Im coming to the US - what should I see?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joefinan, Apr 5, 2008.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Any suggestions for a three week holiday? In particular, what's the best theme park??

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Cali. New York City. Florida. Georgia (make sure you pick the right place, though).

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the US is a huge place, and it all depends on where you want to go and what you want to do and see. no way you'll get through it all in that short of time.

best theme park? i don't know, but Cedar Point in OH and Busch Gardens in FL are supposed to be two of the biggest/best from what i have heard. but someone else might know better than me.

4. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

5. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

As has been said before, the US is huge so you need to narrow your options down. A lot.

I have only been twice, once to Seattle and once to Orlando, and they both had a lot to offer although in very different ways.

You could liken Orlando to Blackpool in the UK, but somehow it seems less seedy and more enjoyable. It is also full of theme parks. Busch Gardens is about an hour or two to the west in Tampa, but it is probably the finest theme park I have ever been to. An hour to the east of Orlando and you hit the Atlantic coast, in particular the Kennedy Space Center - well worth a visit even if you're not particularly interested in space travel

Seattle is a world away from Orlando. It's the birthplace of grunge music, but to look at the city you'd never know it. I found it to be a very welcoming city with a lot to see and do for the tourist. Of course, you're not very far from Redmond and the Microsoft campus, but I'm sure you could cope with that.

I'm hoping to tak a trip to see a friend in Texas pretty soon, so you can tell that me USA experiences so far haven't put me off.

6. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Cedar Point is definitely impressive, but there is NOTHING to do besides that in Sandusky, Ohio, which is not the most glamorous place, if you get my drift. Maybe Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA, where you can do some history and see some of the beautiful landscape? I don't know if you're into camping or anything like that.

I'd definitely narrow it down to a coast. If you do Philadephia/NYC/Boston, those are all on train lines to one another. Those are great destinations if you like good food, museums, etc.

Bon Voyage!

7. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

These are great tips everyone, thanks! (the best bit about having a Mac is other Mac users and their kind, helpful nature)

It sounds like I might stick to the East Coast cos I definitely want to see NY (even though that cancels the NASA idea), but I appreciate your comments about Sandusky.

I also fancy a long train trip to some other place, so looking into that too.

I guess I'm just finding the whole thing a bit daunting!! If there's any other parts of the US you were over-whelmed by or any other ideas, I'd love to hear them...

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I would stick to the East Coast to save $$$ (less flying).

I would see New York and Washington DC. Those are musts. Maybe Boston Too if you want.

New York (My Former Home):
    - Statue of Liberty (a must)
    - Ellis Island
    - Times Square
    - Broadway
    - World Trade Center
    - Empire State Building
    - Grand Central Station
    - Rockefeller Center- Radio City Music Hall
    - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    - Central Park (during the day)
    - Museum of Natural History
    - Museum of Modern Art
    - Madam Tussauds House of Wax
    - One of the many theme restaurants
    - Wallstreet
    - Canal Street (tons of inexpensive fake stuff)
    - Yankees Baseball Game!!
    - BRONX ZOO!

Boston isn't as fun in my opinion, you'll probably be bored.
    - Red Sox Game
    - Freedom Trail (yay...)
    - Boston Science Museum
    - Duck Tours
    - Common
    - Beacon Hill

Washington:
    - White House
    - Washington Monument
    - National Zoo
    - Smithsonian
    - etc etc etc

As for amusement parks there is also Hershey (like the Chocolate company) Park in Pennsylvania. There is also Busch Gardens in Virigina which is right near Historical Williamsburg if you're into that kind of stuff.

Keep in mind that things don't seem as close as they look. Boston to NY is probably 6.5 hours by car. You can take the Fung Wah bus for pretty cheap though. NY to Washington is probably 4 hours.

America is a huge country and very diverse. Depending on where you go you'll see totally different things.

As for traveling by trains... I've heard some sketchy things happen on trains in the US. Most people usually drive places or fly. Occasionally they will take a bus.

9. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Take it from me, I'm from Ohio and just moved to California:

1. Disneyland and California Adventure in Southern California.
    2. San Francisco, Golden Gate Bridge, China Town, Pier 39....
    3. Definitely In 'n Out burger... Better than McDonalds, Burger King, etc.
    4. Wine Country in Sonoma-Santa Rosa especially but I'm a big fan of Korbel.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

~Crawn

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Burger king and Dr.Pepper and coke taste better in the US, oh oh and also street pizza in new York is so good, if there is somethign i miss from the us up here in Canada it's gotta be Figaro pizza (NY) and Papa Johns pizza..

