months away. Go for it and good luck. 3 year old phone? Yuck! :p

3. mets1125 macrumors regular

An option you have is to buy now, use the iphone until v2 comes out then sell this phone on ebay and buy the 2nd version. Its really your option, ask yourself if you are satisfied with the current iphones' features? If not then wait for the 2nd version.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I would wait, personally.

Could you maybe buy a cheaper phone (not the iPhone, but just another phone) off eBay to tide you over for a few months?

5. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I reckon you could convince yourself. I challenge you to play with one for 5 minutes, and then see how you feel. You wont be able to resist! :D

Seriously though, it is down to your personal preference. As said already, why not buy it now, and then sell on Ebay when a new one is released? My betting is that there will be plenty of people out there waiting for the new iPhone to be released, just so they can buy one cheaper off Ebay!

You wont regret buying it now, even if you only have it for 6 months :cool:

M

6. kashmoney2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Im liking that ebay idea. Now if v2.0 is sold at the same price of $399, do you think i would be able to sell the old for $250-$300? assuming that it is still in near perfect condition.

7. m477h3w macrumors 6502

As a general rule of thumb, you can expect 50% of the 'as new' cost, but I wouldn't mind betting they will go for a bit more. So, I think $250 would be reasonable to expect.

Being in the UK, I paid £269 for mine, and so will expect about £150ish back when I sell it to get iPhone 2 :D

8. mets1125 macrumors regular

I dont know about that. If version 2 is priced at $399 then the price of v1 will drop to prob $300. I think getting $250 is prob a safer bet.

9. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Do we really think that :apple: will continue to sell iPhone 1 after they release iPhone 2? I am not so sure that they will :eek:

10. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

You're already convinced and you *will* buy one. The reason you're posting here is that you want people to convince you NOT to buy an iPhone. But you know you want one. It's eating away at you. You want one now. You can't stop thinking about it. You're probably checking this thread every 2 minutes.

You...must...buy...iPhone...

I've had mine for months and it is AWESOME!

:D

--DotComCTO

11. mets1125 macrumors regular

Why wouldn't they???? What your saying makes no sense, they are not going to stop selling the iphone when 2nd version is released. The iphone will get a price cut when the second is released, it makes no sense for :apple: to discontinue a product that still will be selling. You can not only vater to the high end market in the cell phone business.

12. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Lol, ok. I have no real reason to say this, except the fact that :apple: never continue to sell old versions of their other products when new ones come out e.g. iPod, Macs, or at least as far as I know! I just assume the iPhone will be the same. :confused:

13. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Why not just get a free new phone from ATT now to hold you over (since I'll still be better than a 3yr old phone) and get the v2 when it comes out. You get no discount when purchasing the iphone anyway.

14. kashmoney2006 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah never thought about either. My phone now works fine for calls but if i could get another for free i wouldnt mind that. Ill have to look over what phones they have for free.

15. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I too had been using an old basic phone. I didn't plan on getting the iphone at all. I got caught up in all the hype and got one in July. Now i coulnd't imaging not having it. Maybe because i never had email or internet on my phone before and i would like any smart phone w/ these features but the interface is fantastic. I used to carry a pager, cell phone, and pda. I wouldn't want a smart phone that uses a stylus like my pda used or one with an actual keyboard. I think the elagance of using your finger to do everything makes it a cut above the rest. Sure it doens't have all the features that other phones have, but it just works well.

Also i never had an ipod either and i realized how much i've missed out on taking podcasts with me.

I had to switch carriers to get the iphone but luckily my old phone was out of contract. I'm paying a lot more per month then before but it's worth it. My wife is happy too because i no longer have to go on my main computer to check my email or surf. I can just be on the couch w/ her and do my internet stuff.

As far as 3g goes... edge if not bad, i do have wifi at home so i don't have to use edge but i lived without the wifi for the first few months and it edge did a good job. But wifi is certainly faster and i would recommend getting it at home.

16. chewbee macrumors member

I'm waiting to hear what Jobs announces in mid-January.

I tried iPhone's EDGE in an AT&T store and didn't think it was worth $400 plus $20 extra per month. I asked myself, How much would I regret buying it now if in the Spring there's a superfast iPhone with 16gigs of storage available for the same price? I'd regret it for sure.

Also, I think there will be a lot of version 1 iPhones on the refurbished Apple store when the version 2 comes out.

17. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Only wanted to post in this thread to respond to this comment. Underneath is a picture of my About screen on my iPhone. That should help you put things in perspective with respect to how much you can fit in it. But, take not that, to put as many songs (and podcasts, both audio and video) as I have, you need to take all your high bitrate songs (>200kbps) and reencode them (using iTunes) down to 128 kbps AAC. I've read up alot on AAC and am now also of the opinion that it is a superior audio codec (at least to MP3). 128 kbps AAC is equivalent (ears wise) to 192 kbps MP3. Playing songs from my iPhone, I hear NO audio degradation at all. Also, if I got rid of the classical albums I have on there right now (for finals week) and got my songs back down to the 1500 they usually are, I could use the extra 1.2 gigs (about) it frees up to load on 2 full length movies (encoded at native iPhone resolution using Visual Hub) or 4-5 hour long television shows. In conclusion, I've gone from a 60gb iPod to an 8gb iPhone, and as much as I thought I'd hate the lack of space, it really hasn't turned out to be a pain to me at all. What I have on my iPhone, I actually listen to. And when I don't wanna listen to anything on it, I can either open up the browser and point myself at seeqpod.com and listen to any song I want, use iRadio (native app) on the iPhone to bring up internet radio stations (only on Wi-Fi), or use MobileScrobbler to connect to my LastFM.com account and listen to my radio station.

Attached Files:

18. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Is it a bad idea to have that screenshot with my serial number up? I mean, what could someone maliciously do with my serial number?

19. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

uh, it's probably not a grand idea, you should probably take the picture down or blur out your serial #. :/

dunno why, just seems like a good idea to do so. ( better safe than sorry )

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

I was told by friends with connections in ATT that the 3G phone is expected in February. No word on feature set.

Apparantly its been announced interally and a filing has been made with the FCC thought I cannot confirm the filing.

21. kashmoney2006 thread starter macrumors regular

that would be nice. I think I am going to at least wait until mac-world which ill be going to. Maybe they will tell us something then. who really knows for sure. :confused:

22. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

you're friend is full of crap!
    there is no way anyone (but maybe a board member) at AT&T knows anything about the next iPhone!

But remember people, Apple still has to get FCC approval, and since Apple hasn't filed for approval yet, there is no way you will see it at macworld!

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If a 3G phone comes out in February, Europeans are going to go mad (me too even though I'm in the U.S). ha-ha.

I think they should target June, for release, if ready by then. That is a year for the USA customers, and at least would put Europe at 7 months or so, so those people don't feel so ripped off with an EDGE phone.

24. chewbee macrumors member

I keep hearing this, but is it really this way? Could Apple get approval ahead of time, or get approval within a week or month or something? Does the FCC require several months of time just to approve the use of G3?

25. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Sure they could, but the second they file for FCC approval everyone will know!
    But it would still take them a few months for the FCC to approve it.