I'm confused about how Airprint will work.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wackymacky, Nov 11, 2010.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I'm a bit confused at how airport will work on iOS4.2

I currently use 3rd party apps to print from my iPad to two printers that are plugged in to the USB port of a time capsule that is acting as the router for my home network (no they are not new HP printers)

Will I be able to print natively on iOS4.2 the same way?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It should have to be plugged directly into the Mac, then you must turn on printer sharing.

3. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

4. djlexus macrumors member

airprint

a i have 4.2 and the new 10.6.5 and i had to mod my update to get airprint to work. b. that setup should work as long as the printer can be seen on the mac. I have a wireless printer setup and have airprint going thru my macbook. It works great. so i would imagine that setup would work too but i cant say 100%

5. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

How so?

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

As long your Mac or PC has the printer listed and you turn on printer sharing, iOS 4.2 will see it. You also don't need to modify anything on the 10.6.5 update as AirPrint is included as part of the new iTunes update 10.1, not in 10.6.5 update as many are fooled into thinking. The printer can be plugged in through USB or added as a WiFi-enabled printer. I think Time Capsule connected printers should work fine but you need a Mac or PC to serve as the print server.

7. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Because you really shouldn't need to switch on an intermediate machine to handling printing for the iPad when plenty of apps are able to do it directly, albeit in an unintegrated way.

8. imacken macrumors 65816

Really? I suggested that very same thing here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1046990 and it was dismissed completely as even being a possibility!

9. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

A waste of time for me to upgrade to the new OS.

I read at least 30 PDF's a week from web sites

Currently if I find something on the web i want to print,

say: ".forexample.com/yummy-cookie-recipies.pdf", or a more realistic example http://www.ebmt.org/4registry/activity/link 8 economics paperbjh.pdf

I can view the PDF in Safari on iPad, but that's it. If I want to print it, I have to copy the URL and go into a 3rd party App, use that app's browser to open the PDF, the save it as a file then print it. A right pain in the ass.

I can however do this from the comfort of my sofa, while my iMac and my wife's MacBook are tucked up fast asleep.

I don't want to have to have my desktop turned on to print the file via the Mac.

The other issue is often the files that I would like to print I access via my work’s proxy server, which I can do fine in Safari, though the simple web-browsers built into the PDF/file manager apps sometimes don’t work well with the proxy.

10. imacken macrumors 65816

Firstly, it shouldn't be a 'waste of time' to upgrade. There is a lot more to 4.2 than just Airprint. For me, the unified Inbox, multi-tasking and folders are the best aspect.
    Additionally, you can print to any of the HP e-printers without having to have your desktop switched on.
    More Airprint compatible printers to come soon as well, obviously.

11. stix macrumors member

It doesn't make the printing any easier, but if you use Goodreader you can just put a "g" in front of the URL (making "http" into "ghttp") and this will automatically open the PDF in Goodreader. Might make things a bit less painful. If you knew this already, I apologise :eek:

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

This is incorrect. It's a part of 10.1 (or was) for Windows. For the Mac, it was part of 10.6.5.

Here is a handy app to install AirPrint for 10.6.5.

13. imacken macrumors 65816

Not sure if you are still correct on that. As you said, it was part of 10.6.5, but not any more.
    There is speculation that it will now be part of iTunes 10.1 on Mac as well as Windows.

14. Cakester macrumors regular

I'm still not sure why all these people are still printing for ? Seems a little ancient-ish.

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

AirPrint is not a part of iTunes 10.1 released today, mac or windows, so we can put that speculation to rest.

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Does AirPrint still work on shared printers with 10.6.5+the three files, the final release of iTunes, and the new 2nd GM of 4.2 for iPad?

17. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

As of right now, AirPrint only seems to work for a handful of HP Printers (ePrinters) that support the AirPrint protocol.

An earlier beta allowed you to use any printer shared on a Mac or PC. There is a lot of speculation as to how this will work once all the pieces are finally launched.

It seems highly likely that what rolls out in November as "AirPrint" will be expanded over time to cover additional printers, and additional connection types, such as Time Capsule / Airport Extreme connected printers or JetDirect network connected printers.

We'll just have to wait as printing matures on the iOS platform. In the mean time, third-party Apps will fill in some of the gaps.

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have the airprint working for me but it's useless... I do a lot of printing but the need to keep my laptop on in order to print from the ipad doesn't serve the so called "portable" purpose in this situation. For now i just use the HP iPrint app which detects my HP printer on the network and prints to it... wish airprint worked the same way (Apple can easily obtain the drivers like they have for the mac's and implement or allow the vendor to implement on the iOS). Whatever it maybe, I hope Apple has something better planned out for AirPrint; the e-printers by HP are good for mobile printing like the iPhone or BlackBerry or Android - the iPad though, in my perspective, is not a "mobile" device in this particular situation... that being said does the iPad deserve a FB app? Yes. Oh and also, Mark Zukenburg is correct about iPad not being a mobile device however it is still the kind of portability and does deserve a FB app. There... I spoke my mind.

19. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Or plugged directly to an Airport Extreme used as the network router.

20. imacken macrumors 65816

HP iPrint is very limited in what it can print though.
    Why don't you try one of the Dataviz apps like 'Print n Share' or 'Printcentral'. They print directly to any HP wi-fi printer (they have the entire HP SDK built-in) or any network shared printers.
    Much more flexible than what Airprint or HP iPrint offer.

21. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

If only AirPrint were a standard (but permanent) app like this, or the Print button would allow an Open In... your preferred print application. :/

22. imacken macrumors 65816

Yes, it does.
    Also, the new version of Office2HD also supports Airprint.

23. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

The only printers that will print natively with AirPrint are certain HP printers that have the ePrint feature built in. There are about 8 to 10 printers on the list. Go to the HP site and search ePrint for the complete list. Other HP printers will print natively ONLY if HP releases a firmware upgrade for the particular printer.

Being able to print natively was very important to me so I bought a new HP printer with ePrint. I knew my 3 yr+ old HP all in one probably would not work unless connected to a Mac or PC and I did not want to have to print that way. I wanted the direct printing for me.

24. imacken macrumors 65816

The Dataviz apps, e.g. Print n Share or Printcentral, have supported printing directly to ALL HP wi-fi printers (not just the e-ones) for months now, and they print to any shared printer.
    Much more flexible than Airprint was/is.

25. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I just got a new HP Photosmart B110 with support for ePrint. I installed it on my Mac, shared it but my iPad cannot find it. I have iTunes 10.1, Mac OS X 10.6.5 nd of course the GM2 for the iPad.
    Bonjour is enabled on the printer and I can see him wirelessly from my Mac Pro.
    Any ideas?