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Mmmm definitely. Also give Nations (Giant Burgers) a try!

As far as the best theme park, I don't really know. I've been to Great America and Six Flags Marine World (I think it has a new name now). Along with a bunch of others like Disneyland and CA Adventure. But I think that the best Theme Park is not in California.

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Oh yea there is also Six Flags New England in Agawam, Massachusetts (maybe 1.5hrs out of Boston) and Lake Compounce in Bristol, Connecticut (2.5 Hours from Boston)

Six Flags is pretty big. I've never been there, I'm not much of an amusement park person. I have been to Lake Compounce which isn't huge but its still a pretty fun place. I saw an "amusement park" in Ireland and it was a complete joke compared to everything here.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you haven't had pizza until you've had chicago style :p

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hmmm,, that's up in my list now...

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Lies, lies, lies.

NY Pizza- FTW

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you have to have had both to decide which you prefer.

NY Pizza - paper with grease and stuff.
    Chicago Pizza - almost a pie-like pizza

17. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

you forgot magic mountain, especially if you're a coaster fan. there's also knotts berry farm, and san diego has sea world and balboa park.

i wouldn't recommend orlando, too tourist trappy and i feel it's a bit kiddy. and florida in the summer is kinda slow, especially on the gulf side.

18. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Just an idea, but fly into Boston, rent a car, and head down I-95. You'll hit Boston, NY, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC. Spend a few days in each city 'cause theirs tons to see and do. You can then fly back home from DC.

Rent a car because train rides are soooooo slow. Traffic can be a headache, but it'll still let you spend much more time in the places you want to travel. Also depends on when you're planning on coming.

If you're into baseball, all the above cities have great ballparks. About 1 1/2 hour south of DC is a theme park called Kings Dominion. Might not be the best in the US or anything, but you could definitely spend a day or two and have a ball.

19. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

just go to ca.

and drive highway one.

california ftw.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, NASA is on the east coast, just a little south (1,000 miles or so) of NY. ;) I'd definitely try and go to Washington DC. I believe there is commuter train service from NYC. Lots of museums and sights to see there.

21. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

If you're gonna stick to the east coast. This is what I suggest:

Fly into Boston, stay a few days....see the city, it's pretty nice, it has an old world European feel to it. And then buy yourself an Amtrak ticket to NYC...do the same thing, see what you like, then take another Amtrak train to DC.

Rent a car in DC a go down to Williamsburg in Virginia (very colonial, interesting place) and do Busch Gardens if you want to see a theme park. There's also a Six Flags in Massachusetts and in NEw Jersey. Fly as little as possible--it's a huge hassle these days, even on domestic flights. The Amtrak northeast corridor is about the only long range train that works in the United States....it's very popular and very reliable. Takes you from Boston to Washington...that's why I suggest going to Boston first so you can work your way down.

22. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

really? someone comes to america and you send them to an in and out burger? i think you could have thought for 5 more seconds and came up with a better idea.

Florida is great all around. disney theme parks in orlando, Universal Stuidos and Islands Of Adventure. Bush Gardens is great too.

NYC. just visit it for a couple days. Its boiled down america. Washington Dc if you want to know our history and government.

Midwest Like colorado, utah for great parks and wildlife.

California for everything. But it will cost a lot and you need a lot of travel time to see stuff there. Its spread out.

Other than that, europe in general has us beat on great landmarks in my opinion.

23. Hmac macrumors 68020

Three weeks!

I've lived in the US all my life and I haven't seen it all. I haven't even seen most of it.

If your trip is going to be sight-seeing and theme park-oriented, it's gotta be Orlando, especially if you have kids. Disneyworld, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens (rent a car), Sea World, Kennedy Space Center. Be aware that Florida can be unpleasantly hot and humid in the summer, especially for someone accustomed to a cooler climate.

It's hard to recommend things to see in the US without mentioning the Grand Canyon and the desert Southwest, but that's a long way from the east coast...about 2200 miles/3500 kilometers, and while the heat in Orlando in the summer can be unpleasant, the heat in Phoenix, for example, is better described as brutal. The train thing...I don't know. Europe has an extremely advanced rail transportation system. The US...not so much.

My guess, you'll get best use of your three weeks by staying in one general area and driving, or plan two or three destinations prepared to fly.

24. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Not a roller-coaster theme park, but Blizzard Beach in Disney World was awesome.

25. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I second that! Highway 1 is wonderful...

Do what I did, get a '68 Mustang convertible and drive it, it's really fun and beautiful!

~Crawn