Im confused about Bundle Identifier

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Josh Kahane, May 9, 2009.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

So I'm working on getting my app onto the app store, but it says this:

The binary you uploaded was invalid. The bundle identifier contains disallowed characters. (See the section of the iPhone Application Programming Guide entitled The Application Bundle.)

Currently I have my Bundle Identifier as this:
    com.mycompany.thegame

But in the Apple documentation I dont really understand how it explains to set this. My App ID is the number Apple gives me and the asterix.
    (number).*
    Know what I mean?

Please help, thanks.

2. neoserver macrumors 6502

your bundle identifier needs to be the same as the App ID you registered in the Developer Portal. You change your bundle identifier by going into your project, under Targets and doing a "Get Info" on your application target. Then under the properties tab you should see a field for identifier.

your App ID shoud resemble something like: [Numeric Garbage].com.yourcompany.yourappname

you should set your bundle identifier to com.yourcompany.yourappname.

If you chose to use an asterisk for your app id (eg. com.yourcompany.*)

Then you would (as far as I know, I don't use asterisks) still set your bundle identifier to com.yourcompany.yourappname (ensuring that the com.yourcompany. bit is identical to the App ID)

Hope this makes sense :)

3. man2manno macrumors member

Question too

I have a similar question.
    I submitted an app to the App Store about a month ago and the Bundle Identifier was something like:
    <full_reverse_dns_university_and_application_or_suite_name>
    I am trying to update that same app, and I made the bundle Identifier the same thing however I am getting that "The bundle identifier contains disallowed characters" error. But when I make it the .com.yourcompany.yourappname I get an error saying something like "The Applications bundle identifier needs to be the same as the minor verison"

Any thoughts? Thanks

4. neoserver macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I haven't submitted an update to the App store for my app yet so I don't know the system for that sorry...

5. radiationburn macrumors newbie

Settings

Does anyone know how to find the bundle identifier to create icons in iPhone settings? For example; infiniboard appears in the settings section of iPhone 4 and has the standard Infiniboard icon. I would like to create an icon to match my current theme. But, I can't figure out how to find the bundle identifier. Like the identifier for Vlock Hide is com.ashman.ClockHideSettings. How do I find the bundle identifier for other settings apps?